SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #106 of 706
THE ROLL CALL HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE OPENING POST FOR GREATER VISIBILITY

PHONITOR/AUDITOR ROUNDUP

01. crypt: SN In the 8[series]
Setup: iRIVER iHP-140 w/ Rockbox <Optical> Cambridge Azure 840C <XLR> SPL Phonitor ATH-W5000/ER-4S
Mostly playing FLAC; 840C up-samples to 24bit/384, dither on; Phonitor sets to 75 deg, 4 cross feed, centre -1.2.

02. ical: 93002** (very close to yours feifan)
Setup: Oyaide R1 > Clearer Audio Copper-line Alpha > CSE RK-100 > Acrolink 6N-P4030 > Cambridge Azur 740C > Van Den Hul Orchid w/Cardas RCA-XLR > Oyaide Tunami GPX-R > SPL Phonitor > Ultrasone Edition 8 / Sennheiser HD800 / Grado PS1000
My usual setting based on different recordng:
Crossfeed} 2/3/4, Speaker Angle} 55/75, Centre} Off/-1.4/-1.2
I do off the Cros/Spk at times for some live rock concert to maintain the noisy and wide atmosphere.

03. kidult: 93002** (one digit different from yours feifan)
Setup: Oyaide R1 > Blacksand Violet Z1 > Cambridge Azur 740C > Valgrind Audio w/Neutrik RCA-XLR adapter > Oyaide Tunami GPX-R > SPL Phonitor > Ultrasone Edition 9
I still toying with setting, usually the below, depends on recording and preference,
C-2, S-55, CT- -1.2
C-4, S-30, CT- -1.2

04. feifan: #93002**
Setup: computer > S/PDIF > DL3 (stock) > Silver Serpent II XLR balanced > Phonitor > HD800

05. EugeneK: Auditor
Home: PC >> Coaxial S/Pdif >> Lavry DA10 >> SPL Auditor >> HD800 with APS V3 / AKG K340

06. Dinan: #93002**
Settings: CF=3, Angle=30*, Center= -0.3
System: Electrocompaniet ECD1A DAC/MacBook Pro or MBL 1621/1611, TARA Labs Vector Balanced interconnects and Prism Reference AC cords.
Phones: Grado GS1000 for now.

07. woodcans:
pc>Berkeley>Phonitor>HD800 rig. I have about 150 hours on it and so far find it incredibly detailed w/ a very natural soundstage. I really like the speaker angle/crossfeed effect . . .

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #107 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using coaxial or optical out of the Mac? I'll have to wait for replacement bagels to get here. The originals are crumbling and unusable.

That's an impressive set of cans you're waiting to test. Cal has the same set and, IIRC, he's planning to keep all three for different SQs. I'm not sure if he still feels the same way. I'm really interested in hearing your impressions, especially about the PS1K. And how it compares to the GS1K and HD800.

most Macs (and I just learned this) have a mini optical output embedded in the 1/8" audio plug. What you need is a mini to standard size toslink adaptor and a good toslink cable (ideal is one with a glass fiber instead of standard plastic fiber).

Yes, it will be interesting to hear the difference and worth the trouble I think.

The GS1K sound very good but I think it will get lots better with the others.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #108 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Auditor is a tiny bit more detailed and slightly cooler.

I really haven't done a detailed comparison, because the DA10's amp is really difficult to use - that toggle switch is just annoying as hell.

Ok thank you very much!
Am on a bit of a budget and think I can live with the toggle switch.
DA10 + HD800 it will be for me then
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #109 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by slackman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thank you very much!
smily_headphones1.gif

The other cool thing you can do is actually get balanced cabling, and run it straight from the XLR outputs of the DA10.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #110 of 706
Quote:

The other cool thing you can do is actually get balanced cabling, and run it straight from the XLR outputs of the DA10.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I was thinking about that too
smily_headphones1.gif

But I think I'll have to make my own balanced cable (if I can find HD800 connectors) as the prices for ready made balanced HD800 cables seem to be rediculous.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #111 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most Macs (and I just learned this) have a mini optical output embedded in the 1/8" audio plug. What you need is a mini to standard size toslink adaptor and a good toslink cable (ideal is one with a glass fiber instead of standard plastic fiber).

I didn't know there are 2 kinds. How do we know which is which? Where can we get glass fiber toslink cables? I don't like optical because it doesn't fit tightly in the opening and sometimes works loose.

Quote:

Yes, it will be interesting to hear the difference and worth the trouble I think.

