SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 3, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #226 of 1,054
Hello fellow SPL fans, im considering buying a Hifiman Arya headphone. As it so happens I do own a stand alone DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC) so im only in the market for a future headphone amp, preferably something balanced. Would you recommend the Spl Phonitor e(without dac) as a viable option? Or would i find something cheaper of equal performance? I was considering Violectric how would the two stack up?

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #227 of 1,054
Although I think that my Phonitor E is not balanced, it is the best SS headphone amp that I have heard. Some think it is a bit better than the Violectric. Unless you want the Vue meters because you think they look sexy, the E will give you the performance at a cheaper price. Look on Amazon. That is where I picked up an E that was factory refurbed at a nice discount.

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #228 of 1,054
Broken in now. With Utopia and Z1R I feel this is the best solid state amp I have ever heard. The XE was the best option for me with rear outputs for headphones. The Phonitor II has stuff consumers would not really use. Silver is backordered indefinitely. Had to get black but the lettering stands out better IMO. I am not sure why more people are onboard with this but it was explained earlier. Probably not many people using Benchmark or Genelec either. Missing out IMO. Consumers are not quick to embrace pro equipment. Being in the studio I always have. The thing is great with no settings. Use the crossfade and other selections I really do not think there is anything that can beat it. Even tubes. I too found that all single ended sounds better as it is dual mono and not balanced.

Fellow Sony MDR-Z1R + Phonitor 2 user coming in hot. This combo makes a real phone-monitor, which tells me the overall quality of a music content clearly. That means this machine has the capability to reveal the true face of a song--how it was recorded and mixed.In the end ,It seems that I have to spend more money on HDtracks.com.

Sep 30, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #229 of 1,054
Hello fellow SPL fans, im considering buying a Hifiman Arya headphone. As it so happens I do own a stand alone DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC) so im only in the market for a future headphone amp, preferably something balanced. Would you recommend the Spl Phonitor e(without dac) as a viable option? Or would i find something cheaper of equal performance? I was considering Violectric how would the two stack up?

Just don`t listening to poor quality music on Phonitor+DT1990 pro. Violectric may have more brutal output power since it has more transistor in output stage, but with 120V supply rail the SPL is far beyond enough. Even a very low sensitive headphone(for 80db/mw) needs only 10mw power to reach 100db-SPL.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #230 of 1,054
Hello SPL owner. I just recieved my phonitor and am curious as to whether or not there is a trick using the crossfeed. Do I have to use the rear plug or something? Thus far when i have the matrix switched on I can hear absolutely no difference in sound no matter what combination of crossfeed settings I use.

Also I thought these amps were known to prodyce a decent level of bass. Bass has been very underwhelming on this unit as compared to my WA22.

Any insights are much appreciated. Thanks

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #231 of 1,054
Hi Dan,

How are you connecting your Phonitor?
I have the Phonitor X edition and the Matrix/Crossfeed works for both my headphone outputs. It is disabled for my speaker/pre-amp output.

There isn't a HUGE difference when in Matrix mode to my ears BUT it's quite obvious when you go back and forth over songs that you're familiar with. Most notable difference would be the slight shrinkage of soundstage. However, this is offset by the immersion of the music as you'll hear less specific stereo channel separation.

Bass has been fine for me. Whatever the source material, the Phonitor has been able to output exactly as is.

Hope this helps.

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #232 of 1,054
Thank you for your reply. I have been connecting my unit via balanced XLR interconnects between my dac and the amp. I would have thought I would be able to at the very least hear some difference, but I hear absolutely no change whatsoever. Not in sound stage or any other aspect. I am thinking I may have gotten a defective unit.

I tried it with multiple different songs of differing paces and dynamics as well. I'm a little bummed bout it, but these things do happen from time to time.

Thanks for the help my friend.

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #234 of 1,054
Thats really good advice. I would have never thought of that. Thanks guys I will try these things.

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #235 of 1,054
In 2011 I had a pair of HD800’s and a Phonitor amp which I sold when I had a chance to move into speakers. Not used headphones since. Last week I picked up a late serial HD800 and last night scored an open box Phonitor XE which should arrive tomorrow. Really missed my Headfi hobby but it feels good having the experience to not blow a ton of money on mistakes and just get straight back into the hobby and be fairly confident this combo is going to be my headphone endgame with my Chord DAC and maybe a EQ tweak which seems to be all the rage these days.

Thanks for taking the effort to provide some feedback on this amp.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #236 of 1,054
Anybody know what's the difference between the different Phonitor models (I don't mean between E and X, but with other models comparable to X)? Is amping the same?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #237 of 1,054
upload_2019-11-1_1-8-23.png

Here you go. Taken from their website here: https://spl.audio/produktuebersicht-nach-anwendung/?lang=en

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #238 of 1,054
The amps are the same. The features are not. My E is the best sounding SS amp I have heard. Another forum tested the E and XE. and found no difference in amp sound. The matrix is not really noticeable on the E.Please note the E and XE have balanced output.

Nov 1, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #239 of 1,054
Just to add;
* The X has preamp output
* The XE has rear headphone connectors for the OCD user who wants to route everything from the rear or if you have long ass headphone cables haha
* The E doesn't have the VU meters (for those who like to "see" their music haha

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #240 of 1,054
Hello SPL owner. I just recieved my phonitor and am curious as to whether or not there is a trick using the crossfeed. Do I have to use the rear plug or something? Thus far when i have the matrix switched on I can hear absolutely no difference in sound no matter what combination of crossfeed settings I use.

Also I thought these amps were known to prodyce a decent level of bass. Bass has been very underwhelming on this unit as compared to my WA22.

Any insights are much appreciated. Thanks

The rear plug won`t be influenced by the crossfeed unless you set it so though the switch on the bottom side. Check the PDF manual for more information.

You don`t have to use this function(means no one force you to set it at "always on") although I think it`s a must own for me. Here is a massive discussion on this topic:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/to-crossfeed-or-not-to-crossfeed-that-is-the-question.518925/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back