Speaker amps for headphones
Nov 1, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #1,261 of 3,871
Did anybody try old monster amplifier like Mark Levinson 23.5, Krell KSA50, Threshold 3.9 ?

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,262 of 3,871
  Did anybody try old monster amplifier like Mark Levinson 23.5, Krell KSA50, Threshold 3.9 ?

I don't think so - check with the guys in the vintage thread, but Gary in MD settled on using an Odyssey Cyclops (110W into 8 Ohms) with his directly-connected LCD-3. It's a monster, but it's not old.

cyclops2.jpg

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #1,263 of 3,871
  Why are you trying to get away from tubes Zilch? Do you have them coming out of your ears or something? 
tongue_smile.gif
 Nice to see you join the Senn club, have you heard the HD-800 yet? 
evil_smiley.gif

[snip]

LOL

Only six tubes were coming out of my ears, but I've got them boxed up, ready to ship with a Decware ZSTAGE (see the FS link in my signature, below).  

As transparent as the ZSTAGE is, given its simple design...

... I should think about the only thing you can actually hear is the tube itself, when you insert the ZSTAGE between DAC and amp, and introducing some tubeliciousness into the signal path was exactly what the bright and harsh treble of the Emotiva Mini-X a-100 needed, but with tubes comes rolling, lots and lots of rolling!  What I hear, with that many tubes from which to choose, is quite simply, too many choices!   
tongue.gif

I tend to obsess with such things, having spent about three months worth of evenings and weekends (over a year ago), rolling op-amps with my iBasso PB2 Pelican portable amp, where even a modest collection presented too many choices:

Here, I was using AD797s as buffers with OPA1611 in L/R.  The AD797s are prone to oscillation and although I couldn't hear anything unsavory, the case would get so hot, I added a heat sink.  LOL  

So much for portability!  I didn't use this combination but for a couple of days, but it sounded pretty good, despite leading me to purchase one of these - to measure op-amp temperatures (with the case opened):

Without resorting to the use of Loc-tite on the case screws, I've managed to keep the iBasso PB2 closed for several months, now, having finally settled on using LME49990 in L/R, with dummy buffers, but that followed several days of swapping HA5002 buffers in and out with the dummy buffers.  Better dynamics or more transparency?  Better dynamics or more transparency? Better dynamics or more transparency?Even just two choices was driving me crazy, before I finally went with more transparency.
rolleyes.gif

As much as I was tormented by rolling op-amps, and more recently, rolling tubes, I have to say, it really teaches you to listen analytically, but that leads to almost never listening emotionally.  

And therein lies my problem, at least, with rolling anything - be it op-amps or tubes:  I want to enjoy my music, not tweak it ad infinitum.   
redface.gif

That's where the TBI Millenia MG3 has brought so much solace - perfection - with no tweaking required (beyond my having spent about a week and a half comparing its signature at different supply voltages, finally settling on a 24V battery solution).  Tweak, tweak, tweak!  
biggrin.gif

But now, I just turn it on and listen. Yeah-yuh! 

L3000.gif

Mike

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #1,264 of 3,871

LOL

Only six tubes were coming out of my ears, but I've got them boxed up, ready to ship with a Decware ZSTAGE (see the FS link in my signature, below).  

As transparent as the ZSTAGE is, given its simple design...

... I should think about the only thing you can actually hear is the tube itself, when you insert the ZSTAGE between DAC and amp, and introducing some tubeliciousness into the signal path was exactly what the bright and harsh treble of the Emotiva Mini-X a-100 needed, but with tubes comes rolling, lots and lots of rolling!  What I hear, with that many tubes from which to choose, is quite simply, too many choices!   
tongue.gif

I tend to obsess with such things, having spent about three months worth of evenings and weekends (over a year ago), rolling op-amps with my iBasso PB2 Pelican portable amp, where even a modest collection presented too many choices:

Here, I was using AD797s as buffers with OPA1611 in L/R.  The AD797s are prone to oscillation and although I couldn't hear anything unsavory, the case would get so hot, I added a heat sink.  LOL  

So much for portability!  I didn't use this combination but for a couple of days, but it sounded pretty good, despite leading me to purchase one of these - to measure op-amp temperatures (with the case opened):

Without resorting to the use of Loc-tite on the case screws, I've managed to keep the iBasso PB2 closed for several months, now, having finally settled on using LME49990 in L/R, with dummy buffers, but that followed several days of swapping HA5002 buffers in and out with the dummy buffers.  Better dynamics or more transparency?  Better dynamics or more transparency? Better dynamics or more transparency?Even just two choices was driving me crazy, before I finally went with more transparency.
rolleyes.gif

As much as I was tormented by rolling op-amps, and more recently, rolling tubes, I have to say, it really teaches you to listen analytically, but that leads to almost never listening emotionally.  

