Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 28, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #6,541 of 9,671
A thoughtful review. I don’t know if you noticed it since you have both the Z7 and Z1R but the latter has two improvements that more or less justify the significant price difference. One is a marked decrease in sound leakage. I tested this quite a bit. At the same volume the Z1R leaks significantly less sound than the Z7. This may or may not be important to some but it does have its advantage. The second, which is perhaps more important, is the construction of the ear cups. The virtual room that they create is leaps and bounds better than the former. You could easily tell the difference between the two even in a blind test.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #6,545 of 9,671
A thoughtful review. I don’t know if you noticed it since you have both the Z7 and Z1R but the latter has two improvements that more or less justify the significant price difference. One is a marked decrease in sound leakage. I tested this quite a bit. At the same volume the Z1R leaks significantly less sound than the Z7. This may or may not be important to some but it does have its advantage. The second, which is perhaps more important, is the construction of the ear cups. The virtual room that they create is leaps and bounds better than the former. You could easily tell the difference between the two even in a blind test.

I totally agree with this. It is a not negligible difference in soundstage between the two. I tried to convince myself that the Z7m2 was all I needed and so I sold the Z1R. Now I have to find one to buy again because I already miss it. Just the space and “size” of the sound is just stellar with the Z1R, being a closed back design.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #6,547 of 9,671
What would you say the ZH1ES does for your headphones? Do you use it with the Z7M2 or the LCD2-C?

I would say it depends on the music and the mood I’m in. I either listen to it directly or use it as a dac and feed the thx789. The biggest difference is in dynamics I would say, the ZH1ES is significantly less punchy than the thx. So with punchy music it serves mostly as only a dac. But what I DO get out of it is this effortless, cozy, big and holographic sound that the thx just can’t do.

I would say that it kind of builds on the positives of the Z1R, it’s the Z1R in dac/amp form!

+ build quality (like a tank), versatility and stunning looks 🤩.

Love it!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #6,548 of 9,671
I would say it depends on the music and the mood I’m in. I either listen to it directly or use it as a dac and feed the thx789. The biggest difference is in dynamics I would say, the ZH1ES is significantly less punchy than the thx. So with punchy music it serves mostly as only a dac. But what I DO get out of it is this effortless, cozy, big and holographic sound that the thx just can’t do.

I would say that it kind of builds on the positives of the Z1R, it’s the Z1R in dac/amp form!

+ build quality (like a tank), versatility and stunning looks 🤩.

Love it!

How do you connect the Node 2 to the Sony TA? Some reviews that I’ve read seemed to suggest that it sounds much better through USB rather than RCA inputs. After some AB testing, I think those reviews are spot on. I’m thinking about switching from Naim Uniti Atom to one of the Innuos servers to sidestep the conversion that this way of connecting involves.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #6,549 of 9,671
Jan 28, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #6,550 of 9,671
I liked very much your review, because I have a Sony Z7 (also Senn HD 800 and Denon AH-D9200) and I want to upgrade to Z1R. You made a different point of view from other reviews and make me think about. Thanks a lot.
You're welcome!

I sold my Z7 for $370 on eBay in order to defray some of the cost of the Z1R. I was worried that I would miss the Z7, but really the Z1R is just like an improved version of the same sound signature and build - so I don't miss it at all. The Sony "house sound" is evident on all of their consumer headphones, even their top of the line headphones. The most different in my collection are the MDR-7506, but even there it's a similar overall sound.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #6,551 of 9,671
How do you connect the Node 2 to the Sony TA? Some reviews that I’ve read seemed to suggest that it sounds much better through USB rather than RCA inputs. After some AB testing, I think those reviews are spot on. I’m thinking about switching from Naim Uniti Atom to one of the Innuos servers to sidestep the conversion that this way of connecting involves.

Really? I hook it up via coax. I will have to do some A/B between it and my PC via USB then. Will be interesting!

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #6,552 of 9,671
I think the difference is Analog and Digital as the TA always digitises before amplification.

In my experience all digital inputs sound great.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #6,553 of 9,671
Really? I hook it up via coax. I will have to do some A/B between it and my PC via USB then. Will be interesting!
Try it with Audirvana. Surprisingly, it makes a considerable difference in sound quality compared to whatever else player you can think of. Fortunately, they give a one month trial.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #6,554 of 9,671
You're welcome!

I sold my Z7 for $370 on eBay in order to defray some of the cost of the Z1R. I was worried that I would miss the Z7, but really the Z1R is just like an improved version of the same sound signature and build - so I don't miss it at all. The Sony "house sound" is evident on all of their consumer headphones, even their top of the line headphones. The most different in my collection are the MDR-7506, but even there it's a similar overall sound.
Thanks for your opinion. I have read others (like, for example, @Redcarmoose) saying that the Z7 register, althought is the same Sony "house sound" -and like you said in your review, maybe have 90% of the Z1R signature- , is different from the Z1R register and more adequate to certain music genres. Even some people prefer the Z7.

Mi amigo :wink: @bythebookiii have also tried both of them and I remember that he disliked the Z7 (in his case, the second edition) and he likes a lot the Z1R, which he keep.

Also, @Malevolent made a comparison against the Z7 m2 and the Z1R here.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #6,555 of 9,671
Thanks for your opinion. I have read others (like, for example, @Redcarmoose) saying that the Z7 register, althought is the same Sony "house sound" -and like you said in your review, maybe have 90% of the Z1R signature- , is different from the Z1R register and more adequate to certain music genres. Even some people prefer the Z7.

Mi amigo :wink: @bythebookiii have also tried both of them and I remember that he disliked the Z7 (in his case, the second edition) and he likes a lot the Z1R, which he keep.

Also, @Malevolent made a comparison against the Z7 m2 and the Z1R here.

I think the Z7 is a great headphone that is a lot of fun to listen to. It's a very good all-rounder. I was just concerned with longevity, and difficulty in replacing pads and such. The Z1R solves that and improves the level of detail across the spectrum. But if the Z7 had easily serviceable (and available) pad replacements (by which I mean, pads that contain the plastic ring for easy-on/easy-off use) I probably would have stuck with them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back