Square 'stuck' in upper left corner of desktop?
Jul 5, 2009 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
For some reason, I have this square in the top left corner of my screen. When I windows+D, it appears to go away but when I maximize then minimize a window, the contents of the window get stuck in this square as pictured.

263y0jk.jpg

I'm not sure what it is. I think it might have been there ever since installing Firefox 3.5.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 16
It is firefox .. it's a firefox minimized window. Try a right-click on it's title and restore. Something is trying to run in that firefox window.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is firefox .. it's a firefox minimized window. Try a right-click on it's title and restore. Something is trying to run in that firefox window.

I don't think so. It's not in the taskbar and nothing happens when it is clicked on/right clicked on.

Also, it doesn't always show FireFox as the contents. It just picks up whatever goes on it. For example, this was after dragging the defrag window through it.

3503vhz.png

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 16
Corrupted video driver. Reinstall your video driver and then reapply directx. I hate those dragging window glitches.
The first screen shot looked solid so it looked like what Firefox does to us at times.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 16
It dissapears when I go Windows+D though. Its only when i maximize another program (even one which doesn't go over that square) that the square appears, as just a sort of 'shadowed' frame, and begins to display whatever is over it. If it was a video driver problem, wouldn't it be there all the time? It's also only visible when the desktop is shown.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 16
Not necessarily. Parts of a driver, just like any other program sub-parts, can become corrupt for various reasons. Say for example a .dll file is corrupted during an update.

It's possible whatever is underneath that coner is causing something, but unless you want to play hunt-n-peck to try and locate the faulty sub-part, it's faster and simpler to just reinstall the video driver and directx.

Anytime you install or upgrade a driver you should reapply directx because drivers often overwrite parts of directx and can cause it to not function properly. (especially in games)

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 16
Does it stick through reboot?

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it stick through reboot?

Yep.

I haven't tried reinstalling drivers yet. I will do so soon.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 16
Looks like what happens when some programmer forgets to assign a wall texture in Doom.
biggrin.gif
Good luck.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 16
Ctrl+Alt+Del and call up the Windows Task Manager, click on the processes tab and see if any of them is unfamiliar to you. If you find one in the Description that you are not so sure about, google the Image Name usually will give you a clear idea and whether it is safe to terminate it (End Process). You just have to identify the one that cause the problem and try to repair it. If none of them cause the problem, then it could be something more sinister.

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 16
Also, see if you can highlight it with winspy++, and, if so, what process it belongs to (there may be a learning curve involved to that, so let Google be your friend
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back