Sound Signature of The Denon D5000?
Apr 28, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my stock D5000 and D2000 -- they do NOT have sloppy bass -- I drive them with decent sources and amps, so maybe that is the difference?
If I could only keep ONE can, it would be either my D5000 or D2000.
They just do everything so well, without excess anywhere, or missing frequencies anywhere -- if it's on the CD, I hear it -- if bass is too heavy, it is only because the bass was recorded too heavy in the mixing, not because the cans "added" extra bass, where none existed.

How do the 5000 and 2000 compare? Are they much the same phones in plastic and wood?

To tell the truth, I'd have the 2000 in my consideration set for my next set of cans if it were not for all the Dennon mod talk around here. I don't want sloppy, overpowering bass (on bass-heavy material, the bass in my HD580 is plenty), and the idea of paying for a premium headphone that immediately needs to be stuffed with damping material just sent me looking at other alternatives (K701, 880).

Tim

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #32 of 39
Same here - if I could keep just ONE headphone, it would be the D5000. I actually like both the JVC DX1000 and the Headphile Deep-cup Darth Beyers better, but both of those headphones require the right amp to work (and they are different "right amps"). The D5000's sound good with EVERY amp I use them with.

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here - if I could keep just ONE headphone, it would be the D5000. I actually like both the JVC DX1000 and the Headphile Deep-cup Darth Beyers better, but both of those headphones require the right amp to work (and they are different "right amps"). The D5000's sound good with EVERY amp I use them with.

But they need an amp, right? I thought it was at least a little bit picky about amps, like the über-Grado, GS1000, and required one that could deliver the current - especially in light of their very deep bass.

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #34 of 39
Oh yes, the do need an amp. But at least for me they sound quite good with all of the amps I have. I think all of the amps I have do a pretty decent job with current delivery, though.

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #35 of 39
Even when you dig into bass so deep it makes the AC hum sound like treble in comparison?

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the 5000 and 2000 compare? Are they much the same phones in plastic and wood?

To tell the truth, I'd have the 2000 in my consideration set for my next set of cans if it were not for all the Dennon mod talk around here. I don't want sloppy, overpowering bass (on bass-heavy material, the bass in my HD580 is plenty), and the idea of paying for a premium headphone that immediately needs to be stuffed with damping material just sent me looking at other alternatives (K701, 880).

Tim

Again, Rob showed up to the party way ahead of schedule
smily_headphones1.gif
-

Comparison: Denon AH-D2000, AH-D5000, and Headphile "Darth Denon"

I'll be getting D2000's myself and extensively modding them. Kind of my headphone project for the summer.

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, the do need an amp. But at least for me they sound quite good with all of the amps I have. I think all of the amps I have do a pretty decent job with current delivery, though.

Do they even sound good with your WA3?

When I had the WA3, it did not have sufficient current to drive my RS-1s (at 32 ohms) - it clipped.

I guess I'm surprised it drives your D5000s well at 25 ohms... unless... it's modified. The stock WA3 should send your D5000s into "catatonic shock."

They're even hard to drive with my Solo, and most certainly the DV332.

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #38 of 39
I have spent almost zero time using the WA3 with the Denons. I will try it and report back.

But for sure they sound good with the DV 337, the SP Extreme, and the Ming Da tube amps I have, as well as the Blue Circle SBH and Meier Opera SS amps.

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tim

On excessive bass-heavy material, I also use HD580 or HD650 to tame it, and make it listenable.
For the majority of normally-mixed music, the D5000 has a bit better overall sound in every part of the sound spectrum -- though the D2000 does very well, too -- either one would keep me happy -- but if I had to choose only one, it would be D5000 -- not considering cost.
If cost is important, then the D2000 is just fine.
Like I posted elsewhere, the Denons let you hear what is on the recording -- it does not "add" bass where there is none, like some seem to think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back