SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #91 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One concern I have is that I've just been breaking in a Beresford Caiman DAC (with RCA out). Since the Auditor only has XLR in, I presume I'm looking at a bit of a problem? There doesn't seem to be too many cable options and it may not be a good idea anyway. Should I sell the Beresford or find a cable solution?

You can just use an RCA-XLR cable. They are readily available.

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #92 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can just use the cheap and good Neutrik XLR-RCA adapter. Most of the guys I know are using it without any problem or degrade in SQ. One of my friend actually find that the adapter with his RCA interconnects sound better than his XLR.
Neutrik - Audio - Circular Adapters - NA2MPMF

If you want something more exotic, can go for those from Cardas. Presently I'm using it which sound slightly more dynamic with darker background.
Cardas Audio

Based on my past experience with D7000/5000, I believe SPL amp has no problem driving the Denon well.

Thanks for the info on the cables. That's reassuring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the auditor with a D2000 and a DA10 - it's way too dark for me. But there's no problems with clarity and detail.

That's interesting. I can't imagine it being much darker than with the Canamp. I thought the Auditor was supposed to relatively neutral-sounding?

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #93 of 706
Well, my hearing is a little bass-sensitive.

In order from cold to warm, my previous setups are:
Heed Canamp + K340
Heed Canamp + K701
Auditor + K340 (mids a little bloated - but neutral otherwise)
Auditor + HD800 (tad warm)
Heed Canamp + HD800
Heed Canamp + modded HD650
Sony A729 + AKG K272 (closed phones)
Autitor + D2000 (way too warm)

The D2000s are a really warm pair of headphones. Would have been warmer if I had paired it with a warmer amp.

edit: ok, I know it looks like the Heed is a cooler amp, but it is actually warmer than the auditor.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #94 of 706
Thanks Eugene... Did you ever try the Heed Canamp with the D2000? I'd be interested in comparing it to the Auditor + D2000 experience you've described. Even an estimation would help me create a reference point in my own head.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #96 of 706
That's what I figured. So the auditor would be an improvement, at least for me. Tighter and more refined. I know there are other options like the Slee SRG and the RX03 but that's for another thread. Cheers again.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #97 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my hearing is a little bass-sensitive.

In order from cold to warm, my previous setups are:
Heed Canamp + K340
Heed Canamp + K701
Auditor + K340 (mids a little bloated - but neutral otherwise)
Auditor + HD800 (tad warm)
Heed Canamp + modded HD650
Sony A729 + AKG K272 (closed phones)
Autitor + D2000 (way too warm)

The D2000s are a really warm pair of headphones. Would have been warmer if I had paired it with a warmer amp.

Do you prefer the 701 with the Heed Canamp, and not with the Autitor?

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #99 of 706
Phonitor #93002** here.

Settings: CF=3, Angle=30*, Center= -0.3

System: Electrocompaniet ECD1A DAC/MacBook Pro or MBL 1621/1611, TARA Labs Vector Balanced interconnects and Prism Reference AC cords.

Phones: Grado GS1000 for now.

I love the flexibility of the unit and find the center settings to make the biggest difference. With the GS1000, the more center you dial in (lower number), the better they sound.

The GS1000 are temporary while I wait on PS1000, HD800, and Edition 8s. I plan to keep the pair or two that works best with the Phonitor and sell the rest.

As I am a high-end audio guy just getting into headphones, I like that the Phonitor makes cans sound more like a good stereo rig.

I have my suspicions that the HD800s will respond the best to the Phonitor for soundstage but that the PS1000 will be the most musical. I also expect to be impressed by the Edition 8s but think the Grados will beat them....we will see.

It is frustrating how difficult it is to get top end headphone gear quickly.
triportsad.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #102 of 706
Hello Eugene.
I'm really curious how much the Auditor differs from the DA10 headphone out for the HD800.
You mentioned before they're both neutral amps (Auditor perhaps very slightly colder?) and that the Auditor is a bit more detailed.
Do you mean a tiny bit more detailed or quite a bit more detailed?
smily_headphones1.gif

And are there other differences between the 2 soundquality wise?

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #103 of 706
The Auditor is a tiny bit more detailed and slightly cooler.

I really haven't done a detailed comparison, because the DA10's amp is really difficult to use - that toggle switch is just annoying as hell.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #104 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phonitor #93002** here.

Settings: CF=3, Angle=30*, Center= -0.3

System: Electrocompaniet ECD1A DAC/MacBook Pro or MBL 1621/1611, TARA Labs Vector Balanced interconnects and Prism Reference AC cords.

Phones: Grado GS1000 for now.

I love the flexibility of the unit and find the center settings to make the biggest difference. With the GS1000, the more center you dial in (lower number), the better they sound.

The GS1000 are temporary while I wait on PS1000, HD800, and Edition 8s. I plan to keep the pair or two that works best with the Phonitor and sell the rest.

As I am a high-end audio guy just getting into headphones, I like that the Phonitor makes cans sound more like a good stereo rig.

I have my suspicions that the HD800s will respond the best to the Phonitor for soundstage but that the PS1000 will be the most musical. I also expect to be impressed by the Edition 8s but think the Grados will beat them....we will see.

It is frustrating how difficult it is to get top end headphone gear quickly.
triportsad.gif

Thanks for the SN and settings, Dinan. I gave up early on the GS1K and Phonitor but am now curious to try it again. I'm not familiar with Macs. Are you using coaxial or optical out of the Mac? I'll have to wait for replacement bagels to get here. The originals are crumbling and unusable.

That's an impressive set of cans you're waiting to test. Cal has the same set and, IIRC, he's planning to keep all three for different SQs. I'm not sure if he still feels the same way. I'm really interested in hearing your impressions, especially about the PS1K. And how it compares to the GS1K and HD800.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #105 of 706
feifan, I still keeping the 3 for now. Ever thought of letting one go but all of them just sound so good in different presentation that's it impossible for me to choose.

Yes, you're right Dinan. The waiting time for those cans is painfully. I never have such problem with hifi. But I can ensure you that they're worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back