The GS1K sound very good but I think it will get lots better with the others.

If your views run close to Cal's, I think a lot of HD800 folks are going to take a second look at the PS1000 and ED8. The GS1K seems to be losing ground on all fronts.

Quote:

Ok thank you very much!
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats, slackman. Be sure to post your SN and lineup when it arrives. And quick first impressions would be nice, too. I think a lot of head-fiers are interested in the Auditor because its specs match the Phonitor's and they don't feel a need for the Phonitor's speaker imaging controls. I've been following your dialogue with Eugene very closely because the Auditor seems to be an extremely good buy for those who prefer a more analytical amp with excellent engineering and superb dynamics throughout the full sound spectrum.

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Eugene, have you (or anyone else) tried the unbalanced interconnects? I wonder what the SQ difference is, if any.

Quote:

Yes I was thinking about that too
smily_headphones1.gif

But I think I'll have to make my own balanced cable (if I can find HD800 connectors) as the prices for ready made balanced HD800 cables seem to be rediculous.

The few times I've tried to solder cables, the outcomes were disastrous. I've had zero technical training in doing it so I guess it's not too surprising. What are the most important tips for soldering audio cables? Type of soldering iron? Lead? Technique? Is there a website that provides simple instructions? Seems like a great skill to have for anyone into head-fi.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #113 of 706
I recently got a Phonitor to use w/ my pc>Berkeley>Phonitor>HD800 rig. I have about 150 hours on it and so far find it incredibly detailed w/ a very natural soundstage. I really like the speaker angle/crossfeed effect, I wouldn't say it sounds like I'm listening to speakers, but it doesn't quite sound like headphones either, I'd say somewhere in between. The only negative I have noticed so far is that at volumes greater than moderately loud, the highs can have too much energy. I have been able to correct this (almost) entirely by turning down the center level. I only notice this at levels that would probably not be safe for sustained listening sessions, and it is also recording-dependent.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #116 of 706
I guess I could do the unbalanced to balanced input tests, but it would involve me having to open up my DA10 to swap jumpers between tests, which I'm not inclined to do. >.<

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #117 of 706
Quote:

I guess I could do the unbalanced to balanced input tests, but it would involve me having to open up my DA10 to swap jumpers between tests, which I'm not inclined to do. >.<

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of work. I'll see what I can do with the PS Audio DL3. I don't think I need to change any jumpers in the unit. But I'll probably need to order unbalanced XLRs,

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #118 of 706
Has anyone built a custom 1/4" to RCA cable so they can use the Phonitor to drive their electrostatic headphopne amp?

This would allow the unique features of the Phonitor to be enjoyed through an Orpheus or Stax rig. I type this as I enjoy a Baby-O system which is great but sounds "broken" without the benefits of the Phonitor

I think I will have a cable made and try it. As long as the gain is kept down on the Phonitor, it should act as a buffer for the second amp and not overload it's input.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #119 of 706
Quote:

Has anyone built a custom 1/4" to RCA cable so they can use the Phonitor to drive their electrostatic headphopne amp?

This would allow the unique features of the Phonitor to be enjoyed through an Orpheus or Stax rig. I type this as I enjoy a Baby-O system which is great but sounds "broken" without the benefits of the Phonitor

I think I will have a cable made and try it. As long as the gain is kept down on the Phonitor, it should act as a buffer for the second amp and not overload it's input.

Never thought of this. Fascinating possibilities. In essence you're suggesting exploring the possibility of combining the Phonitor's speaker angling/center adjusting features with other amps so that all amps are potential Phonitors but with unique SQs such as enhanced bass, warmth, musicality, etc.

Is this feasible? Wouldn't the Phonitor's amp (apart from the speaker angling/center adjusting features) distort the signal going to the second amp? Or can the special features be separated from the amp function?

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #120 of 706
I think there would be degradation of the sound going through the Phonitors amplification stage and volume attenuator, as well as the crossfeed/angle circuitry if output from the 1/4" jack. To what degree, though? Line out RCA jacks sure would be nice for using the crossfeed/angle features and bypassing the amplification/volume stages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never thought of this. Fascinating possibilities. In essence you're suggesting exploring the possibility of combining the Phonitor's speaker angling/center adjusting features with other amps so that all amps are potential Phonitors but with unique SQs such as enhanced bass, warmth, musicality, etc.

Is this feasible? Wouldn't the Phonitor's amp (apart from the speaker angling/center adjusting features) distort the signal going to the second amp? Or can the special features be separated from the amp function?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back