SR60-Mod
May 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3,616 of 5,004

Quote:
me too, but i found out i can get blu tack easier and faster than dynamat around here. 

guess I'll go for it. after all its removable

When I went to an automotive audio installer near me here in the U.S., I was able to get about 1.5 square feet of Dynamat for $15.00.  I'm not sure what kind of prices blue tack commands, but for me, getting the Dynamat was easy.  I guess it's just a matter as to whether you live near a larger suburban area that can support car audio installers - and, if they'll sell you the materials for a good price.  The stuff I got was cut off their industrial sized rolls that they have since they usually go through it pretty quickly on a full auto install.

May 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #3,617 of 5,004
Oh how I miss the Bilavideo.  Bill was working on the wooden liners for my SR325i headphones - up until his foot / leg injury.  Grado returned my SR325i headphones back to me today after having them for two weeks (as promised) and charging only $45.00 for repairs.  They replaced both drivers with new drivers and installed a new cable.  However, the cable kind of caught my attention as it appears to be something that would be utilized on a pair of SR60i headphones.  It actually has the same thickness as my SR60 headphones - and is essentially the same thickness as the cable was on the 325s when I sent them in to them.  However, this cable is pre-fitted with the 1/8" plug and they included the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter so I could utilize it for my regular 1/4" jacks.  It seemed kind of weird that they fitted a pair of SR325s with such a cable, but I guess that's what they had available, so they used it.  Now, hopefully, the utilized the drivers designed for 325 series - and not the drivers from a lower model.

However, I will give them credit.  Grado did delivery - and exactly as promised with this repair.  Plus, it was just $45.00 to have all this work done and they covered the shipping back to my residence.

May 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3,618 of 5,004

Quote:
Oh how I miss the Bilavideo.  Bill was working on the wooden liners for my SR325i headphones - up until his foot / leg injury.  Grado returned my SR325i headphones back to me today after having them for two weeks (as promised) and charging only $45.00 for repairs.  They replaced both drivers with new drivers and installed a new cable.  However, the cable kind of caught my attention as it appears to be something that would be utilized on a pair of SR60i headphones.  It actually has the same thickness as my SR60 headphones - and is essentially the same thickness as the cable was on the 325s when I sent them in to them.  However, this cable is pre-fitted with the 1/8" plug and they included the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter so I could utilize it for my regular 1/4" jacks.  It seemed kind of weird that they fitted a pair of SR325s with such a cable, but I guess that's what they had available, so they used it.  Now, hopefully, the utilized the drivers designed for 325 series - and not the drivers from a lower model.

However, I will give them credit.  Grado did delivery - and exactly as promised with this repair.  Plus, it was just $45.00 to have all this work done and they covered the shipping back to my residence.

45$ for a pair of 325 drivers and cable sounds good.

But, if the cable and the plug is the same as in the sr60.... how do you know they didnt put sr60 drivers in it?

May 4, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #3,619 of 5,004

[size=medium]
I think you guys are getting a little confused I didn't use a rean plug I used a plug from vintage_audio_lab because it looked cool (the carbon fiber) and was rhodium plated (which sounded cool) I used the rean plug sleeve to fill the gap between the cable and the inside diameter of the vintage_audio_lab plug. I do like switch craft for 3.5mm but once you start using 20awg wire it gets cramped.
[/size]

May 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #3,620 of 5,004

Quote:
me too, but i found out i can get blu tack easier and faster than dynamat around here. 

guess I'll go for it. after all its removable

I hear ya man. Good luck with whatever you can get your hands on. They do sell some dynamat knock offs and vinyl type things.. also tar based sound dampeners. and spray on dampener too. 

May 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #3,622 of 5,004

Quote:
There are no SR-60 drivers, the SR drivers are all the same.

Shocked_Kidz_at_pc_sm.jpg

May 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3,624 of 5,004

Quote:
45$ for a pair of 325 drivers and cable sounds good.

But, if the cable and the plug is the same as in the sr60.... how do you know they didnt put sr60 drivers in it?

Because, I just know.  The SR325i has a sound signature of its "own".  It is one that is quite different from the other lower-model SR series of Grados.  Now that I have my SR325i headphones back, I'm in the same situation as before.  1) Do I listen to a warmer sounding headphone with tamed highs (SR325i)?  or, 2) Do I listen to my woodied and modified SR225 headphones that have a bit more dynamic at the upper end and a great lower end (due to the wood cups) as well as some great mid-range.

I think for anyone who picked up a pair of stock Grados (pick the SR225i) for example.  Most people mistake the details for the headphones as having a brighter sound.  However, I feel if all these people were to try a pair of SR325i, they would have a totally different opinion of Grado from the beginning.

May 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #3,625 of 5,004

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Cables can only do so much and thats one of the only obvious changes from 60-125. 225 has the metal grill and 325 is aluminum, so they have their own differences, but just a cable will not change the sound as much as they do. They have to change the drivers somewhat to accomplish these differences.

May 5, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #3,627 of 5,004
May 5, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #3,628 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Cables can only do so much and thats one of the only obvious changes from 60-125. 225 has the metal grill and 325 is aluminum, so they have their own differences, but just a cable will not change the sound as much as they do. They have to change the drivers somewhat to accomplish these differences.

I should be able to weigh in on this soon enough. I bought an SR225i not to long ago that I plan on woodying exactly the same way as my SR60. The new wood should be on the 60 by Saturday. Maybe tommorow night who knows. Anyway stock to stock...plastic to plastic the 225 is a better headphone. The only difference is the cable and the grill as far as I can tell. I'll let you know how they sound wood to wood when they are finished.

May 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #3,629 of 5,004

Quote:
I should be able to weigh in on this soon enough. I bought an SR225i not to long ago that I plan on woodying exactly the same way as my SR60. The new wood should be on the 60 by Saturday. Maybe tommorow night who knows. Anyway stock to stock...plastic to plastic the 225 is a better headphone. The only difference is the cable and the grill as far as I can tell. I'll let you know how they sound wood to wood when they are finished.

popcorn.gif

May 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #3,630 of 5,004
I'd like to start by stating that I do respect the people and the opinions of those who disagree with my assertions. That said, it is my understanding that the SR series drivers are indeed the same, with the housing/cups materials, number of holes vented in the felt, cables and cushions being the differences between the SR models. These findings are the product of "Bilavideos" work and in turn the basis for this very thread. It was Bills report of these findings that first interested me in this subject and ultimately motivated me to experiment with SR modding myself. The SR series drivers baskets, magnets, voice coil impedance and resistance measurements, mass, build materials, and diagrams are all identical. If this is news to any of you, then perhaps a re-read of this thread is in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back