Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #752 of 3,257
The early indicators made me only want to try the H1 and James early impressions of the H3 make me glad I made that choice.

the H1 is like a slightly tamer XBA3 for bass and not quite as metallic treble plus a larger more immersive soundstage. All which make for a more compelling headphone the the XBA3. Because it is darker I won't say it's better than the MDR-7550 but it is an interesting almost side grade alternative.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #753 of 3,257
The early indicators made me only want to try the H1 and James early impressions of the H3 make me glad I made that choice.

the H1 is like a slightly tamer XBA3 for bass and not quite as metallic treble plus a larger more immersive soundstage. All which make for a more compelling headphone the the XBA3. Because it is darker I won't say it's better than the MDR-7550 but it is an interesting almost side grade alternative.

Thats a great description, the bass is more pronounced on the H1 for me, its like I notice the bass on every song I play!

The soundstage I agree on as well, its so cool and immersive.

By dark, what does that mean? I think the xba sounds a bit more clear to me which is very important to me.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #754 of 3,257
Maybe the H3's only shine with hi-res files since it's capable of that and H1 isn't.  
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #757 of 3,257
Well my new DAC/amp came in from Audioengine and I'm loving all my headphones, but the H1 sound especially nice. Sitting at my desk listening to music collection in FLAC format including a few disks from HDTracks and the new DAC offers a slightly warm option to my old dac/amp combo, the new sound has great synergy with the H1 and the MA900 as well as my Q701. Guess I get to re-enjoy all my music yet again :)

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #758 of 3,257
Thanks dweaver!

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #760 of 3,257
I will say this, if these had more clarity It would be near perfect imo.

Detail, check.

Bass, Check.

Soundstage, check.

Loudness, check.

Seperation, check.

If dark means it lacks a clear sound then I agree, granted its not bad as everything else is great, I just have to get used to this sound signiture which over time I am sure I will.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #762 of 3,257
Gawd this thread is simultaneously want the H series a lot and not at all.

Still no sign of them in Australia ;__;

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #763 of 3,257
  Gawd this thread is simultaneously want the H series a lot and not at all.

Still no sign of them in Australia ;__;

It'll be nice if you get to review them Lachlan.

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #764 of 3,257
A lot of people are slowly getting their H3's now which are the pair I'm interested in (to go in rotation with my JH's).

Waiting for a batch of reviews to come out first before I take the plunge. Initial views from James is a bit worrying.

If these are a 'fail'.... my search will continue :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back