Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 10, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #3,091 of 9,173
Here are my quick impressions. The guys at the Sony Store had not even heard them. They had just got them in and I got to hear it right out of the box.

Which means the sound could possibly change drastically if burn in is real thing with these headphones.

They are very premium feeling and nicely solid.

Immediately upon listening to some DSD material via Sony DAC I can tell you these do not have a studio monitor response. These are not flat response, and they have a very present mid bass range than can conflict.

Actually, there tuning somewhat reminded me of my Denon AH-D600s so some of you can run far away right now. I actually quite love the D600 but it is not a reference can and I would say either is the Z7.

It is clearly designed for modern music production and the enhanced bass will please many.

You can use EQ to reduce the bass on more acoustic, jazz and classical material. And it is certainly easier to take away bass than it is to add it.

Technicalities are very good, and listening to some Coltrane was evocative to say the least.

Attaching my Sony MDR-7550 to the same amp and the same tracks was what I expected. 7550 still has an immense spacious soundstage, less than the z7, and the response and frequencies were flatter and more preferable.

At $700 Canadian. Not for me. My d600 fills this space easily. In fact the d600 may actually hit harder and a bit lower. D600 comfort is on par if not a smidge above. If price is an issue if actually recommend the D600 if you want a fun can. Also, I can push an Hd25 from my iPhone 6, but it cannot drive the z7. Maybe okay for certain tracks, but the z7 is pretty thirsty.

I tempered my enthusiasm for these headphones and they are very very good. the MDR-10 and MDR-1 were puny sounding next to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, good to see you here. I agree with you that no need to switch from D600 to Z7, considering the current MSRP here in Canada, save this money for a flatter can. 

Actually I was comparing Z7, Alpha Dog and TH600, and when I saw the price $460 CAD of a pair of Z7, no brainer. Just received my pair last week and here we got same idea again, Sony Z7 is definitely a typical mid bass heavy closed can (in a good way), it really reminds me what D600 and D7100 sound, different sound signature but same idea of tuning, maybe?

I was very surprised how a pair of Sony headphones sounds similar to those new Denon's. To me, not bad, you know I am a huge Denon fan.

Z7 may be a direct competitor of Alpha Dog ($599 USD), W1000X (paid $479 USD for this old version, heard the newer version W1000Z is flatter than Z7), D600 ($399 CAD, man I love it), TH600, Shure 1540 ($550 CAD), OPPO PM-1 (heard many saying that it is way better than Z7, maybe?)

But again at $460 CAD I really can't complain more. Considering these cans listed above, a reasonable price of Z7 should be around $450-600 CAD. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #3,092 of 9,173
I was very surprised how a pair of Sony headphones sounds similar to those new Denon's. To me, not bad, you know I am a huge Denon fan.

Czcsfb, great to hear you have the Z7 and hope you are enjoying them. Would be good to get a detailed impression of the Z7s from you with some comparisons to other cans you have.

Btw - hugely enjoying those 7550s, listening to ambient music on them at the moment. :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #3,093 of 9,173
Czcsfb, great to hear you have the Z7 and hope you are enjoying them. Would be good to get a detailed impression of the Z7s from you with some comparisons to other cans you have.

Btw - hugely enjoying those 7550s, listening to ambient music on them at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will see how far I can go, planning to get a flatter can as the last pair for this year. 

Always feel very happy to see those 7550s make you happy! Good night!

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #3,095 of 9,173
I've tried some flat headphones then I thought to myself I am never going to master an album so I should have a little fun and sparkle.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that one day, the fate of the world will depend on my as-yet-undiscovered mastering skills. As a result, I will be building up a collection of totally flat headphones.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #3,096 of 9,173

Btw - hugely enjoying those 7550s, listening to ambient music on them at the moment. :)

I agree with you that the D600s are more comfortable (given my ears sweat with the Z7 but not the d600) and about the d600 bass being tighter and lower.

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #3,097 of 9,173
I'd love to know the reason behind the 1/4" jack. Why the hell isn't it a screw on? I have 2 screw on ones already that don't fit!!!! GRR!!!!

Happy to report the earpads still stink like new 5days later. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #3,098 of 9,173

Wow, good to see you here. I agree with you that no need to switch from D600 to Z7, considering the current MSRP here in Canada, save this money for a flatter can. 

Actually I was comparing Z7, Alpha Dog and TH600, and when I saw the price $460 CAD of a pair of Z7, no brainer. Just received my pair last week and here we got same idea again, Sony Z7 is definitely a typical mid bass heavy closed can (in a good way), it really reminds me what D600 and D7100 sound, different sound signature but same idea of tuning, maybe?

Z7 may be a direct competitor of Alpha Dog ($599 USD), W1000X (paid $479 USD for this old version, heard the newer version W1000Z is flatter than Z7), D600 ($399 CAD, man I love it), TH600, Shure 1540 ($550 CAD), OPPO PM-1 (heard many saying that it is way better than Z7, maybe?)

But again at $460 CAD I really can't complain more. Considering these cans listed above, a reasonable price of Z7 should be around $450-600 CAD. 

You really got them at a steal. If I could get them at $406 USD I would do it in a heartbeat. Figuring they go for retail at upwards of $700 that is an unbeatable price for what they pitch.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #3,099 of 9,173

Where did you find them at $460?

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #3,101 of 9,173
I would be interested in knowing where you got such a great deal as well...

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,102 of 9,173

Two ways:
- The A15 can line out the 24/192 audio signal for amping.
- A special cable can be bought to get digital out like using it as a storage device.

I go the line out route in the picture with CD quality flacs or use the amp stand alone on PC.

The best part about my pic is that this is all new-age SONY, nothing retro. Everything is currently offered by SONY which is a back to form like position for them. Kazuo Hirai their new CEO is doing wonders. 

Nice. I am thinking about combining it with my PHA-2.

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #3,104 of 9,173
  Lolz. It's 6.99 on iTunes and I use to for checking out the bass on things. That and my Portishead albums.

Bass test (also bass control test):

If the headphone gives you nice ear massage instead of breaking apart after 60 seconds, then it's got good bass and bass control.

Careful with your volume knob. You may just shake something loose in there. 
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #3,105 of 9,173
Bass test (also bass control test):

If the headphone gives you nice ear massage instead of breaking apart after 60 seconds, then it's got good bass and bass control.

Careful with your volume knob. You may just shake something loose in there. :p
try the JVC SZ2000! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back