Sony Xperia Z5 Range - Audio Quality
Oct 22, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #211 of 407
  it still has a screen to body ratio  better than the 4.7" iphone 6/6s
as reported by phonearena it is 70.64% over 65.71%

Phonearena are wrong about that - this number is actually Z3C's ratio (they probably did a cut-and-paste job of the dimentions), while Z5C had dipped below the 70% threshold (which I consider an acceptible minimum these days) to 68.9%, courtesy of gsmarena.  I almost didn't buy it for that reason alone but couldn't find any decent alternatives - it's still is a very unique phone.

The iPhone comparison is kind of moot as most iPhone users wouldn't seriously consider a Sony (or any other phone for that matter), but yes, I've also found iPhone's screen-to-body ratio (among other things) appalling, especially when they are universally considered leaders in industrial design and charge a hefty premium accordingly.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #212 of 407
I just bought the Z5c and compared it to my colleagues' ip6s, and brought a smile to my face knowing also my battery has about 50% more mAh
been paying attention to the SQ too, and its a huge improvement over my old sony Z ultra so im happy

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #213 of 407

I've also happened to have stereo speakers on my last few phones and I agree that they do sound better, especially watching videos, but I can't see myself using them for the purpose of enjoying music.

That's what bluetooth headphones are for, especially with NFC. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I especially love the ergonomics of the SBH80 for this purpose - you can wear them on your neck all day forgetting that they're there, and just pop them in when you need to listen to something or when a call comes in (not to mention their brilliant sound quality for the price).

You think so?  I've found that the bezels and thickness have been gradually reducing over the years.  There are exceptions of course - the Z5 Compact being an especially notable one, as it has a slightly bigger bezel and is also thicker than the Z3. That said it still has no real competition and you can't beat a 2700 mah battery in a phone that size.

1) I agree I don't use hem for music

2) This veers off-topic but I am still looking for a portable Bluetooth IEM that has a cabled option for uncompromised sound quality and no battery drain of the IEM. Just a simple extension cable should work, and if headphones can have a cabled option, why not IEMs? Phiaton and Audio-Technica have some, but they are designed with a neckband which I don't want. I'm looking for something like the Jaybird X2 with a corded option.

3) Last year it seemed battery sizes were increasing in many phones, but since the Z2 Sony keeps decreasing the battery on the regular Z series; Samsung did the same this year. It is nice to see better optimization each year but that still doesn't replace a bigger battery, and Qualcomm ruined the party this year for just about everyone except Samsung.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #214 of 407
I just bought the Z5c and compared it to my colleagues' ip6s, and brought a smile to my face knowing also my battery has about 50% more mAh
been paying attention to the SQ too, and its a huge improvement over my old sony Z ultra so im happy

with my humble experience id like to illustrate the SQ of the Z5c on a scale as this:
my old z ultra -----------------------z5 compact------fiioE18

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #215 of 407
1) I agree I don't use hem for music

2) This veers off-topic but I am still looking for a portable Bluetooth IEM that has a cabled option for uncompromised sound quality and no battery drain of the IEM. Just a simple extension cable should work, and if headphones can have a cabled option, why not IEMs? Phiaton and Audio-Technica have some, but they are designed with a neckband which I don't want. I'm looking for something like the Jaybird X2 with a corded option.

3) Last year it seemed battery sizes were increasing in many phones, but since the Z2 Sony keeps decreasing the battery on the regular Z series; Samsung did the same this year. It is nice to see better optimization each year but that still doesn't replace a bigger battery, and Qualcomm ruined the party this year for just about everyone except Samsung.

Trinity Atlas might suit you, the ks campaign has finished but can be pre ordered. I have some on order as I was really impressed with their last set if releases. Have BT aptx cable avalieble which can be replaced by a standard cable or a mic cable (MMX connection, think they supply 1 short cable and mic, 1 long cable and mic and 1 braded cable, they sell BT cable for about £10), 1BA and 1 dynamic driver and 5 changable sound filters last time I checked.
They should be with us before Christmas. Once they are in stock Bob sells on amazon.com or from his site in the UK, advantage from his site is a discount for headfi members.

