Speaker amp advice: Vintage Monitor Audio acoustic-suspension bookshelfs?
Oct 2, 2011 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
My speakers are Monitor Audio MA-8's, vintage bookshelf speakers from the 70s or 80s. They're on the large side and have acoustic suspension woofers which I believe means they're probably quite hard to drive?

I was hoping I'd be able to get one of those wee T-amp things. Space and portability is important. But would that be able to drive my speakers efficiently? I'm currently using an old Onkyo Integra integrated amp but it's having issues with channels cutting out and imbalance, hence needing a replacement. It's also far too big for my desk.

Any suggestions? Preferably on the cheaper side. Like under $400.

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 4
I used to drive my Monitor Audio MA1200 gold with a 25W Cyrus One and it was okay. Not sure if it means anything. :regular_smile :

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 4
My current amp is rated at 60w and I'm pretty sure it's driving them sufficiently. Not sure how to tell since I haven't got anything to compare it with but there's plenty of headroom on the volume side of things. Knob goes up to 40 and it's plenty loud enough at 8.

I'm not sure if they need a lot of power since there's pretty much no information available on them. I just heard that suspension drivers are more difficult to drive, and also the fact that it's unported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back