Soon to be... LTA R2R DAC
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 141
It has to be said that the AD1865 chip of the Audionote devices samples a maximum of 18 bit at 96 kHz.
I read this in the Ank Kit 2.1 Signature, for example.
According to a report, 16/96 is better than 24/96.
I can't say exactly how the other manufacturers do it.
Whether they face the same problem or not.

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #17 of 141
It's not like things can't change... It's not like my conversation will hold..... When I spoke with them it wasn't in depth. They are hoping Q1 of 23... But I have seen with a few thing that with the new normal of supy chain issues who knows how far that will slip.

They also said they are looking at a $3k price. At that price point, it has to have real performance compared to other established competitors. A couple have Pontus. They use Holo, they sell MDHT. They know what chi-fi is producing these days and how competitive it is.

Just my guess is as with most companies today and LTA as well... They can introduce a model, then later release a "plus" model, and continue to up sell upgrades. That means this offering has to be pretty special out of the gate to compete in a crowded market... And keep up the LTA tradition of an exceptional musical sound.

But as they told me... Much is yet... "To be determined". We'll see... The wait is on. With their reputation, and the reputation of the AD1865... It's going to be interesting.
I just wanted to start a new thread all it's own and not buried in the MZ3 thread. This was first posted there. LTA showed a protype at a recent audio show. I spoke with them recently and they are hopeful for Q1 23. We'll see. Anything voiced to go well with their gear I am most certainly interested.I don't know much about the AD1865 chip from AN, but very interested now.

Posted from others:
I hope they stick to their low four figure price range quoted in the the MZ3 forum. Tough part for me is that I live in Hawaii so it's going to be difficult to demo when it is released. Hoping I can get a business trip to overlap with a Canjam or other meet as happened in 2022. I do have faith in their engineering chops and their "Director of Sonic Quality" so I may take the leap based on my experience with the MZ3 and Zotl40. Fingers crossed for 2023!

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #18 of 141
Ya, I would want to demo myself. Hard to keep chasing DACs but this has me interested. I know they will use quality parts, and they know how to make stuff sound good. As far as bits for that chip... Just don't care. So over ultra bits. So hard to find anything over 192hz. 96 is fine. And I buying a R2R... Why in the world would I want to up sample? Gets silly after a point.

Unfortunately with a boutique brand it will be difficult to get a lot of info when it comes out.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #19 of 141
Ya, I would want to demo myself. Hard to keep chasing DACs but this has me interested. I know they will use quality parts, and they know how to make stuff sound good. As far as bits for that chip... Just don't care. So over ultra bits. So hard to find anything over 192hz. 96 is fine. And I buying a R2R... Why in the world would I want to up sample? Gets silly after a point.

Unfortunately with a boutique brand it will be difficult to get a lot of I go when it comes out.

I've just sold my Pontus II 12th Anniversary Edition and am currently without a DAC for my headphone system. Trying what to do next. Yggdrasil+ LiM, and Holo May are on the shortlist. This DAC does interest me - looking forward to more information from Nicholas.

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #20 of 141
I've just sold my Pontus II 12th Anniversary Edition and am currently without a DAC for my headphone system. Trying what to do next. Yggdrasil+ LiM, and Holo May are on the shortlist. This DAC does interest me - looking forward to more information from Nicholas.
Playing in the same price range, I'm not sure you are going to find better. I think with what I have, stepping up to Spring or Venus would be justified, just don't see that happening any time soon. That gets me looking at what LTA offers. I would be down for used terminator, but those still have high resale. Just don't know it's worth it. Yes ultra resolution and substance get better, it just doesn't make the music more enjoyable. At least not twice as much for twice the money. I think I'm kinda done chasing gear. I really do like LTA... So they are screwing up that plan with this announcement. 😊

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 141
Playing in the same price range, I'm not sure you are going to find better. I think with what I have, stepping up to Spring or Venus would be justified, just don't see that happening any time soon. That gets me looking at what LTA offers. I would be down for used terminator, but those still have high resale. Just don't know it's worth it. Yes ultra resolution and substance get better, it just doesn't make the music more enjoyable. At least not twice as much for twice the money. I think I'm kinda done chasing gear. I really do like LTA... So they are screwing up that plan with this announcement. 😊
The Pontus was a disappointment to me TBH, which is why it's gone. Perhaps Nicholas is keeping half an eye on this thread and can give us an update? Timeline would be super useful to help decide if I grab an interim DAC or not... @jtnt

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #22 of 141
It's a dissapointment to me and others who I know personally. I recently reacquired the Ares2 and it now has a brushed metal face. Wanted to try another R2R transistor dac since I liked the way Morpheus sounded but didn't want to get it again.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #23 of 141
I live right around 15 minutes away from Takoma Park, MD. Hopefully, I can listen to one of these soon because I’ve always been interested in LTA’s products.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #24 of 141
The Pontus was a disappointment to me TBH, which is why it's gone. Perhaps Nicholas is keeping half an eye on this thread and can give us an update? Timeline would be super useful to help decide if I grab an interim DAC or not... @jtnt
Definitely going to be Q2 at the earliest at this point. Sorry I can't be more specific. Too much is up in the air right now, and we're a tiny company, so roadblocks and shifting priorities can affect things unexpectedly.

I also can't answer any questions about the design or features - see above about things being up in the air. That said, feel free to share your feature requests here - inputs, outputs, features, functionality, etc. No guarantees, but it's useful in helping us design a useful product.

Thanks for your interest, input, and patience!

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #25 of 141
Definitely going to be Q2 at the earliest at this point. Sorry I can't be more specific. Too much is up in the air right now, and we're a tiny company, so roadblocks and shifting priorities can affect things unexpectedly.

I also can't answer any questions about the design or features - see above about things being up in the air. That said, feel free to share your feature requests here - inputs, outputs, features, functionality, etc. No guarantees, but it's useful in helping us design a useful product.

Thanks for your interest, input, and patience!
Definitely maintain the design aesthetic of the Fern and Roby casework...understated and classy. Would be great if you could integrate bluetooth and some sort of equalizer module. I am currently using a RME DAC and I find the equalizer very handy. Also not a fan of separate power supply boxes so if it could be integrated into one clean unit that would be appreciated. As far as outputs, make it future proof with RCA, XLR, pentacon, etc.

Mar 27, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #26 of 141
Definitely maintain the design aesthetic of the Fern and Roby casework...understated and classy. Would be great if you could integrate bluetooth and some sort of equalizer module. I am currently using a RME DAC and I find the equalizer very handy. Also not a fan of separate power supply boxes so if it could be integrated into one clean unit that would be appreciated. As far as outputs, make it future proof with RCA, XLR, pentacon, etc.
You do realise they aren't just making it for you right? 🤣

Apr 15, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #28 of 141
Screenshot_20230415_141823_Instagram.jpg

At Axpona. Looking big 😊

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #30 of 141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back