Sound cards obsolete?
Jan 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

BlackLabel

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, someone who works in the computer industry made a crazy claim to me the other day and was wondering you guys' take on it.

He claims that with motherboards in general and especially newer boards that sound cards are a waste of resources because the PCI slot on the mobo cannot provide the adequate amount of bandwidth to utilize the card. This guy is a big proponent of USB headphones and headsets.

Is this true? Are sound cards just a waste? I have an Auzentech X-Fi with some Sennheisers and I think it sounds way better than any kind of onboard audio.

Can I get you guys to weigh in? I know you're the experts on this. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 16
I am not an expert on computer interfaces, but PCI has 1.06 gbps bandwidth versus USB 2.0's 480mbps which is about half as fast as PCI interfact. USB 3.0 will probably be a different story, though.

It is true that USB sound interfaces should provide a sufficient bandwidth for sound but saying that PCI is obsolete is false from what I have learned.

Plus, a lot of DAC/amps don't support USB input and need a digital signal from your sound card to work. I do believe that, in terms of the highest quality audio, sound cards might be on their way out simply because external DACs and amps are usually better quality than sound cards that you can buy. However, I don't see sound cards ever being phased out because the majority of computer users do not care about quality, only functionality, and an external DAC/amp isn't usually as functional for people that don't care about quality.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 16
The PCI and PCI-E slots have more then enough bandwidth for audio cards. If these slots do not have enough bandwidth to use the card why do we have PCI/PCI-E soundcards?
Current onboard soundchips cannot compete with modern audio cards no more then onboard graphics can compete with add-in cards. USB headsets, usually have some garbage internal soundchips that sound awful in comparison to a soundcard.
You will find people that have poor quality audio will make many excuses for it or to justify their choices.
add-in Soundcards will always be around...in fact there has been a surge in the soundcard market considering the new players and products. These companies are moving away from the gamer card mentality and more into sound quality.
As for external VS internal, depends on the device. External aren't always better just for the fact they are external.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackeShan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That someone should stop work in the computer industry.

lol. x2

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3

your friend is a moron.

x4 yeah definately a moron.
14.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back