SPDIF from motherboard or Soundcard
Feb 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SilverS

Head-Fier
I have two options:

- Use optical that's coming off my motherboard
- Use Coaxial on an ASUS Xonar D2X

These are being plugged into a Peachtree Audio Dac-iT.

Which one will produce the best sound?

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 7
With the D2X, you will have more options for effects, that will be available to you over S/Pdif.
Depending on the coupling, the S/Pdif output may also be a higher quality implementation.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 7
My only worry is that the DAC on the Xonar will activate before sending the signal to the nicer Peachtree Audio DAC... you think that will happen or does coaxial not do that?

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
My only worry is that the DAC on the Xonar will activate before sending the signal to the nicer Peachtree Audio DAC... you think that will happen or does coaxial not do that?

I can't see how the DAC would get it's self involved, the DAC converts Digital to Analog and your not sending out analog, just digital.
Personally, I doubt it makes no difference for sound quality which S/PDIF you use, at least for music.
but for movies or gaming, I'm guessing better to use the sound card's S/PDIF.

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

No.  It doesn't work like that.  If you set the Xonar for digital output, that is what you will get S/Pdif output.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 7
like some said, if the hardware used on your motherboard is lesser quality that could be a problem but generally very unnoticeable and if there is a problem..u will usually hear it

next. sound cards have been known to be able to do two things. just send out the PCM out along it's merry away..untouched. or add it's own effects and DSP's to the PCM stream. if you want that... that's good then. some gamer audiophiles want a dolby surround DSP in their stream being sent.

in the end, i would just use your soundcards. and be sure to disable all sound effects and stuff (if you don't want them..don't get enticed by the names. if you don't game or need one specifically..don't activate it) im just going to go with it is fancier and should have better hardware.

S/PDIF if i remember always bypasses the DAC and is just a PCM stream :/ the DAC won't just jump in and taint the stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back