Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jun 7, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #1,846 of 5,805
To my Canadian people! NCIX Canada currently has the Z5 on sale for $499.99 CAD.. The sale ends tonight I believe.. I just ordered mine, can't wait to try these out :)

Thats an insane deal!

Jun 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,847 of 5,805
Great price for Canadians especially considering the difference in the dollar right now.

Jun 7, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #1,848 of 5,805
Anyone from the US that have a Canadian buddy. The price converted to US dollars works out $400.61. Might be worth ordering through a friend :).

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,852 of 5,805
I just picked up a Pono and the Z5 and it are a match made in heaven. Took an excellent IEM and upped it a notch or two. The level of clarity and transparency is now right through the roof. My only issue with the Z5 was dynamics at low volumes and that issue is completely resolved with the Pono. Vocals now carry that special extra level of emotion.

Posted this in the Pono thread.

Had a "moment" today. Listening to Rudy by Supertramp and near the end of the song I hear voices and think they are people talking near me from behind. I look around and see I am alone and then realize it is in the song...

I have listened to that song many times and never heard those particular voices near the end or if I did the sense realism was never that strong. Using my Z5 when it happened. The last time I had that type of sensation was the bee buzzing in High Hopes by Pink Floyd with the old Sennheiser IE8.

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #1,853 of 5,805

Great to hear. Ill get my PONO late June as my brother is over from USA and will bring over. I understand what you mean about dynamics at lower volumes with the z5. glad to hear the pono fixes that. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,854 of 5,805
I just picked up a Pono and the Z5 and it are a match made in heaven. Took an excellent IEM and upped it a notch or two. The level of clarity and transparency is now right through the roof. My only issue with the Z5 was dynamics at low volumes and that issue is completely resolved with the Pono. Vocals now carry that special extra level of emotion.

Posted this in the Pono thread.
Had a "moment" today. Listening to Rudy by Supertramp and near the end of the song I hear voices and think they are people talking near me from behind. I look around and see I am alone and then realize it is in the song...

I have listened to that song many times and never heard those particular voices near the end or if I did the sense realism was never that strong. Using my Z5 when it happened. The last time I had that type of sensation was the bee buzzing in High Hopes by Pink Floyd with the old Sennheiser IE8.

I totally agree on that! Z5 balanced from Pono is hard to beat...
High Hopes is also one of my favorite PF songs...beautiful melancholic song with those impressive bells at the beginning
L3000.gif

For members who have a DX90 or a Chord Hugo I can also recommend it. On both I even prefer the Z5 (single ended of course) over my V6 Stage and 1plus2, which are both pretty good iems on their own...

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,855 of 5,805
I know this has probably been asked multiple times before, but would anyone here recommend the Z5's over the A3, the price difference is £190.

I'm going to send me A3's back to Accessoryjack for replacement/refund if possible, the cable on the earpiece is starting to come away.

For those who have tried both earphones what would the real advantages be upgrading to the Z5?

I have been using the Digizoid ZOFS with my A3's and have been really impressed with the sound.

Also has anyone tried the "
Sony MUC-M12SM1" ?​

Cheers

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,856 of 5,805
  I know this has probably been asked multiple times before, but would anyone here recommend the Z5's over the A3, the price difference is £190.

I'm going to send me A3's back to Accessoryjack for replacement/refund if possible, the cable on the earpiece is starting to come away.

For those who have tried both earphones what would the real advantages be upgrading to the Z5?

I have been using the Digizoid ZOFS with my A3's and have been really impressed with the sound.

Sony MUC-M12SM1" ?​

Cheers

I cannot comment but as i tell ou Oppo ha-2 with XBA-H3 is really impressing too

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,857 of 5,805

Sony MUC-M12SM1" ?​

Cheers

I have the Z5 and the
MUC-M12SM1​
cable. The cable is worth it for some improved clarity and extra width in the soundstage, as well as the ergonomics are much better than the stock cable with the memory foam. However, the flanges on the mmcx connections are just slightly to0 small so there's movement in the housing. It doesn't affect the mmcx connection or the sound and so far I haven't had any real issues with it but I'm still planning on calling sony to see about getting a replacement. Looking at other reviews it seems like a common, if not consistent issue with the cable.

As far as Z5 vs A3. I don't have the A3 but there's some comparisons in this thread and the bass head iem thread. Just search around. I guess short answer is A3 is V shaped while Z5 is \____ shaped. And Z5 should beat out A3 on clarity and soundstage some. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,858 of 5,805
  I have the Z5 and the
MUC-M12SM1​
cable. The cable is worth it for some improved clarity and extra width in the soundstage, as well as the ergonomics are much better than the stock cable with the memory foam. However, the flanges on the mmcx connections are just slightly to0 small so there's movement in the housing. It doesn't affect the mmcx connection or the sound and so far I haven't had any real issues with it but I'm still planning on calling sony to see about getting a replacement. Looking at other reviews it seems like a common, if not consistent issue with the cable.

As far as Z5 vs A3. I don't have the A3 but there's some comparisons in this thread and the bass head iem thread. Just search around. I guess short answer is A3 is V shaped while Z5 is \____ shaped. And Z5 should beat out A3 on clarity and soundstage some. 

I have auditioned both the Z5 and A3 and ended up with the A3 because of my budget, in terms of clarity i would say that they are on par, the A3 is v-shaped but not too much like the H3 so it doesn't sound muddy at all i would say its a neutral v-shaped while the Z5 has tighter bass and more "3D" or open soundstage and more controlled highs compared to the A3, i would say the sound signature of the Z5 is unique in a way. Because of the 700$ price tag for the Z5 compared to the 300$ price tag for the A3 in my country i bought the A3 because its a much better value. Though i'm quite interested in the upgrade cable though since i never bought an upgrade cable before i wonder how much sound quality will improve from it. 
etysmile.gif

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,860 of 5,805
  I have auditioned both the Z5 and A3 and ended up with the A3 because of my budget, in terms of clarity i would say that they are on par, the A3 is v-shaped but not too much like the H3 so it doesn't sound muddy at all i would say its a neutral v-shaped while the Z5 has tighter bass and more "3D" or open soundstage and more controlled highs compared to the A3, i would say the sound signature of the Z5 is unique in a way. Because of the 700$ price tag for the Z5 compared to the 300$ price tag for the A3 in my country i bought the A3 because its a much better value. Though i'm quite interested in the upgrade cable though since i never bought an upgrade cable before i wonder how much sound quality will improve from it. 
etysmile.gif

In my experience with the Z5 just get a good amp and it will shine in every area. A cable if one picks the right one get a 5 to 7% improvement but a good amp will improve more. For now I wont touch the cable due to my fears of this type of connectors. I had many issues with Shure and Westones when I kept changing cables , like loosing sound every now and then etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back