Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 22, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #9,421 of 9,707
Does anybody have an DH Prion4 cable? I bought one from classifieds, basically new, with 4.4mm for my WM1ZM2. However, I don't get any sound out of it, no chance.

Even though it has the 3.5mm headphone jack, maybe it does not work well with the MDR-Z1R?
There is issue with DHC cables if there were originally created for something other than Sony 3.5mm that they don't work with the Sony.

I had this issue with a Complement C Peter made for me. It worked great with my 3.5mm to DIN Ultrashort for my LCD-X, but no sound with my MDR-Z1R. When we chatted on Telegram, he said that he has to wire the 3.5mm differently to work on the Sony 3.5mm and any other 3.5mm headphone.

Reach out to him on Telegram to get him to rewire it.

The Prion4 is an excellent fit for the Z1R.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #9,422 of 9,707
I don't think that a big driver causes diatortion. It may be tge amp
In theory, a large dynamic driver will be more susceptible to certain distortions that are the result of modal breakup. In a dynamic driver, the voice coil moves the cone-shaped diaphragm, but the voice coil only applies force to a small part of the diaphragm, so if the diaphragm isn't stiff enough, other parts of that diaphragm won't move in sync with the voice coil, which can cause phase issues and distortion. You can avoid these problems with a stiffer diaphragm, which is why you see some manufacturers using exotic materials like beryllium in their diaphragms as beryllium has very high stiffness vs weight. That should reduce diaphragm flexing and the resulting modes. Planars and electrostatics bypass this issue by distributing the driving force across the whole diaphragm.

Considering that Sony has some of the largest dynamic drivers ever used in a headphone, I'm sure the engineers had to deal with those modes during development and have a solution for it. One could test the driver itself for modes via a Klippel scanner, but those are expensive and no one would have one of those scanners just for review purposes. I have a suspicion that the unusual dip+spike in the midrange around 3 KHz stems from some sort of mode in the driver, which could be why the dip in particular cannot be EQed out. But the Sony engineers would have known about this, so they probably tuned around that mode. Engineering is all about trade-offs, and making the appropriate set of trade-offs to achieve your goal. I like what the Z1R sounds like, regardless of what modes might be lurking in the 70mm driver.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #9,423 of 9,707
he said that he has to wire the 3.5mm differently to work on the Sony 3.5mm and any other 3.5mm headphone.
how can that be?

I mean they sell it that way:
1705996995201.png

So basically, you order the “standard” Eidolic Dual Universal 3.5mm online, done. Once it arrives at home and I have the MDR, I have to get in touch with them? This is confusing. It would have been better when the MDR-Z1R had its dropdown line to choose from.

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #9,424 of 9,707
It is the cable also made for the MDR-Z1R, explicitly stated in the dropdown menu.
In which drop-down menu? If you say you vote it on the classifies from who did you buy it? Did you try it on another device? And like @kefs said did you check the 3.5 mm termination to see if it's a TRS (stwreo) or a TS (mono)?

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #9,425 of 9,707
how can that be?

1705996995201.png

So basically, you order the “standard” Eidolic Dual Universal 3.5mm online, done. Once it arrives at home and I have the MDR, I have to get in touch with them? This is confusing. It would have been better when the MDR-Z1R had its dropdown line to choose from.
Thank God, are you I want lavricables route

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #9,426 of 9,707
And like @kefs said did you check the 3.5 mm termination to see if it's a TRS (stwreo) or a TS (mono)?
I don't know if it is mono and I am unable to check it right now as I have only the WM1ZM2 and MDR-Z1R combo for such a cable.

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #9,427 of 9,707
I don't know if it is mono and I am unable to check it right now as I have only the WM1ZM2 and MDR-Z1R combo for such a cable.
Some cables come with ts plugs (pure mono) others with trs plugs or even trrs plugs (but still only wire 2 of the 3/4 points) so it depends on what the specific headphone expect and how the specific cable is wired

IMG_1199.gif

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #9,428 of 9,707
Some cables come with ts plugs (pure mono) others with trs plugs or even trrs plugs (but still only wire 2 of the 3/4 points) so it depends on what the specific headphone expect and how the specific cable is wired

IMG_1199.gif

got it, but still confusing, if you just buy choose from the dropdown menu on the homepage the cable that matches also the mdr-z1r? notion special, just chosen online the Eidolic Dual Universal.

1706006366215.png

However, I wrote Peter via Telegram. Let's see.

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #9,429 of 9,707
When I got my triple threat adapters, I told on the additional comments box on my order to use my Sony C1R cable on my Utopia, 2020

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #9,430 of 9,707
When I got my triple threat adapters, I told on the additional comments box on my order to use my Sony C1R cable on my Utopia, 2020
Interesting, I get in touch with them and I will keep you updated.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #9,431 of 9,707
got it, but still confusing, if you just buy choose from the dropdown menu on the homepage the cable that matches also the mdr-z1r? notion special, just chosen online the Eidolic Dual Universal.

1706006366215.png

However, I wrote Peter via Telegram. Let's see.
Yes it’s confusing. Sony daps’s used to have a female 3,5 trrs plug to accept headphones wired that way to provide seperate ground or “pseudo balanced” as they called it to get part of the balanced benefit from a single ended source but I don’t know if they still do that on the newer Android based daps

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #9,432 of 9,707
Yes it’s confusing. Sony daps’s used to have a female 3,5 trrs plug to accept headphones wired that way to provide seperate ground or “pseudo balanced” as they called it to get part of the balanced benefit from a single ended source but I don’t know if they still do that on the newer Android based daps

Got an answer from support.
  • there are two ways to configure a 3.5
  • it can be reconfigured
  • the configuration it's in now works with Raal, but not Sony

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #9,433 of 9,707
Looks like the Z1R is back in stock at Audio46, so it seems that it's still in production and shipping out to dealers. I had heard from a different dealer the rumor that a previous shipment last year was going to be the last one, but it seems that's not the case. And CES has come and gone without an announcement of a successor, so the Z1R will probably remain Sony's flagship headphone for at least another year.

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #9,434 of 9,707
Looks like the Z1R is back in stock at Audio46, so it seems that it's still in production and shipping out to dealers. I had heard from a different dealer the rumor that a previous shipment last year was going to be the last one, but it seems that's not the case. And CES has come and gone without an announcement of a successor, so the Z1R will probably remain Sony's flagship headphone for at least another year.
As I recal the Sony audio products are usually announced at IFA in Berlin in the autumn

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #9,435 of 9,707
how can that be?

1705996995201.png

No, you need to make a note in the order that the cable is for the MDR-Z1R and he'll wire it to work.

When I ordered my Complement C I didn't note that it was for a Sony. Peter told me in chat "in the distant past, i used a universal configuration that worked with sony, but that configuration didn't work with newer headphones, so I changed it. Oh. Z1R is the one headphone that doesn't work with this configuration. however, if you configure for Z1R, it makes a variety of other more contemporary headphones not work"

When he fixed my cable it worked with the Z1R and my Ultrashort for the LCD-X.

So I guess if anyone is buying cables from DHC you must enter a note that the cable is for the Z1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back