Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jun 16, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #1,906 of 5,810
  Z5 + new Astell&Kern AJ JR are magical together....  Forget lugging around a DAP + DAC/amp.  

Nice set up but wen you can try it with an amp just to compare. I understand walking the with audio equipment in the Summer heat catching buses, taxis and trains getting sweaty and loaded with stuff but if you can attach any size amp and hear how it sounds.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #1,914 of 5,810
  Hey all, 

I am fairly new to this wonderful hobby having purchased the venerable UE TF10 18 months or so ago.  I have since picked up some Shure SE535's and just recently went crazy and bought the Sony PHA 3.  Let me start by saying I am not a big fan of the SE535 straight from my iphone 6.  It's very slow, rolled off and muddy.  I was a bit disappointed with the sound from the PHA 3 via the single ended output.  It was better, but IMHO not great.  After reading much about the advantages of the PHA 3 in balanced mode I looked around and ordered a pair of balanced Tinsel cables from ALO AUDIO.  HOLY CRAP!!!  Other than not much going on below 30hz and a bit of top end extension the SE535 are now incredible.  

Before I got the cable the Z5 has been in and out of my Amazon shopping cart a few times!  Question I have is has anybody heard both IEM's from a balanced source.  I am not sure the upgrade would be THAT much better.  If it is I MUST HAVE THEM!

Oh man...just saw your avatar and 2112 is one of my all time favorite Rush albums
smily_headphones1.gif

I also had the SE535 for a few months and thought they weren't that great. To my ears they sounded too harsh and after some time I just had to sell them => I was very disappointed and I even prefered the cheaper SE215 over them. Have never heard them balanced though...

Now, imo the Z5 is a completely different story. Balanced out of my Pono player they sound great and single ended from my DX90/Hugo stack they're my favorite iems at the moment. I even prefer them over my V6 Stage and 1plus2 which are known as very good iems themselfs...

You really should try hem!

Selling my Z5 with literally an hour of use on them for $450 if anyone wants.

What? You don't even like them balanced from your Pono?
I would buy them instantly from you if I didn't already had them
biggrin.gif

Well, glws!

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #1,916 of 5,810
I've ordered the Z5, turned out to be one very expensive purchase, hopefully I won't regret it lol.

Purchased from bhphotovideo with a 3 year Squaretrade accidental warranty, such a shame no one in the UK stocks this :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back