Sound Signature of The Denon D5000?
Mar 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I have read a good amount of information about these, but there seems to be a lack of a general consensus on what they actually sound like besides being "good". I'm thinking of letting go of my RS-1 to get the D5000. I like the RS-1, but I not too much into heavy rock or metal so I think I want more of an flexible can for all of my music.

What would you say the Denon D5000 sound like? And in comparison to the W5000, HD650, and RS-1?

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 39
Man, these threads move down fast! Bump.

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 39
The D5000's are the best all-arounder I've heard. Their sound signature is warm (but not colored), natural, easy, detailed (but not hyped or analytical), upfront (but not in your face), unfatiguing, reasonably vivid, very smooth, pure, well-balanced (except they can be bass heavy with some types of music and amps).

Mids: There is something about the D5000's tonality in the mids that just hits it right. Other phones like the K1000's and Stax are a bit more resolving in this area, but lack a certain sense of purity, ease and musicality in this region that the D5000 have. Compared to the other phones that you mentioned the D5000 is arguably more natural here. For me, the mids are almost everything in jugding a phone - it's where most of the music lies.

Highs: Slightly rolled off, a bit sweet, but still very convincing and real.

Bass: This is the area that can be troublesome. the bass is huge and deep, but a bit flabby and overpowering with some music. IMO,the markl mods correct at least 75% of the problem (Do a Headfi search). Once corrected, the bass is way better than the other phones you mention.

Soundstage: Similar to the RS-1's in their unmodded state, meaning a bit flat, but very intimate. A slight ear pad mod (markl version) will open up the soudstage to near perfection.

I hope this helps.

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 39
I have a HD650, beyer 990 and a ultrasone 780 and just received the DENON D5000
The D5000 is fantastic.
Compared to HD650: Better soundstage and deep/warm bass. no veil
smily_headphones1.gif
(mids)
Compared to Beyer 990: the Denon sounds like beyer with better bass, differents mids but more organic overall. highs are less fatiguing.
EXTREMELY GOOD HEADPHONES IMHO.

tested on FLACs (Rock, jazz), auzentech x-fi prelude with asio/bit perfect/resampling at 96khz, MF x-can v3 with 6H23N-EB tubes / X-PSU.
note: I agree with tev, on some tracks the bass are overpowering but for me they are still better than a boomy beyer or 780.

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tev's description above reminds me of my JVC DX-1000's. I have not heard the Denon's.

Not even close. The DX1000 have way more bass energy and more controlled, with more information and texture, though a bit less impactful in the mid-upper bass, while reaching the deepest depths you might ever wish to get from headphones. The midrange is more forward and detailed on the D5000 with a treble response which is "almost right" just a tad bit bright with some recordings, while the DX1000's treble is very smooth and rolled off. Overall sound in the D5000 is very balanced, producing almost the same energy accross the whole frequency spectrum. OTOH the DX1000 are warm cans with more energy in the bass and midrange up to 1KHz, having everything else above that frequency very smooth and recessed. The D5000 might get fatiguing if you listen to many pop dynamically compressed recordings. The DX1000 cannot get fatiguing, but with music having much bass, they could be overpowering.

Regards

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D5000's are the best all-arounder I've heard. Their sound signature is warm (but not colored), natural, easy, detailed (but not hyped or analytical), upfront (but not in your face), unfatiguing, reasonably vivid, very smooth, pure, well-balanced (except they can be bass heavy with some types of music and amps).

Mids: There is something about the D5000's tonality in the mids that just hits it right. Other phones like the K1000's and Stax are a bit more resolving in this area, but lack a certain sense of purity, ease and musicality in this region that the D5000 have. Compared to the other phones that you mentioned the D5000 is arguably more natural here. For me, the mids are almost everything in jugding a phone - it's where most of the music lies.

Highs: Slightly rolled off, a bit sweet, but still very convincing and real.

Bass: This is the area that can be troublesome. the bass is huge and deep, but a bit flabby and overpowering with some music. IMO,the markl mods correct at least 75% of the problem (Do a Headfi search). Once corrected, the bass is way better than the other phones you mention.

Soundstage: Similar to the RS-1's in their unmodded state, meaning a bit flat, but very intimate. A slight ear pad mod (markl version) will open up the soudstage to near perfection.

