Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #616 of 775
Haven't heard anything back regarding replacement driver yet, so I'm wondering if I should try 3rd party drivers

Found these: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50mm-speaker-unit-Strong-Bass-Titanium-film-fever-unit/32337138321.html (yes, they are only 50mm but I haven't found any 53mm)
There are plenty of options on AE, but I'm not sure about the quality of them. Any advice about what to look for?

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #617 of 775
Haven't heard anything back regarding replacement driver yet, so I'm wondering if I should try 3rd party drivers

Found these: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50mm-speaker-unit-Strong-Bass-Titanium-film-fever-unit/32337138321.html (yes, they are only 50mm but I haven't found any 53mm)
There are plenty of options on AE, but I'm not sure about the quality of them. Any advice about what to look for?

I'd try the momentum driver, you might have to make an adapter for it to fit, however they are ver cheap considering they come from a $300 dollar headphone.

Part # 564538 (MOMENTUM On-Ear left side) $11.76

Part # 564539 (MOMENTUM On-Ear right side) $11.76

Part # 550298 (MOMENTUM right side) $10.98

Part # 550299 (MOMENTUM left side) $10.98

To place an order you can call 860-434-9190 ext 1 and reference the part #

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #618 of 775
I'd try the momentum driver, you might have to make an adapter for it to fit, however they are ver cheap considering they come from a $300 dollar headphone.

Part # 564538 (MOMENTUM On-Ear left side) $11.76

Part # 564539 (MOMENTUM On-Ear right side) $11.76

Part # 550298 (MOMENTUM right side) $10.98

Part # 550299 (MOMENTUM left side) $10.98

To place an order you can call 860-434-9190 ext 1 and reference the part #

That's interesting, especially for that price. Would love to get my hands on drivers like that, but I suspect shipping to Europe would at least double the price..

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #619 of 775
Wow, even at double the price that's still only around $40 in total for both drivers. Seems worth it to me. Though I did find the momentum sound to be quite V-shaped with boomy bass & fatiguing highs, so I'd say that mods such as the Tru-Fi mod (in my signature) would be essential to refine their sound.

Or if going with the 50mm Chinese drivers above, I would recommend the 150 ohm version. Higher ohms means more controlled bass. But not to mention you'd likely need to fabricate your own bracket adapter for either drivers to make them fit tightly in the SoundMagic cups.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #620 of 775
I was pretty much expecting to have to fab up a ring adapter of some sort if I'm stuck with 50mm.

I haven't heard the momentums, but for the price it'd be hard to go wrong, and they'd still sound better than my 150 does now.

Has anybody tried to remove the drivers from the baffles? I'm really hoping its not like "liberating" Grado drivers where you have to destroy something to get them out

(oh, SM... why haven't you just gotten back to me)

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #624 of 775
Heck, if I'm going the Senn route, why not HD600 drivers
biggrin.gif

Seriously, tell me more bout the Momentums then. Just in case

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #625 of 775
  Heck, if I'm going the Senn route, why not HD600 drivers
biggrin.gif

Seriously, tell me more bout the Momentums then. Just in case

How expensive are the HD600 drivers?

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #628 of 775
I've been looking for a decent but not expensive closed circumaural headphones for quite a bit and gods, HP150 gave me all I've wanted. They have a sick synergy with bare DX80 and to be honest, they sound better with bare iBasso than with a sandwich DX80 + Aune B1. The sub-bas is amazing and I'm also using them to play CS:Go. The only flaw I see right now is that stupid cable lock system which prevents me from getting a good, custom-made cable for them as most of the jacks are too wide to fit. Even those marked as super-slims... :/ But sound-wise (I got mine brand new for ~110$), they leave little to demand.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #629 of 775
  I've been looking for a decent but not expensive closed circumaural headphones for quite a bit and gods, HP150 gave me all I've wanted. They have a sick synergy with bare DX80 and to be honest, they sound better with bare iBasso than with a sandwich DX80 + Aune B1. The sub-bas is amazing and I'm also using them to play CS:Go. The only flaw I see right now is that stupid cable lock system which prevents me from getting a good, custom-made cable for them as most of the jacks are too wide to fit. Even those marked as super-slims... :/ But sound-wise (I got mine brand new for ~110$), they leave little to demand.