Brooko review

Hisoundfi review

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #216 of 407
Alas xperia z5 compact is not heading to India
frown.gif

Though z5 premium is coming in chrome version(looks sexy and tasty)
but they are priced high!
Should wait for a drop.
I think i will buy z3c.
can anyone tell me a good headphone dac and amp (portable) for xperia z3c?

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #217 of 407
Getting mine today, trying with Mojo later , that review by What Hifi is a perfect example of why Mag reviews are to be ignored.

As per their final quote they wrote this review without actually having seen or used a Z5.

"We can't wait to get our hands on it for a full review to see if 4K really can make sense of a 5.5in smartphone."

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #218 of 407
Getting mine today, trying with Mojo later , that review by What Hifi is a perfect example of why Mag reviews are to be ignored.

As per their final quote they wrote this review without actually having seen or used a Z5.

"We can't wait to get our hands on it for a full review to see if 4K really can make sense of a 5.5in smartphone."
That means they're waiting to review the Z5P, which is only launching 1 December, guess they're assuming that the SQ element will be the same across all variants!?

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #219 of 407
They are a joke of a publication

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #220 of 407

I literally was reading that review, scratching my head as I got notified of a reply to this thread! Such a lame review, filled with adjectives and no meaningful data :frowning2:

I'm enjoying mine, but the battery life has not been as promised and I'm still irked daily by the low output power. Sounds great, though.

-Collin-

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #221 of 407
I wonder when / if there will ever be a phone that can approach the [battery] stats produced in a laboratory!?

Kind of bores me, all of these fantasy figures...

Nearest, which is still a long way off from my personal experience is the iPhone 6+ the first time Apple have done something half right.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #223 of 407
I wonder when / if there will ever be a phone that can approach the [battery] stats produced in a laboratory!?

Kind of bores me, all of these fantasy figures...

Nearest, which is still a long way off from my personal experience is the iPhone 6+ the first time Apple have done something half right.

Totally agree. In my opinion, battery stats vary so wildly because it all depends how you use your phone. If I leave it in my pocket all day, I can get three days. If I hammer on it hourly for maps, photos, calls, music and Google search like I have been while on vacation, it's at 10% at the end of the day. I'm thankful that it lasted that long, but two days is a fairytale while on vacation. Maybe they should rate them with screen-on time rather than what they consider general use which is pretty far off!

-Collin-

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #224 of 407
Hi all. I'm new here and I decided that this is the right time to to join, since I follow this forums by a few months (the Xperia Z3 Audio Quality thread - I read it all).

So I have some informations to share about the Z5, comparing it to the Z3: I tested the brand new Sony's terminal right yesterday with my MDR-EX450 and compared it to the Z3 (not compact) I had at my side, with the stock music. Results: it is nearly the same, if not for the slightly louder volume output (a veeeery little variation) and for its frequency response which is different from the Z3 (Highs are more emphasized than in the Z3).

It was a big fortune to have all the Sony's trial terminals near to me, however the results of the tests were as I expected by reading this thread.

Sony Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z5 are nearly the same thing for audio quality and loudness, if not worse for the last version of the Z series.

Still waiting for a worthy device that will replace my current Samung Galaxy Player 3.6" that this November will achieve 3 years and a half of usage.

P.S. A big thanks to Whitigir for all that rewievs and informations I read on Xperia Z3 audio quality thread and LGV10 review too!

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #225 of 407
My 4 hour old Z5 is draining 10% an hour doing nothing.
my Lumia 930 (that I only swapped due to PDF reading issues)
actually had a good battery life, only had to charge overnight and I use
my phone a lot for work. My previous Iphone 5 had a life of about 3hrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back