And therein lies my problem, at least, with rolling anything - be it op-amps or tubes:  I want to enjoy my music, not tweak it ad infinitum.   
redface.gif

That's where the TBI Millenia MG3 has brought so much solace - perfection - with no tweaking required (beyond my having spent about a week and a half comparing its signature at different supply voltages, finally settling on a 24V battery solution).  Tweak, tweak, tweak!  
biggrin.gif

But now, I just turn it on and listen. Yeah-yuh! 

L3000.gif

Mike

Ahh ok, well I totally understand now why you don't want tubes. I wouldn't either if i was you! It's about time poor Mike has come around to enjoy the fruits of his labors :) If you ever go back to using a preamp, and seeing how you preferred transparency, do put the lightspeed at the top of your list! No tweaking required my friend. I for one still have a mountain of tweaking left to do, but these back loaded horns i built are just stopping me dead in my tracks lol. the soundstage extends well past the speakers and with great depth to boot. They are killer.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,267 of 3,871
  Back-loaded horns!  You're building amps AND speakers?   Sheesh!  Where do you get the energy?

Tell us more about the speakers (given that this thread has the word "speaker" in its title).  

biggrin.gif

Oh my pleasure Mike! 

Yeah lol, It's overwhelming sometimes, which is why i wholly recommend cardboard boxes for each project lol! First off, I bought everything from Madisound. They are a wonderful crew that is very informative during the purchase process and have been in business nearly 4 decades. After much research, I chose the Fostex FE206En. The reason being is that it's widely accepted as that is their best fullrange driver, despite more expensive offerings, and there is a ton of info and computer-modeled enclosure schematics for them. Second, is that an 8in. driver gives a much better bass response than the smaller siblings. Third, I can mod the whizzer cone, or remove it completely and put in phase plugs if i wish.

As said earlier, there are tons of enclosures that are available for them. However, the very best ones are massive and you need to make it yourself or find a local woodworker to do it for you. I am not at the stage to undertake those massive beasts, nor have the space at the moment. Therefore I opted to go with the Fostex BK-20 enclosure, easy to assemble, great price, and fits my room perfectly. I used 100% Tung Oil to stain them, but they still need an extra coat or two, and the edges are unfinished. I'm afraid I have to wait until Spring now to complete that task.

Next up, the general consensus is that fullrange drivers lack a bit of air in the top end. Since all this was so affordable, I decided to go for the Fostex T90a Super Tweeters! Also needed is an attenuator and some caps to adjust brightness/darkness. These I do not have hooked up yet until I become super familiar with the drivers first in order to make proper tweaks to my taste.

All in all, if you were to buy them, sans super tweeters, its about $700 shipped. That's the cost of the HE-500 for some fullrange speakers! With the tweeters and required accessories, its about $1,100 shipped. Still a good deal, unlike bookshelves i've seen at that price. I don't have a sub hooked up at the moment, and i don't really miss it. The speakers are totally transparent with a great musical tone, not dry as dust, and not bloomy as a ...flower?? Lol anyways, they are extremely enjoyable as-is and ive yet to roll in the tweeters. Here's a couple pics. Please excuse the state of my audio rack, it's missing alot of gear and the whole listening room is in a complete state of flux right now. I'll take more once complete in the future :)

- 2x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-20-cabinet-sold-flat-each/ (add 2x of the input cups from drop down menu too)
- 2x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-fullrange/fostex-fe206en-8-full-range/
- 2x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/bullet-tweeters/fostex-t90a-top-mount-horn-super-tweeter/

Tweeter attenuator: two options
1) 1x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/l-pads-attenuators/fostex-r82b-200w-l-pad/
2) 2x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/l-pads-attenuators/fostex-r80b-100w-l-pad/

i went with #1 because it's cheaper and is only one knob instead of two.

Capacitors to adjust brightness/darkness of tweeters: get 2 of each, they're cheap enough to play with.

- 2x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/solen-capacitors/solen-0.33-mfd-fast-cap-630v-ppe-series/
- 2x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/solen-capacitors/solen-0.47-mfd-fast-cap-630v-ppe-series/
- 2x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/solen-capacitors/solen-1-mfd-fast-cap-400v/

Misc. Hardware:
- 8x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/black-ox-wax-finish/screw-size-8-1-phillips-pan-head-black-ox-wax-finish/
18oz. Gorilla Wood Glue
- Some sandpaper
- Choice of finish, i used Hope's 100% Tung Oil 18oz. bottle
- 6ft ea. of 12-14 awg. black and red wire, or whatever color you want.