Couldn't agree more. I got mine for about the same price, and it's the best investment into audio equipment I've ever made. While I enjoy them out of a more "neutral" source (OPPO HA-2) hey are even better out of my Little Dot I+.

My boss (!) is actually going to lend me his AKG K701 (says he's not using them a lot nowadays, I suppose I have a pretty good boss..), It will be very interesting to see how they stack up against the HP150. Yes, I know, open vs closed etc, but I've been pretty interested in getting a pair of K7XX to complement my HP150. The sound signatures will probably be a lot different, but still will be interesting.. :)

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #630 of 775
Hi All,

Just bought my new spanking new pair of HP150s and thought I'd write my impressions on where I found out the most info originally - these are just my opinions though from a music enthusiast but definitely not an audiophile junkie yet - All played from a FIIO X-1 (which I love btw) - spoiler alert, I didn't end up liking these

So, first off I really like the feel of the headphones, the new paintjob and style is a lot nicer than what the HP100 looked like. The whole thing is seems quite rugged, despite the much talked about hinges, but honestly I can't see myself moving that about too much anyway.

The cans fit nicely over my ears and are generally comfortable thanks to the padding all around and extra padding on the inside of the cups themselves. The stuff it comes with, case, extender cable, adapters etc. are all a nice addition as well as the gold plated connectors.

HOWEVER,

I personally don't really enjoy what the soundmagics are putting out in terms of sound. So to give some perspective, I don't own 100 pairs of headphones and can compare them all, I had a pair of In-ear Isport victorys which I think sound pretty good on the whole despite the slight lack of sound stage, but they are IEMs afterall...previously had a couple of pairs of random in-ears, Bose soundtrue Over-ear and a few other random over-ears. This was my first pair of "okay I want good over ears now".

So I'll describe what I hear and why I personally don't like it, but maybe you might.

The sound generally IS good, it reproduces sound sensitively, especially when you have low frequency base ramping up and you feel it all the way, its great. So the low frequency range is there and gives much a decent punch when needed, but for me if you wanted to listen to something bass heavy expecting to be really hyped up, this doesn't really deliver for me, but of course it's not designed to be a bass thumping pair of headphones...fine.

Then I'll jump to treble. Sounds are crisp, you can really focus and distinguish cymbals, highhats, anything short and sweet sounds good.

But where I have problems with being super happy with my new purchase is the midrange and generally how the music "comes together". 

This is why I disclosed my history of mainly in-ear, I feel that years of mainly relying on my Isport victory's have distorted how I might imagine music. But generally I try and imagine what I want my headphones to sound like vs. having a perfect speaker system setup.

Anyway, I generally find vocals just slightly "off", it's hard to describe, because generally vocals sound okay, especially when I fiddle around with the EQ. But it just feels like the vocals are just on the other side of a thin web and just isn't as clear or upfront as I'd want it to be. From imagine dragons, to avicii, eminem, the eagles and Jess Glynne (who is very vocal oriented) - all flac just to be sure -  I can't quite get the AHhhhh sensation of the vocals being just perfect that I imagined I'd get. 

Partially because of this vocal midrange business I feel like the top and bottom frequency ranges sounds good if you focused on them but I just found the HP150s didn't quite bring it all together, it feels like I'm listening to 3 different parts of one track if that makes sense. I've given it a few days but just couldn't quite feel fully relaxed and enjoy the sound coming from the phones.

So overall, the sound IS good, highs are clean, lows aren't overpowering, but just the middle, I just can't quite sit back and think, man this is perfect.

This is one of my first review replies so please do comment if you agree or disagree. I'd also be really happy to hear any suggestions about alternative pairs of headphones I could get, I remember not liking the B&O H6s or 7s, but feeling good with the H8s, but obviously I'm paying a lot more for that. So is it a price issue, a not being a headphones guy issue or just the HP150s aren't the right pair for me?

Thanks for reading if you did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back