Spending $1,500 on 5+ Headphones to Compare for YOU guys. Which Ones Qualify?
Dec 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #76 of 147
  Not sure which one will win, but I am listening to the Momentum over ears now and I love them. Really interested to see how you compare them to the DT1350 as they are a pair of cans I have a real interest in trying.

Which Momentums are you getting? The over-ear or on-ear?

Good job with all this testing btw. You must be exhausted!

I am getting the "Over the ear" ones. :)

I am listening to Andrea Bocelli right now on Sennheiser HD380 ... it's magical. :) We'll see if those others can beat it. Even though I like what I hear, I have no problem of dropping these if I hear something better.

Regarding Exhausted .... not really ... much easier than when I ordered 6 pairs of Home Theater Receivers ... now that was a pain in the a**.  :)

P.S.  So far the craziest music orga*m I had was from listening to (Mozart - Requiem Communio: Lux Aeterna)  just awesome sound.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #77 of 147
  In order to hear the details in your music clearly with all the background noise on a train, you would need to turn them up pretty loud. Consider the AKG K550/K551, KEF M500, and if you're willing to spend a bit more, the B&W P7.

I can't believe you suggested KEF M500 to me. Sorry but they were the worst of all 4. Pure garbage at a crazy price.
I wish I would have tested a different headphone instead of those. I do appreciate the feedback but this suggestion was just bad.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #78 of 147
  I have not heard them but you might want to look into the SoundMAGIC HP100, they get quite a good recommend around these parts for a closed headphone.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-review
beerchug.gif

Sooo, you're the one who suggested SoundMAGIC :)
It took 3rd place. I didn't give any burn in time but they were the most boring (not in a flat, natural way) ... just nothing was there. No spark on high notes, ...I mean nothing. Base was just ehh. Bad suggestion./ :)

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #79 of 147
The B&W P7 is a good one to compare. I have managed to listen to it on a couple of occasions and liked it very much. It has a nice warm bass and very good detail. Because I haven't spent much time with it I can't give a full description of the sound, but it is definitely a worthy competitor to the Momentum.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #80 of 147
HD380 is pretty darn cool, I look forward to what you have to say about it versus HD598 and DT1350.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #81 of 147
  Quote:

Sooo, you're the one who suggested SoundMAGIC :)
It took 3rd place. I didn't give any burn in time but they were the most boring (not in a flat, natural way) ... just nothing was there. No spark on high notes, ...I mean nothing. Base was just ehh. Bad suggestion./ :)

I can't believe you suggested KEF M500 to me. Sorry but they were the worst of all 4. Pure garbage at a crazy price.
I wish I would have tested a different headphone instead of those. I do appreciate the feedback but this suggestion was just bad.

Stop recommending the Soundmagic HP100  ......... i tested them against 3 others in similar price range and they are BAD!

Must you rudely call out everyone who suggested something that you did not favor?  Are we supposed to magically predict what you will and will not like?

That's what happens when you underpower a headphone with a sensitivity of 95 Db and then do a quick comparison with a headphone with a sensitivity of 110 Db.  The HD 380 Pro is 2.5 times more sensitive than the HP100.  That is why your no amp rule is stupid, you are not comparing any of the headphones on level ground.

Also, you spend too little time with the headphones (brief listening sessions do not tend to favor a neutral signature) and make very shallow comparisons.  This is understandable at meet settings, but unacceptable in this context.

Finally, your opinion is not fact.  Just because you did not like something does not mean that it is "bad".  Do you think that you have golden ears and that everyone else's opinions are excluded from the equation?

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #82 of 147

Must you rudely call out everyone who suggested something that you did not favor?  Are we supposed to magically predict what you will and will not like?

That's what happens when you underpower a headphone with a sensitivity of 95 Db and then do a quick comparison with a headphone with a sensitivity of 110 Db.  The HD 380 Pro is 2.5 times more sensitive than the HP100.  That is why your no amp rule is stupid, you are not comparing any of the headphones on level ground.

Also, you spend too little time with the headphones (brief listening sessions do not tend to favor a neutral signature) and make very shallow comparisons.  This is understandable at meet settings, but unacceptable in this context.

Finally, your opinion is not fact.  Just because you did not like something does not mean that it is "bad".  Do you think that you have golden ears and that everyone else's opinions are excluded from the equation?

Love it! :)
You are 100% correct.

By the way, I appreciate clearing things up for me about the Db. I know about it but didn't check on it for the HP100. I mainly focused on the ohms. Maybe that is the problem with the HP100. They simply were blend to me, but so is my friend's Sennheiser HD600 (300ohms) via iPhone without an amp. I get it.

I just felt that the guy who suggested specifically KEF501 or whatever that model is, was simply using me to see how good/bad those headphones are because I can't believe anyone would put them on the same level as the other 3 I used.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me to keep the sensitivity (Db) in mind, other than the ohms rating.

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #83 of 147
I haven't heard the M500, but since it was an on ear, it's a good assumption that they'd be at least a little particular about placement otherwise they'll have no bass or conceivable soundstage. From what it looks like, you tried them for 10 minutes and didn't bother to try them again even though it looks like you just didn't put them on correctly.

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #85 of 147
If you want to use them on a loud train, then you are better off with an IEM or something with good noise cancellation like Bose QC15 or PSB M4U 2. Otherwise the details of a good HP will be drowned out by the noise.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #86 of 147
Sennheiser HD380 so far is doing great in the noise cancellation. I am sure they are not as great as Bose ones, BUT I didn't get headphones strictly for noise canceling and that's what Bose set is designed for.

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #88 of 147
I guess you are one of the very few people who dislike the KEF M500... As for the HP100... I guess you are just not a fan of neutral sound.

Maybe it's because I didn't let them break in ... i don't know.'

I already hooked up the HP100 to my $1300 receiver .... the sound it makes is just mehh. Like, forget about base. I am talking about violin, voice, etc, etc .... it's just a bit brighter than HD380 but it also makes these instruments sound not as natural. I know it weird.

KEF M500 is lacking in base. I mean I am comparing them to the Over ear headphones so it's understanding but still. They are also a bit too bright for their own good where I felt like turning down the volume because my ears would bleed. Maybe I just like the darker sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back