Spending $1,500 on 5+ Headphones to Compare for YOU guys. Which Ones Qualify?
Nov 30, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #61 of 147
Funny thing is ...I let my Fiance test all 4 without favoring any of them and I gave them to hear in the same sequence I demoed them ... she also gave #1 spot to HD380. Surprisingly however she gave Beyerdynaimcs DT 770 last spot though I thought they were pretty decent.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #62 of 147
  nah, that's the thing, I wasn't looking for just bass. If I was, I;d just get Beats. I was looking for pleasant sound full of depth and not just overly detailed mids and highs that pierce your hearing.

Emphasized bass =/= Beats "bass"

You seem to attribute "depth" to a warm sound, which is characterized by an emphasis on bass and a recession of highs.  You disliked both of the more neutral/analytical cans, while you appreciated the slightly V-shaped DT770 and the warm 380.

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #64 of 147
Actually, if you like the HD380 the most, I don't know how much you'd like the D600. From what I remember about the HD380, they don't exactly sound comparable; the D600 will most likely have too much bass for you. I'm actually kind of perplexed by your choice in the HD380. I thought they sounded a bit on the bright side and I don't remember them having much bass.

But if I can make a prediction, you won't like the Grados at all.

If I may make a suggestion, I've been mostly content (The only reason I say mostly is because I want something a little more portable at the moment) with my ZMF T50RP for the past three months. The bass version (V2) seems to be what you want, but I can't promise depth. Here's a link to the website: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #65 of 147
When you guys say that the HD380 is not supposed to have much base, I am actually surprised. Maybe it's because all 4 headphones I got are lacking base that HD380 sounds like it's a runner up in "amount" of base to the Beyerdynamic DT-770-PRO-32ohm.

Regarding Grados ... first time I heard Grados 60, I actually felt like they had a decent sound. That's why I am curious to try a higher model. 

I guess my 2 biggest issues with Sennheiser HD 380 Pro are....

1) I wish they were more portable. I don't know how I am going to use them in public. Long heavy cord, look big on my head.
2) When turned up, other people will hear them much more than my in ear buds

Also, I was thinking that if I like the sound of Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, maybe there is a higher version of the closed headphones from same brand that will sound even better.

On the side note ... I was pretty happy that my girl picked the same ones as the winner out of the 4

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #66 of 147
My friend just gave me his Sennheiser HD 600 (300Ohms) to try out.

Here is the good part .... it sounds very nice and it's very, very comfortable.

Bad part ... it's not meant to be driven off of Iphone. At 300Ohms and probably 92 or 98 sensitivity, it barely gets any juice, so I can;t even compare it. At low volume, when I try to match the volume with the HD380, it seems like HD380 has a bit of an excitement to it. It sounds like it's a bit more forward. Again ... not a fair test. Comparing 52ohms to 300.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #68 of 147
  Actually, if you like the HD380 the most, I don't know how much you'd like the D600. From what I remember about the HD380, they don't exactly sound comparable; the D600 will most likely have too much bass for you. I'm actually kind of perplexed by your choice in the HD380. I thought they sounded a bit on the bright side and I don't remember them having much bass.

But if I can make a prediction, you won't like the Grados at all.

If I may make a suggestion, I've been mostly content (The only reason I say mostly is because I want something a little more portable at the moment) with my ZMF T50RP for the past three months. The bass version (V2) seems to be what you want, but I can't promise depth. Here's a link to the website: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/

The 380 Pro measures as noticeably dark, but there are a few people who perceive a very strange frequency response, as with just about every headphone.  I assume that he simply picked the choice which was most similar to his previous headphone experiences, but improved.  If you go from a dark headphone to a bright headphone, chances are you will find the latter to sound thin and piercing.  If you go from bright to dark, you may find the latter to be muffled and lacking energy.  I would recommend that he spend at least a day with each headphone, but I doubt that he will, seeing as how he is not willing to even consider an amplifier despite the large sensitivity difference between some of his choices.  The D600 has a very non-objectionable sound and I don't see how it could be possibly described as "thin" or bass-light, which is why I think that he would find it satisfying.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #69 of 147
Those graphs definitely don't align to what I heard; I'll have to give them another listen, so discount whatever I said in my previous post because I must have heard a very off pair.

The D600 would probably work well for the OP if they weren't so big. The HD380s at least fold, but the D600 are kind of big all the time. I would probably have gotten a pair if they folded since I thought they sounded, as you said, non-objectionable, which is more than I can say for a lot of the headphones I've heard for around $200. I just wish the midrange was more coherent.

And completely off topic, I have a good friend in South Burlington!

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #70 of 147

The 380 Pro measures as noticeably dark, but there are a few people who perceive a very strange frequency response, as with just about every headphone.  I assume that he simply picked the choice which was most similar to his previous headphone experiences, but improved.  If you go from a dark headphone to a bright headphone, chances are you will find the latter to sound thin and piercing.  If you go from bright to dark, you may find the latter to be muffled and lacking energy.  I would recommend that he spend at least a day with each headphone, but I doubt that he will, seeing as how he is not willing to even consider an amplifier despite the large sensitivity difference between some of his choices.  The D600 has a very non-objectionable sound and I don't see how it could be possibly described as "thin" or bass-light, which is why I think that he would find it satisfying.

I get it. The way people hear things is very unique. If I am used to darker sound, I'll hate or it will take more time to adjust to brighter sound.

What I was doing is ... I was listening to each instrument. So let's say a violin and I listened to that violin on all 4 different headphones and I asked myself, based on my sound recognition of what a violin should sound like, which headphone gave the most accurate, good sounding, natural violin. Same thing with base, same thing with saxophone, piano, etc.

I felt that the HD380 was the most accurate in reproducing these sounds. I've always didn't like too bright of a sound. When I bought my home theater, it took me some time to get used to the brightness of my speakers. 

After all ... HD380 gave me the craziest musical org*sm than any other sound equipment. Not even my $3K speakers 

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #71 of 147
The last question I have is ......... I see great $400+ headphones and they come in 32 ohms to 600Ohms ... when I demo the 32Ohms is it almost like demoing a completely different headset when I then demo same headphones that are 300 Ohms with an amp?

So when Beyerdynamics 770 32Ohms didn't sound that awesome ... was it because the 200Ohm version with an amp would have sounded 10 times better?

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #72 of 147
The beyerdynamic are voiced differently on purpose. The sound should improve by increasing the impedance. Of course the amp might affect that as well.

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #73 of 147
So ... latest update .........

Sent the losers back.
  1. SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphones (Black)  
  2. Beyerdynamic DT-770-PRO-32 Closed Dynamic Headphone for Mobile Control and Monitoring Applications, 32 Ohms  
  3. KEF M500 Hi-Fi On-Ear Headphones - Aluminum/Black  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now ... will compare the ones I liked....
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Collapsible High-End Headphone for Professional Monitoring Use (Black)

to all of these I ordered today.

1. Beyerdynamic DT-1350-80   
  2. Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones  
  3. Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Headphones  
  5. Grado SR 225i headphones
  7. Sennheiser Momentum (Black)

What do you guys think? Which one will win?

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #74 of 147
Not sure which one will win, but I am listening to the Momentum over ears now and I love them. Really interested to see how you compare them to the DT1350 as they are a pair of cans I have a real interest in trying.

Which Momentums are you getting? The over-ear or on-ear?

Good job with all this testing btw. You must be exhausted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back