Home Depot: These are insanely cheap for the quality, free shipping too. I love them. This is the minimum quantity you need.
- 3x http://www.homedepot.com/p/100159936
- 2x http://www.homedepot.com/p/100134583

Optionals:
- 1x http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/acoustic-damping/dampers-acousta-stuf/lb/ (owner didn't recommend it, so i didnt use it)
- 4x each Red and Black Quick connects if you don't want to solder.

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,270 of 3,871
Brunk, you are such a mad scientist!

Quote:
  [snip]

All in all, if you were to buy them, sans super tweeters, its about $700 shipped. That's the cost of the HE-500 for some fullrange speakers! With the tweeters and required accessories, its about $1,100 shipped. Still a good deal, unlike bookshelves i've seen at that price. I don't have a sub hooked up at the moment, and i don't really miss it. The speakers are totally transparent with a great musical tone, not dry as dust, and not bloomy as a ...flower?? Lol anyways, they are extremely enjoyable as-is and ive yet to roll in the tweeters.

[snip]

I say "scientist" for how smartly you documented everything in that post!  That was even more detailed than your tips for soldering - which sent my scurrying off to order everything so that I can be just like you when I grow up!   
biggrin.gif

Now you go and hit me with this!  How's a guy supposed to resist it when you lay it all out so well?

No!  I must resist!  I will NOT be assimilated into the Brunk collective!  
biggrin.gif

LOL

Those speakers are no doubt very efficient.  And as I've said before, I envy your self-satisfaction of having built them yourself!  What a glow that must be...

Seriously, the "mad" part of "mad scientist" is the passion you exhibit.  I'm inspired!  

Mike

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,271 of 3,871

I say "scientist" for how smartly you documented everything in that post!  That was even more detailed than your tips for soldering - which sent my scurrying off to order everything so that I can be just like you when I grow up!   
biggrin.gif

Now you go and hit me with this!  How's a go supposed to resist it when you lay it all out so well?

No!  I must resist!  I will NOT be assimilated into the Brunk collective!  
biggrin.gif

LOL

Those speakers are no doubt very efficient.  And as I've said before, I envy your self-satisfaction of having built them yourself!  What a glow that must be...

Seriously, the "mad" part of "mad scientist" is the passion you exhibit.  I'm inspired!  

Thanks Mike! I would love to have that as my title lol :)

Mike

Hehe thanks Mike! I'm glad you enjoy my posts 
biggrin.gif
 Come join the Brunk-o-lution, the information is laid out before you... 
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah they are very efficient and my next amp endeavor will be finding a design that allows for A+B speaker outputs like my golden nugget of a Yammy I have. My next project hopefully starting next week will be this little devil - a Cornet2 from Hageman Technology and of course it won't be complete without a TOTL A/D converter - a PCM4222 EVM from TI 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike... if I can do it, you surely can! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #1,272 of 3,871
Just wanted to let you folks know that I will NOT be doing a comparison test of 9-mile-long cables vs. 9-ft-long ones, or even 9-inch-long ones.  I mean, there have to be some limits to the insanity.

I am seriously considering buying an Emo DC-1 Stealth DAC.  They're on sale right now for $500 and the siren song of a relative bargain is drawing me closer and closer... This purchase could put at risk next summer's DAC comparison if I really love the DC-1 and am able to overcome the incredibly strong urge to do comparison tests whether I need new equipment or not (except for comparisons related to 9-mile cables).

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #1,273 of 3,871
Nov 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,274 of 3,871
  Lol Gary, I don't even think a bonafide audio nut would expect that! In regards to the Emo DAC, have you seen the upcoming line of Geek Pulse gear from Light Harmonic? Ground floor indiegogo backers get the DAC for $249.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687851/geek-pulse-geek-desktop-dac-amp-by-light-harmonics

I recall commenting elsewhere that this product looks great except for the fixed 4V rms analog line out.  Why so high?  (Why not 2V rms?)

This alone would make it incompatible with a lot of speaker amps.  We're bouncing along near 7:00 o'clock on the volume control, as it is.  Hopefully, that's just a type in those specs.

Mike

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,275 of 3,871
Hey Gary,

Quote:
  I am seriously considering buying an Emo DC-1 Stealth DAC.  They're on sale right now for $500 and the siren song of a relative bargain is drawing me closer and closer... 

Wow, their write-up on the DC-1 is compelling.  All for $499.  I can see that the sale price includes free shipping, as usual, but do you know if it also allows their 30-day return policy?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back