SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #346 of 706
You'll just need to look at the xlr inputs/outputs to see if they're male or female and go from there. For example, the XLR inputs on the Phonitor are female, so to connect via RCA I need RCA female to XLR male. On the other hand, the XLR outputs on the Phonitor are male, so to make use of those, I'd have to get XLR female to RCA female.

Quote:
Yes correct but I see that there are several kind of XLR to RCA adapters (http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=products&content_id=14&pagestring=Adapters&product_id=52)
I have an RCA cable and let's say I would like to transform it to an XLR one by using XLR adapters, so which types so I have to buy then?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #347 of 706
Hi Alex,

I see you live in Belgium as well.
I might have a cable that is just what you need.
It goes from RCA male (to put in your amp) to XLR female (to put in your Dac) and it's one cable so no adaptors.

Here's a louzy pic taken witth my iphone. If that's what you need you can PM me.
You can have the cable for free, it's nothing special. It was made of an RCA Profigold cable and has Neutrik XLR's on it.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #348 of 706

Quote:
Hi Alex,

It goes from RCA male (to put in your amp) to XLR female (to put in your Dac) and it's one cable so no adaptors.

Here's a louzy pic taken witth my iphone. If that's what you need you can PM me.
You can have the cable for free, it's nothing special. It was made of an RCA Profigold cable and has Neutrik XLR's on it.

Is that you one you use when you have the SPL Phonitor I have now?  I ordered a pair of XLR cables from BetterCables.com, their Silver Serpent brand.

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #350 of 706
Thanks for the generous offer (sent PM) :) !

Quote:
Hi Alex,

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #351 of 706
No worries, it's christmas time!  
o2smile.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #354 of 706

Quote:

Thanks,  the transparency level of the Phonitor is the best so far!  My first session was 6-7 hours with no ear fatigue...the Phonitor is definitely a new definition for studio Solid Stage hps amp.

I find interesting they use almost the same specs of the Auditor and the Phonitor ...and yet the Phonitor use a nine SUPRA OP amps that made and developed by SPL. The same tehnology use in the SPL MMC 1 @ 8K mastering console, and the SPL PQ 2050 mastering edition EQ @ 15K.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #355 of 706

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:p I thought I was pretty clear!

Yes you were.
But still people could easily make more of what you said than you actually meant to say.

What confuses me a bit is that the Phonitor has (to my ears) none of the characteristics of a warm amp. None. No lows hanging over the midrange, no smeared midrange, no rolled off highs.
It also has none of the characteristics of a cold amp: No exagerated highs, no super fast decay, no leanness that suggests more detail and space.
So what does that leave it to be? Neutral? Maybe, but there are other things that can make it coloured: detail, tonality, balance, dynamics...
frown.gif

I think the term transparency will work for me better in this case.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #356 of 706

Quote:
Hello,

Maybe I can share with you my experience in that regards.
I had bought a SPL Auditor which presented some noise, whether the inputs were connected or not. It was not a hum, though, but rather a buzz, which was noticeable at both low volume and high volume, bur strangely desappeared with the volume knob set at around 3 o'clock. It was hardly audible through the hd-650, but very noticeable with lower impedance phones (say, 50ohms). I contacted someone that had the same problem. It turned out it was the same unit (he returned it to Thomann, they resold it, and I bought it back!). He told me that now his new unit is dead quiet. I sent back mine, and I am waiting for a new one, hoping it will be quiet too.

I think the assumption we can make is there might be some defective units presenting this buzzing issue. If you have the same symptoms as I described, you probably have a flawed amp.
I will tell you more as soon as I receive my new unit.

For future reference, I hope the GND lift switch will resolve the buzzing issue.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #357 of 706
St3ve, harj, Lord Mike, metalsonata, Zombie_X, Arctia, MuppetFace, slwiser, Acix -- I added your Phonitor/Auditor to the roll on the opening page. My apologies for the long delay.

If you haven't yet, see Tyll Hertsens' "CanJam at RMAF - Outstanding Product: The SPL Phonitor" (Oct 23, 2011). Here's a quote: "I've listened to just about every cross-feed circuit out there. I've twiddled and tweaked long hours to make it do it's thing and not get in the way of fidelity. It's not easy. But the SPL Phonitor just blew me away with its outstanding and fully adjustable cross-feed circuit."

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #358 of 706

Quote:
St3ve, harj, Lord Mike, metalsonata, Zombie_X, Arctia, MuppetFace, slwiser, Acix -- I added your Phonitor/Auditor to the roll on the opening page. My apologies for the long delay.

If you haven't yet, see Tyll Hertsens' "CanJam at RMAF - Outstanding Product: The SPL Phonitor" (Oct 23, 2011). Here's a quote: "I've listened to just about every cross-feed circuit out there. I've twiddled and tweaked long hours to make it do it's thing and not get in the way of fidelity. It's not easy. But the SPL Phonitor just blew me away with its outstanding and fully adjustable cross-feed circuit."

Thanks for adding me... is hard now to listen without the cross-feed, I'm really like the center level with vocals. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #359 of 706
I suspect that I'd have a really long adjustment period if I ever went back to an amp without cross-feed. I got hooked on it with Headroom's products and made sure that even my portable amp had it. There are still plenty of other amps that I lust after, but I can't imagine ever abandoning the Phonitor--unless something else with even better cross-feed control comes along.

Quote:

Thanks for adding me... is hard now to listen without the cross-feed, I'm really like the center level with vocals. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #360 of 706
It's not a problem man :wink:

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back