Sound Potion: Monolith
Mar 24, 2014 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
I like to introduce an amp that to my suerprize has remain quiet unnoticed even in its hometown. It is a product that can be purchase as a DIY kit or as a complete built from either fujia avic (which has the special wooden finish) or from the makers own site.

So who is this amp for:
  1. If your favourite IEM is ER4S this amp is for you
  2. If you like Quickstep and you dislike its lack of charging circut this amp is for you. I find this amp to have better bass and mid-range and to be less analytical than quickstep. Its background is much more quiet than quickstep and its gain is just a little louder than quickstep lower gain.
  3. If you are an IEM guy this is for you. So far i cannot say whether this amp is good for warm IEM or analytical as so far in the quick impression I had it pairs great with all my IEM.

More impression to follow, I will add my own pictures this sunday.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Just a little update, I experimented with the jumpers inside. There are two jumpers inside that control gain.(found out accidentally!) And when all the two set of jumpers are removed the obvious change to my ears is the low end and sadly as a result the background noise comes into action. 

When the two jumpers are on by default the background is almost silent (please refer to my first post) and the sound comes across as more analytical.

After comparing all the other amp this thing performs great with IEM and in particular with ER4S.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 8
I got hold of one of these a while back but I've been slack writing about it. Currently it is 28,000 yen + 5,000 yen for the case, but if you're brave or crazy enough to do SMD soldering, I think as a kit it can be picked up for a lot less. The board is 2,000 yen for example and the schematics are available online. 

It has something of a smooth presentation and is pleasant with IEMs. Funnily enough, it is really nice with HD-800s! I don't think it would have enough grunt for planars though. I'll try it at some point however.

Pictures are of the amp internals minus the charging chip (which sits where the jumpers are at the back).

May 14, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 8
An update for this amp, if anyone is curious: I've been using it with the JH Audio Laylas and it has been a nice match. Nothing particular remarkable other than a very slightly more spacious sound, with a touch more bass emaphasis than my Pico Power and other amps.

May 14, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #5 of 8
This amp to me offers an above the average clarity and very good treble extension. My only issue is that it is not a wide sounding IEM as it that it tend to reduce the soundstage of a certain of my IEM (Kaede II, IE800, UM50Pro) compared to what I how I hear it via my O2. Still the trade off is minor compared to the amazing battery life and its size.

I have seen someone pair it with chord hugo, while I haven't done so I am looking forward to doing it this weekend in a prolong hour.

I think this amp deserve more attention, it is sadly one of those amp that will never get enough attention in the busy Japanese head-fi market and no one outside of Japan is going to be interested in carrying it as it is simply not famous enough. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 8
I am pairing this with my LPG and I am having a very positive result. Improvement on layering and bass texture is the most noticeable. 

I wonder if I change those caps will the sound change?

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 8
  I wonder if I change those caps will the sound change?

Yes, slightly I think. When I met -- I forgot his name! -- at one of the shows, he had one with IIRC discontinued Blackgate caps which sounded really nice, not that I compared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back