SS amp for hd800's/jh-13's
Dec 29, 2009 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hockeyb213

BANNED: BAD TRADER
Well I have narrowed down my options for which amp I want to get for my hd800's and I am interested to see what you guys have to recommend. I am not into tubes so I have thrown out the idea of any tube amps for my setup. If you have a recommendation that I don't have in the poll feel free to elaborate.

Thanks

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 17
Well don't you pick headphones at complete opposite sides of the spectrum! I think your biggest challenge will be gain. For HD800, you'll be wanting to push +/- 10V voltage swing with a bit of current and a gain of 5 at least, more likely 8 or so. For the JH13s, it'll be no more than a couple of volts and unity gain or a gain of 2 will suffice. Just don't add balanced to the mix or you'll drive yourself nuts.
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 17
I was one of the "other" votes. I think you should also consider the RSA Apache. I like it very much with both my HD 800 and my UE 11. At the moment I am running the HD 800 balanced and the UE 11 single-ended, but I have ordered a balanced cable for the UE 11 from Whiplash Audio and can't wait to hear how they sound balanced.

I don't have much experience with other amps, so I can't do a comparison, but I think that it would make sense to get one which gives you the option of going balanced. I believe that this made a clear improvement with the HD 800, but check out the thread on balanced in the high-end forum.

If you are interested in a Luxman, which I believe is not balanced, there is a new one out. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/ne...n-p-1u-450609/

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 17
The Beta 22 is a neutral, wire with gain amplifier that may or may not satisfy you, depending on whether you like the 800's as they are. I personally have enjoyed the combination when I have heard it (multiple times). From what I've read the gsx is very similar, with one guy who had both saying he couldn't tell the two apart, but I've never heard the gsx.

I, personally, don't really care for what the apache does- it's forward in the mids and has the rsa house sound, but I don't think it matches the bass quality or quantity, transparency, speed, or dynamics of the beta. It's also class , iirc.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted "other." The Luxman P1 is absolutely stunning with both the HD800s and JH13s.

You might have to put up a WTB. My understanding is that it was discontinued due to lack of available parts. I recently remember reading somewhere that maybe that was no longer true, but I don't know.

I've only heard other members' Luxmans. I'm not sure where they purchased them, but I'll try and find out and get back to you if someone doesn't answer here first.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 17
I would love to buy a beta since I am a big fan of neutrality but when I posted a wtb / looking for builder thread I never was able to find someone and I missed out on the stuffed boards thread today.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to buy a beta since I am a big fan of neutrality but when I posted a wtb / looking for builder thread I never was able to find someone and I missed out on the stuffed boards thread today.

Yeah, you'd need to either find someone willing to sell a beta, buy one from the only retailer (YBM) at around the mid $2XXX, or hire a builder. Builders aren't allowed to profit on builds though, so you'll need to either be patient waiting on a FS or go with the GS-X.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 17
So if I wanted to have a builder do it for me is there anyone in particular who I should go to? I have attempted to contact Mister X but he didn't seem to want the business so I have to find someone else.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

I was just looking into the luxman p1 and I can't seem to find the retailer that sells them? Could someone point me in the right direction?

TTVJ sells the P1u. Also, you can search Luxman on Agon and find a dealer there.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

If you're looking for a builder for a B22, here is one:

YBMaudio

You will have to e-mail them to get a quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back