Soon to be... LTA R2R DAC
Apr 24, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #33 of 141
Note that this is a pre-production prototype, so it will look quite different when it's released. We had the same DAC with a different build (more compact) at the headphone area at Axpona, for example.

I like big - don't make it too small :)

May 2, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #34 of 141
Which other notable DACs have used the AD1865?
While note notable i bought a Chinese NOS DAC made by ZeroZone that uses two AD1865 converters. It was a $150 and I bought it just out of curiosity. I was fimpressed by the heft, fit, and finish of the DAC when I unpacked it and then really impressed with how this DAC performs. Well worth the $150.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #36 of 141
I see this is being unveiled at Capital Audio Fest!

https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/caf2023
I was able to listen to the DAC prototype last month at LTA paired with a Z10e and Zu Soul speakers before attending a conference in DC. I thought it had an excellent 3D presentation and imaging with a very dynamic presentation. Also listened with Dan Clark Corina electrostatic headphones and thought it was a nicely detailed and balanced presentation which I like. The Zu Souls were very entertaining but had a little hot treble on one track which was not present listening with the headphones. I listened to Chick Corea Trio (Brian Blade's drumming sizzles), Steely Dan, Dave Matthews, and Sophie Milman and feel that the combo matched my tastes very well. Right now, I am using a Chord Qutest with my Z10e and am looking to get the LTA DAC and use this system for headphones and a couple of Omega V8 high output speakers as my primary system. On a side note, if you get a chance to visit LTA, I highly recommend it. Awesome team of passionate professionals getting it done in the USA.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #37 of 141
Planning to upgrade my DAC next year and tentatively decided on
the Denafrips Venus (or alternatively the Weiss 204 until the price change and other).

I own the LTA preamplifier and am extremely pleased.

Rather Embarrassingly just learned about the new LTA DAC introduction with the Can-Jam invite.

Would be very appreciative of attendee’s
Assessment as to all aspects of this new unit and thanks!

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #38 of 141
Planning to upgrade my DAC next year and tentatively decided on
the Denafrips Venus (or alternatively the Weiss 204 until the price change and other).

I own the LTA preamplifier and am extremely pleased.

Rather Embarrassingly just learned about the new LTA DAC introduction with the Can-Jam invite.

Would be very appreciative of attendee’s
Assessment as to all aspects of this new unit and thanks!
Gramophone Dreams #66.

As you are looking for Venus, I am sure you will be happy from DI-20HE with R-8HE. DAC alone means very little. When the excitement goes down, you can add 10MHz external clock. With Venus is not possible. Saving on power conditioners as well.

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #39 of 141
Presently using a tube DAC and just heard about LTA's Aero. Very curious to see how the production model is received.

Nov 11, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #40 of 141

It looks like it's going to retail for $3600 and become available in January.

Nov 11, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #41 of 141
The LTA Aero DAC is available for pre-order with an expected arrival date of January 2024. I auditioned the final production version at CAF 2023 yesterday. The audio chain for my audition was Aero DAC, Z10e energizer and the STAX SR-X9000. Interconnect Analysis Plus silver balanced cable. Sound from the LTA and Stax combination was smooth, liquid midrange with excellent transparency that peels every veil away from the original recording. Revealing yet non-fatiguing. It was well worth the wait and LTA has done exhaustive listening to make another world-class headphone product. More information is here on the LTA website. We will be at CAF until late Sunday afternoon. Please stop by for an extended listening session. This is surely a contender for a seat at the throne of world’s best. https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/aero-dac-digital-analog-converter

Nov 11, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #42 of 141
It only has 3 digital inputs (USB-B, RCA coaxial, TOSLink optical). :confused:

Why would they only put 3 inputs on a $3600, full-sized DAC?! And optical is garbage, so it's really only 2. :confounded:

That's gonna be a dealbreaker for me.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #43 of 141
It only has 3 digital inputs (USB-B, RCA coaxial, TOSLink optical). :confused:

Why would they only put 3 inputs on a $3600, full-sized DAC?! And optical is garbage, so it's really only 2. :confounded:

That's gonna be a dealbreaker for me.
It should have AES in really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back