SPL Auditor appreciation thread
Aug 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

AronBas

New Head-Fier
I am just about to drop some cash on the auditor once I find a good place to buy it.

Any one else out there got one and would like to share some pics, experiences etc... ?

My setup:

Source: Mac Mini & Mac Book
DAC/AMP: Apogee DUET , SPL Auditor (soon)
Phones: AKG 702, Senny HD 25, Pioneer HDJ 1000 (broken hinge)
Application: Music Production.

As I am using this with my DAW I am also trying it out with the Cross feed VST Redline monitor.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 51
Just received mine. Its fantastic straight out of the box! very detailed, more impressions later (and pics)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 51
I'm thinking about buying a new amp for my T1s. I was considering also the DNA Sonett but its price goes too high with postal costs to Europe plus the added 22% VAT.

What kind of cables does the Auditor come with? It seems that there's only balanced inputs.

Will there be any trouble if I just buy XLR male to female RCA cables to connect my current male RCAs from vinyl player to Auditor?

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 51
It only comes with a power cord. I think it should work fine, I use balanced cables though.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 51
Use Cardas RCA-XLR adapters if desired, they work very well.

The balanced connections are mainly a concession to the pro audio market, which is SPL's target market. Long cable connections tend to be more common in this environment and these are better accommodated by balanced cables. In a domestic setting with short cable connections, it's doubtful that there is much (if any) benefit to balanced cable connections.

The headphone output itself is single ended so I would doubt that the internal topology of the Auditor is balanced.

I have high quality RCA and XLR cables and they all perform well. In fact, I tend to prefer one of my RCA cables via the adapter rather than the XLR one.

It is a good amp and is ideal for driving something like the T1 with its 600 ohm load.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 51
MarkyMark: How do you like the amp? I'm looking at this as a possible amp purchase down the road. Did you try the amp with K701 or HD650? How do you like it with HD800?

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use Cardas RCA-XLR adapters if desired, they work very well.

The balanced connections are mainly a concession to the pro audio market, which is SPL's target market. Long cable connections tend to be more common in this environment and these are better accommodated by balanced cables. In a domestic setting with short cable connections, it's doubtful that there is much (if any) benefit to balanced cable connections.

The headphone output itself is single ended so I would doubt that the internal topology of the Auditor is balanced.

I have high quality RCA and XLR cables and they all perform well. In fact, I tend to prefer one of my RCA cables via the adapter rather than the XLR one.

It is a good amp and is ideal for driving something like the T1 with its 600 ohm load.

Balanced is better in terms of removing noise with its extra wire per channel from source to amp.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced is better in terms of removing noise with its extra wire per channel from source to amp.

Noise is a problem in longer cable runs, hence popularity of XLR in pro-audio. In a typical audiophile set up using short interconnect runs I don't believe it is an issue.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 51
Little appreciation going on here.

I do love mine. T1 on my Keces 131 mk 2 is pure magic. I have done most on my testing on the DAC19 and well all my headphones sound splendid on it.

Hopefully in two weeks I will be able to put it against my Goldpoint Headphone Pro V9 and Traformatic Head one. I really don´t see anything needing fixing on the auditor... Well not the most forgiving amp on poor recordings but that is always the cost with reference gear. It´s always worth it :)

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 51

Quote:
What is that 50 Ohm adapter? My Edition8 (30 Ohm) is noisy with Phonitor, mayby that is what I need. K701 was little noisy also, LCD-2 is dead quiet.

No, Auditor should work with all impedance cans. Do you have Auditor connected with XLR cables or RCA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back