Spiral Ears SE5 Ultimate Discussion/ Impressions thread
Apr 6, 2015 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 317

jelt2359

Headphoneus Supremus
I know a few of us have this now, but I guess nobody got around to open a new thread. So here it is:

Mimouille's impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549298/review-spiral-ear-se-5-way-reference-a-new-level-of-resolution-review-posted-5-15-12/2190#post_11481042
average_joe's impressions: http://theheadphonelist.com/spiral-ear-se-5-way-ultimate-first-impressions/
tupac0306's impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549298/review-spiral-ear-se-5-way-reference-a-new-level-of-resolution-review-posted-5-15-12/2145#post_11374473
tupac0306's impressions v2: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549298/review-spiral-ear-se-5-way-reference-a-new-level-of-resolution-review-posted-5-15-12/2145#post_11375225
tupac0306's impressions v3: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549298/review-spiral-ear-se-5-way-reference-a-new-level-of-resolution-review-posted-5-15-12/2160#post_11375268

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 317
My SE5 Ult has an extremely spacious soundstage and great airiness. It also sounds very natural, achieving this presentation without sounding too diffused or with any uneven focus in the sound. It's the kind of IEM that doesn't wow you on first listen, but when you keep going back to it (as I have over the past few weeks), I kept finding nothing wrong with them, and its strengths slowly became more and more apparent. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 317
  My SE5 Ult has an extremely spacious soundstage and great airiness. It also sounds very natural, achieving this presentation without sounding too diffused or with any uneven focus in the sound. It's the kind of IEM that doesn't wow you on first listen, but when you keep going back to it (as I have over the past few weeks), I kept finding nothing wrong with them, and its strengths slowly became more and more apparent. 

How is it matching up to the rest of the CIEMs you reviewed? Is it on top as expected or just another signature on the top tier in your opinion? The SE5 has had a god like status for a long time.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 317
  How is it matching up to the rest of the CIEMs you reviewed? Is it on top as expected or just another signature on the top tier in your opinion? The SE5 has had a god like status for a long time.

I don't know if I expected it to be on top; I didn't own the SE5 Ref before getting the Ult. But it's certainly in the top tier of my IEMs now.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 317
No feedback on these...I am amazed how some ciems that are not as good get much more publicity. Anyways, just got them back from a final adjustment, fit seems good. Man, these sound so well balanced. Nothing sounds too much too little or off, with great musicality. I really like my other iems, but these are just better.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 317
No feedback on these...I am amazed how some ciems that are not as good get much more publicity. Anyways, just got them back from a final adjustment, fit seems good. Man, these sound so well balanced. Nothing sounds too much too little or off, with great musicality. I really like my other iems, but these are just better.

what kind of music do you listen to?

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 317
Hi Mimouille,

Kindly ask if you could share your impressions about Final Audio Design Lab1 va SE 5 ultimate?

Assuming they have the same fits (universal vs custom), these two have been mentioned as the cream of the crop in HF. Would like to have either one of them someday.

How do you feel about the mids, soundstage etc of these two?

Many thanks in advance!

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 317
Hi Mimouille,

Kindly ask if you could share your impressions about Final Audio Design Lab1 va SE 5 ultimate?

Assuming they have the same fits (universal vs custom), these two have been mentioned as the cream of the crop in HF. Would like to have either one of them someday.

How do you feel about the mids, soundstage etc of these two?

Many thanks in advance!

Nothing in common. The Lab1 did not impress me much. They are nice, sound natural and unobtrusive, but nothing stands out there. I put the SE5 ultimate much above for my tastes. If you really want to compare, the key different would be that the Lab1 sounds very together and centered, whereas the Ult has a very large stage and separated instruments.

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 317
  Nothing in common. The Lab1 did not impress me much. They are nice, sound natural and unobtrusive, but nothing stands out there. I put the SE5 ultimate much above for my tastes. If you really want to compare, the key different would be that the Lab1 sounds very together and centered, whereas the Ult has a very large stage and separated instruments.

Once you got your impressions approved, what was the turnaround time to receiving your Ultimates?  I understand we're in different parts of the world, but I was guessing their production demand is not as great as some of the larger companies, so I thought maybe they produce them relatively quickly.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back