Spiral Ears SE5 Ultimate Discussion/ Impressions thread
Mar 29, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #121 of 317
Mar 29, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #122 of 317
I sold my Spartan last years, they were good but a bit overpriced. Hence they're are not comparable to the SE5U, though they share a bit of the sound signature which is balanced. 

The S-EM9 have not the naturalness of the SE5U, neither the smoothness, but the resolution is pretty high and sometimes I find the bass and the treble resolution higher than on the SE5U. I often prefer using my S-EM9 because of its speed capability and the pleasant rumble the SE5U don't have everytime, but the main issue is the mid, that's where the SE5U shine and the S-EM9 can't compete on that part.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #123 of 317
  You are welcome...I buy A LOT of music, so always happy to spread the joy. If you like that, try Moodymann by Dixon Jr

Thanks very kindly for the recommendation--I'll give it a listen!

Hah! So I am not the only one who likes doing that.
wink.gif

Nice and smooth album, btw.

You are definitely not alone!  
smile_phones.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #124 of 317
  You are definitely not alone!  
smile_phones.gif

Surprisingly, I am really enjoying Astronaut Ape - Flight 420. I think this type of music helps me focus (I have ADHD). Will need to buy the album so I can have a proper listen from my AK70 (just listening through YouTube now). Thanks to @Tawek for that one!
etysmile.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #126 of 317
Had a look around but Amazon UK only has the album as a digital download and I prefer to have the disc and rip to lossless. But while looking I did come across Interloper by Carbon Based Lifeforms, which is really nice too.

Sadly no SE5-Ult for me. They were recommended as possible "end-game" IEMs for my personal preferences and while I think they do indeed tick all the boxes, I simply can't justify the price (especially since I have Custom Art Ei.3 coming in a few days). But they will go on my shortlist for consideration later on.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #127 of 317
  Had a look around but Amazon UK only has the album as a digital download and I prefer to have the disc and rip to lossless. But while looking I did come across Interloper by Carbon Based Lifeforms, which is really nice too.

Sadly no SE5-Ult for me. They were recommended as possible "end-game" IEMs for my personal preferences and while I think they do indeed tick all the boxes, I simply can't justify the price (especially since I have Custom Art Ei.3 coming in a few days). But they will go on my shortlist for consideration later on.
wink.gif

Thanks for the AA recommendation--I'll give that a listen, too!

Despite my off-topic posts here, I actually ended up in this thread via genuine interest in the SE5U being my first custom.  YMMV I'm sure, but after reading up on the longevity of customs(something I didn't give much thought to before), I was a little surprised to read it is not uncommon for them to need reshelling after only a couple years.  The price is high, but only too high for me if they need expensive maintenance every 2-3 years.  Thus, and perhaps a stupid question since I couldn't find anything about it on their website or the internet in general, does the SE5U come in a universal variation?  Or only custom? 

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #128 of 317
  Despite my off-topic posts here, I actually ended up in this thread via genuine interest in the SE5U being my first custom.  YMMV I'm sure, but after reading up on the longevity of customs(something I didn't give much thought to before), I was a little surprised to read it is not uncommon for them to need reshelling after only a couple years.  The price is high, but only too high for me if they need expensive maintenance every 2-3 years.  Thus, and perhaps a stupid question since I couldn't find anything about it on their website or the internet in general, does the SE5U come in a universal variation?  Or only custom? 

I don't know about a universal version, I don't think so, but have come across various comments on the longevity of customs. From what I have read customs should last a good number of years. One builder (Noble's Wizard) commented that in 20 years he had only ever done one CIEM (and one hearing aid) rebuild and that was due to a case of extreme weight loss.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #129 of 317

Thanks for the AA recommendation--I'll give that a listen, too!

custom only

i am looking to trade my EE athenas for a se5 ult btw (long shot but who  knows maybe someone wants to try out sth new)

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #131 of 317
Have anyone compared SE5 ultimate witu Tralucent Ref1 too? I know that one is universal and other is custom,but how they sound?

Completely different. I had the two side by side. The Ref too is more airy and has MUCH more bass punch. However the Tera tamed some of that bass so the difference on the Tera is less.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #133 of 317
Thank you Michael,did you find Plus5 superior to the ones mentioned above, especially with the Tera Player.
Someone recommend Earsonics SM64 due to high impedance,98 ohm that will suit the Tera Player.
I did not find the Plus5 to my taste. It is impressive in some ways, but way to thick and warm.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #134 of 317
  I don't know about a universal version, I don't think so, but have come across various comments on the longevity of customs. From what I have read customs should last a good number of years. One builder (Noble's Wizard) commented that in 20 years he had only ever done one CIEM (and one hearing aid) rebuild and that was due to a case of extreme weight loss.

Appreciate the input and info--thanks!  hmm... perhaps I need to do more research. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back