SR71, Hornet & Tomahawk Size Comparison
May 12, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #16 of 49
Thanks for the animations. It'd be pretty useful for any potential buyers. I hope Ray introduces an updated SR-71 with a charging circuit soon.

May 12, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 49
thanks for being creative and putting the time in to help us better see and understand what we may buy.

I just got the SR71 yesterday, already burned in....yeah baby
the Portaphile maxed is right with it tho
yet, several times I was stunned by the SR71, especially going from silence to pure clairty of sound. Was listening to Who's Next, great CD since there are songs that just start with a bang, to those with multi and different instruments starting off the song for a while before vocals, to love ballads, Townshend really does so much, heard better than ever his acoustic guitar behind the singing and his leads.

Gad,

I have a feeling I will want a Hornet, let me know over time please what you find is the difference and is it enough to get the Hornet...besides size difference.

thanks again for the cool pics.

May 12, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 49
This pic shows pretty well how big of a difference there is in size:

image10.jpg

The TH looks UBER tiny...look at the 1/4 adaptor up near the silver LaRocco poking out behind my screen. The TH is about as long as that adaptor, lol.

May 12, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #21 of 49
This thread also shows how much people exaggerate by saying something isn't portable, but "transportable". Christ, look at the size of the SR71...that's the biggest offering from RS and people are saying it's too big...

May 12, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #22 of 49
Well it's all relative, the sr-71 is about the width of an iPod/video, while the Tomahawk is about the width of a nano. For some the iPod/video is just too large, and only the nano will do
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #24 of 49
So far the SR-71 is fine for my size needs. Now, if I went and got a new nano, it would be the tomahawk or the hornet. But for now, I'm avoiding to have to make that decision and my wallet thanks me.

May 13, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread also shows how much people exaggerate by saying something isn't portable, but "transportable". Christ, look at the size of the SR71...that's the biggest offering from RS and people are saying it's too big...

xp7 with two 9volts
icon10.gif

May 13, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #26 of 49
Well done! Grat idea, should be very useful!

May 14, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by frekvens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would be pleased to hear you compare the tomahawk with the hornet. Seing the sizedifference like this, I guess there should be a differens? always nice to go down in size, but when I buy my first amp (portable) I dont want the "next" best in sound. -.- (currently only owner of IEM'S). Any1 else who knows something, been reading alot of threads on this but its always jadda jadda..~~ triple.fi + toma or hornet give me good link :]

I have both amps. They are both great, but the hornet has a bigger sound, better bass control and better overall sound, but it is really close. However the Tomahawk battery life is close to endless (it will literally run for weeks and you can leave it on 24/7 so it is always warmed up). I have not ever turned it off in the several months I've owned it.

Also the size factor with the Tomahawk is amazing. Pair a Tomahawk with a Nano and you've got a package smaller than the big iPods.

I was going to sell my Hornet when I bought my Tomahawk, but now I use Hornet at home and Tomahawk on the tube.

Ah yes, but then I went and bought an iMod. Wow. Mindblowingly better than my nano. Woops. Maybe I need an SR71 or better now? This is getting crazy.

So hopefully I answered your question (the answer is to buy both
wink.gif

P.s. I listen with Ultimate Ears UE-10's.

May 14, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #28 of 49
The Tomahawk is tinny, but still too big for me. The 80gb iPod on its own is perfect. Anything thicker and I can't stuff into my jeans pockets. If I can't do that, then I have to carry around a bag, which I don't usually use. How thin/thick is the Nano/Tomahawk combo?

May 14, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegleg85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both amps. They are both great, but the hornet has a bigger sound, better bass control and better overall sound, but it is really close. However the Tomahawk battery life is close to endless (it will literally run for weeks and you can leave it on 24/7 so it is always warmed up). I have not ever turned it off in the several months I've owned it.

Also the size factor with the Tomahawk is amazing. Pair a Tomahawk with a Nano and you've got a package smaller than the big iPods.

I was going to sell my Hornet when I bought my Tomahawk, but now I use Hornet at home and Tomahawk on the tube.

Ah yes, but then I went and bought an iMod. Wow. Mindblowingly better than my nano. Woops. Maybe I need an SR71 or better now? This is getting crazy.

So hopefully I answered your question (the answer is to buy both
wink.gif

P.s. I listen with Ultimate Ears UE-10's.

guess so then-.- but ****, is the hornet really to big to carry without a bag ?

May 14, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #30 of 49
wow -- i don't consider a sr-71 as big at all. just shows how small the others are.

regardless of the size, i would never carry at amp around in my pocket with an ipod -- well maybe a coat pocket (but not with an sr-71)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back