SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
May 22, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #857 of 1,386
  It only needs to last a few more days, it just isn't convenient to send right now.

If you plan on sending it in for warranty repair later, I wouldn't hot glue it, no.

On a more personal note, I'm REALLY enjoying my HP100 at work today.  I think the combination of overnight burn-in with different AMP/DAC is helping a lot.  I think the M-Stage is just too dark for cans that are neutral/warm in the first place... at least for my preferences.  These are performing much better with my little Fiio E11.  The highs can get really sibilant at times, but I've read that that will go away with more burn-in.

I'm just so pleased with these right now.  I got them for a song ($135) and they're well worth the money spent.  Sound signature is just where I like it, isolation is sufficient enough that I can't hear my Cherry MX Blue keyboard while I'm typing this, it's been really comfortable all morning.

Really the only thing I don't like about these right now is the cord.  It's not bad at home, but it's all kinds of in the way at work.  I'm going to grab that Monoprice cable to see if it works as a replacement.

May 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #859 of 1,386
I don't think these isolate very well. With no music playing I can easily hear other people in the same room talking.

I guess I'm comparing them to my open headphones that I've tried at work.  The background noise really drowns out the detail.  On closed ones, it's much better.  Is this the best I've heard?  Nope.  But that's why I said "sufficient". 
biggrin.gif

Also, just to be internet-smarmy, I don't tend to wear them with no music playing. 
ph34r.gif

May 22, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #860 of 1,386
I don't think these isolate very well. With no music playing I can easily hear other people in the same room talking.

It's well above average, what you indicated isn't a sign of bad isolation (at least for full-size), as it will be the same with any non-ANC headphone (and most ANC headphones).  It isn't going to get significantly better without some form of ANC.

May 25, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #861 of 1,386
Quick update:  I got the cable from Monoprice.  The part that goes into the headphone (circled in red) fits like a glove, but it's not long enough.  Another mm and this would be a perfect replacement.  As is, it doesn't go in quite far enough to make any sound come out.  Bummer, because it's a decent looking cable at a good price.

May 27, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #862 of 1,386
  Excellent.  I already bought this cable though.  According to the seller this should be thin enough to fit.  If not I'll get the extender.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321365725252?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

How did this one work out?  I really need to get rid of my curly cable...

May 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #863 of 1,386

How did this one work out?  I really need to get rid of my curly cable...

The first shipment got lost in the mail, the seller was kind enough send a replacement which I haven't received yet.  I'm having doubts as to whether it would fit since I tried another cable that seems like it has a very thin connector but didn't fit the inner, even thinner part of the jack.

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #865 of 1,386
Finally got the cable. While I'm happy that it fits, it's quite microphonic.

Thanks, that's great info.  I'll go for one of those little adapters.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #867 of 1,386
  After walking around with this cable, it actually isn't microphonic at all, weird.

Weird... what were you hearing before then?  So you'd now recommend that cable?

EDIT  - Been testing the HP100 with a Yulong D100 and it's a pretty nice pairing!  The amp part is so strong that in the Low headphone port, the volume is only at 8:00 on the dial and it's borderline too loud.  And of course the DAC on the Yulong is really clean and bright.  Too bad I can't keep the D100 at work because it's too damn big.  :frowning2:

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #869 of 1,386
  It's microphonic when you tap the cable, while walking as long as the cable isn't swinging around and brushing again your clothes there is little to no microphonics.

Eh, I think I'll stay away then.  Cable microphonics are super annoying to me.  It's like the one thing I really didn't like about the Denon AH-D600, an otherwise fantastic headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back