Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #3,121 of 9,173

I only found a cover of the tool song that I quite liked a lot although only an instrumental. . You should check it out

Look above you? 
tongue.gif

Or actually, I'll post it again since you missed it.

It's not so bad-ish... but the CD version is still cleaner by a significant margin. Ah well...

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #3,122 of 9,173
Lol I know. . I wantedto hear the song on spotify premium and they didn't have it so I listened to this cover that is simply amazing.

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,123 of 9,173
I read the following at the Chicago meet thread:

Is anyone else experiencing the same soundstage issues with the Z7?

I found the soundstage of the Z7 to be one of the best I've heard, mostly in front as it should be, unlike most headphones that are side only.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3,124 of 9,173
I actually like the Cello version better LOL.

of for some thing completely different...

Here is some good vocal jazz

Or speaking of 2 Cellos...

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3,126 of 9,173
Lol I know. . I wantedto hear the song on spotify premium and they didn't have it so I listened to this cover that is simply amazing.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

Yeah, that's too bad. The original is very very very good.

Possibly the best metal recording I have heard in a while. Absolutely no flaw whatsoever. No clipping, very nice soundstaging, and very good details.

Also a good contender for eargasm.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #3,128 of 9,173

Here is some good vocal jazz

Yep. That's good indeed. Thanks!

And the first track does sound like it has the potential to be sibilant, but... it's not sibilant. It's just a bit splashy, like she's standing too close to an unfiltered mic.

Definitely more "in-my-face", but I quite enjoyed it.

As for 2 Cellos, I think I'm hearing where the mic clips with all of the crazy stuffs going on. Those guys desperately need better mics to record their performances, which I think has the potential to be something greater than it is on those videos.

It's the same with Piano Guys. They perform very well, but some of their mixes are just all over the place with regards to volume balancing and soundstaging, whereas it could be something much more.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #3,129 of 9,173
Not hearing that kind of sound stage.

But I am hearing a night and day difference from my
Sound Blaster Digital Music Premium HD - http://au.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-digital-music-premium-hd-r2
and my SONY PHA-1, almost as if these were tuned with the PHA sound in mind. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,130 of 9,173
  I read the following at the Chicago meet thread:

Is anyone else experiencing the same soundstage issues with the Z7?

I'm curious what the source and amp were to leave that impression.  Soundstage is quite outstanding...

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #3,131 of 9,173
With regards to Piano Guys, here's one of their tracks with volume balancing and soundstaging issues:

Vocal is audibly recessed in this song. Instruments easily overpower any vocal that there is. But then at 3:20, vocal is suddenly boosted to the forefront.

Youtube's compression doesn't help much, either, but the actual track that is up for purchase isn't much different. It's slightly cleaner, but not necessarily better.

I mean, I understand that piano and cello are the stars of the show here, but I'm not agreeing with the mastering here.

In fact, the artist (Alex Boye) also had the song in one of his albums, and... guess what? Not just volume but also frequency balancing is obviously different in that version. Alex Boye's version actually sounds... not half bad on a Beats headphone, but it's horrible everywhere else, whereas Piano Guys' version sounds like only something like the HD800 coupled with amp with the brightest, thinnest, and most artificially boosted soundstage can possibly sound good with it.

Tis' a shame, because some of their other performances are excellent. I couldn't hear anything wrong with those, but then some (especially the collaboration) are just bad. I'd almost have to question if any time they do a collaboration, they just defer to the artist that they happened to be collaborating with.

Edit: what does this have to do with the Z7? I figured... some recordings are just inherently like this, so if you're having soundstaging issues, it may not be the headphone.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #3,132 of 9,173
Ok I must be weird or something because I really like the Song and while it was ok on my DJE1500 it simply kicked butt on the Z7.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #3,133 of 9,173
Oh no, you're not weird.

I like it as well. That's why I'm so bummed out that the recording is so all over the map like that.

And in retrospect, I guess I feel that way because the quality of some of their other recordings is simply outstanding. Try this:

I think they're best when it's just cello and/or piano.

The coherence of the soundstage and instrument placement in this song is so much better, even taking into account Youtube compression, that the last song doesn't compare at all.

But maybe it's just my opinion.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #3,134 of 9,173
Ok the 2nd song really kicks butt LOL so I see what your meaning.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #3,135 of 9,173
I had similar results with joni Mitchells song Carey. The mids were not a solid imaging envelope. When she broke into her upper mids the vocals would noticeably jump forward in the sound stage, not just in amplitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back