I hope this helps.

Man this is almost exactly how I feel about D2000, except the rolled of highs that you mentioned, to my ears almost a tiny bit to much treble, thats one of the reassons I have not done the markl mod.

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 39
Well, I have had them now and I must say they may be worth the hype. They have a really nice tonal balance. It's like a hd650 mixed with a rs-1.

The only problem is that the bass is overpowering on *some* recordings. However, they contrast greatly with my W5000.

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have had them now and I must say they may be worth the hype. They have a really nice tonal balance. It's like a hd650 mixed with a rs-1.

The only problem is that the bass is overpowering on *some* recordings. However, they contrast greatly with my W5000.

Hahahaha, good description!!! The bass issue is what made me getting them modded by Markl. I'm expecting very good things from those cans
icon10.gif
Having a greater soundstage won't hurt either. Hopefully in a few days I'll know hehehehe

Regards

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 39
Are the Denons much easier to drive than the Senns and AKGs? Do the do better with lower power amps?

Tim

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Denons much easier to drive than the Senns and AKGs? Do the do better with lower power amps?

Tim

Not sure, for the short trial I had here when the friend owning it came home, I'd say the D5000 is easier to drive than K701 and about the same level than HD600, perhaps a bit easier, but not as an easy load as the DX1000. I'd need to test them with the iPod's output. I should be able to say more in a few days. Hopefully other owners can offer more useful comments.

Regards

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 39
The D5000 areprobably the easiest ophones to run out off the ones listed . I have a pair of D5000 and wiould not sell or trade them as they are one of my best ophones but at the end of the day they are not what I grab instinctually to gicve good long kllisten too. There is somethinfg aboutthe 600/65o's that is just not there in the 6X0 so no matter how much I may be enjoying the D5000 when I put on any iof my senheissers I hear whgat it is I think I'm missing. The D5000 are one of the headphones that if I were aloud only 2 pairs they would be one. The HD-600's would be the other.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not even close. The DX1000 have way more bass energy and more controlled, with more information and texture, though a bit less impactful in the mid-upper bass, while reaching the deepest depths you might ever wish to get from headphones. The midrange is more forward and detailed on the D5000 with a treble response which is "almost right" just a tad bit bright with some recordings, while the DX1000's treble is very smooth and rolled off. Overall sound in the D5000 is very balanced, producing almost the same energy accross the whole frequency spectrum. OTOH the DX1000 are warm cans with more energy in the bass and midrange up to 1KHz, having everything else above that frequency very smooth and recessed. The D5000 might get fatiguing if you listen to many pop dynamically compressed recordings. The DX1000 cannot get fatiguing, but with music having much bass, they could be overpowering.

Regards

I agree that the D5000's are significantly different than the DX1000's in the ways that you mention. They are both higher end closed woodies in current production, so I think some people may group them together, but they are each quite unique in their own ways. However, they both share big bass, especially compared to a lot of phones in their class.

The DX1000's are warmer, lusher, and remind be a bit of old McIntosh gear in their balance. They're enjoyable, euphonic and fun. The D5000's are more accurate and tonally balanced IMO, except for the bass which can be overpowering on bassier music. The D5000's strike the best balance between a warm intimate sound and a detailed reference sound that I've ever heard.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 39
Perhaps the community is needing a full review of the DX1000, D5000 and W5000 since those three are the higher end closed woodies in current production. I haven't listened to the W5000 so I can't do it, but if I found the time, I could try to post a comparo of the DX1000 and modded D5000 when I get them and receive some burn-in.

Rgrds

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 39
It's been 6 months since I wrote this review, which does compare the DX1000 and the D5000: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...beware-232318/

However, more than 6 months later, I am not sure I still prefer the D5000 over the DX1000. I still absolutely love them both, though. I am listening to the D5000's right now, and they sound just fantastic. They remain one of my all time favorite headphones. Unlike so many headphones, they don't seriously lack in any area. They are not perfect, nor are they the best at everything. They have more bass than something like the W5000, and this likely will not appeal to the same listener. But for me, the D5000's are a headphone I could very happily have as my one and only. That's saying a LOT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back