Sound Science Corner Pub
May 13, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #616 of 705
Not objecting to this but isn't it sad that a thread labelled "the corner pub" has to be dedicated to dealing with trolls to such an extent that ordinary content / chatter can't even be accommodated?
What's concerning to outsiders is the hostility on sound science to trolls, which is trolling. Sorry but yes the intent is noble but execution comes off hateful, demeaning, intimidating, and condescending. But heck im just a hippie audio consumer so take or leave it. Id suggest new posters might freshen it up

May 13, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #618 of 705
TOS 1, 2 and 5…

1. Be polite. No attacks.

Attacking the members in this forum as a group is done all the time by these trolls. “The people at sound science are stupid/deluded/drinking the kool aid, etc.” That isn’t a one on one attack, but it’s still an attack and it’s a pretty good barometer for what’s to come.

2. Post in the appropriate forum.

Sound science isn’t the appropriate forum to post purely subjective impressions and non scientifically based tweaks. There’s a whole chunk of head fi where that is on topic. If someone has an impression and wants to see if it can be explained scientifically, that is fine. But when you say “I trust my ears, not science.” you’re off topic for this forum.

5. Sound science is the place to discuss DBX tests.

It isn’t the place to argue against DBX tests. It wouldn’t be allowed to go into the cable forum repeatedly posting that cables don’t matter and people who say that they do are just trying to rip you off. That could be done without mentioning ABX and it would still earn a boot in the backside. So the topic of the forum is to be respected, not argued with.

May 13, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #619 of 705
What's concerning to outsiders is the hostility on sound science to trolls, which is trolling.
That is completely unfair.

People come in here with the specific purpose of making us mad, then they cry that we are “a bunch of meanies” when we return it in kind.

There are two alternatives… 1) Admins moderate the forum consistently to minimize conflict, and 2) in the absence of moderation, the participants have to put down trolls themselves. That involves answering the attack.

Nobody here wants to fight, but when trolls come in here squaring for a fight and the admins do nothing, they get it. If they don’t like that, they can go to a more receptive forum. This forum has a topic- science. If someone wants to be argumentative against the topic, they can do that elsewhere.

May 13, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #620 of 705
I tried, but see yourself.
You were invited to start a thread. In this thread, you should lurk until you understand its purpose. Don’t square up for a fight.

May 13, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #621 of 705
OOOkay let the cage fights continue Byeeeeee

Image.jpg

May 13, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #622 of 705
Find people to interact with that you respect. Follow your bliss. Don’t look back.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #623 of 705
What's concerning to outsiders is the hostility on sound science to trolls, which is trolling. Sorry but yes the intent is noble but execution comes off hateful, demeaning, intimidating, and condescending. But heck im just a hippie audio consumer so take or leave it. Id suggest new posters might freshen it up
You completely lost me there.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 13, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #624 of 705
May 13, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #625 of 705
Welcome back.

May 13, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #626 of 705
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 13, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #627 of 705
May 13, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #628 of 705
@Joe Bloggs I guess he meant that if trolls do their thing and people get angry and fight back, the incivility rises... and that's exactly what trolls want, nothing else. They want to disturb, to derail a topic, to make everyone feel miserable... and yes, it's just human to get annoyed by such individuals, but one very wise internet philosophy is still true since the first hours of the world wide web:

dont-feed-the-trolls-mug.jpg

May 13, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #629 of 705
So, I've deleted 2 threads in a few days now. The why, probably isn't a huge mystery to those who were reading those threads. I'm not a fan of such heavy moves in general, but once the OP himself turns into the final boss with very many posts that shouldn't exist, I can ban him from his own thread(weird) and painfully take out all the offensive stuff one by one, then check where it was quoted. Or I can press "delete thread" and be done.
I guess what I'm saying is, I'm lazy. I'm sorry for those who had posted relevant content, you're the victims of my "soft and precise" approach.

As someone who had a lot of posts in yesterday’s thread, I’m glad you deleted it. The OP’s post content was reprehensible and there really wasn’t anything worth preserving. After the first 10 or so posts, there was zero content regarding audio.

May 13, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #630 of 705
No, I’d like to see a group of volunteers get together and work up a strategy and guidelines that they all implement. Admins are always volunteers. Putting it all on the shoulders of one person isn’t fair.

Having been part of a moderator group on another platform, it really doesn’t work. Too many back channel conversations and disagreements about what and who can stay or go leading to some hard feelings amongst the moderators. Yesterday’s thread was the first time in my 12 years here that a thread went that far off the rails - if this happens once a decade, I don’t see the need to change the moderation structure.

What does concern me is that I reached out several times to the site wide mods assuming Castle had something to do in the real world and got no response. If the site wide mods are going to ignore Sound Science, then Castle should have the current limits of his mod capabilities removed so that he has all the tools he needs to give someone like yesterday’s troll the boot from the entire platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back