Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #511 of 3,257
I just preordered the XBA-H3 as a replacement for my old SuperFi 5 EB but am not sure about the 40 ohm impedance as far i remember the SuperFi 5 EB was around 11-13ohms. Since the portable gear is a custom made rig working with a mixture of mobile and PMP insides not sure how it would handle 40ohm impedance was just wondering what i should expect??

The audio board is a heavily modified one which originally belonged to a Sony X10i phone so similar limitations would exist in terms of impedance.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #512 of 3,257
I ordered the H3, too. For 224€ so 302$ or 189 GBP. Have a look in the education store of Sony. It should arrive on 29th of october and as I ordered directly at sony I guess you won´t get it anywhere else faster... Im totally excited, I never spent so much money on a earphone :-O

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #513 of 3,257
  I ordered the H3, too. For 224€ so 302$ or 189 GBP. Have a look in the education store of Sony. It should arrive on 29th of october and as I ordered directly at sony I guess you won´t get it anywhere else faster... Im totally excited, I never spent so much money on a earphone :-O

Wow £189 is a very good price. Showing as £239.21 (uk education store) for me..

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #514 of 3,257
I just preordered the XBA-H3 as a replacement for my old SuperFi 5 EB but am not sure about the 40 ohm impedance as far i remember the SuperFi 5 EB was around 11-13ohms. Since the portable gear is a custom made rig working with a mixture of mobile and PMP insides not sure how it would handle 40ohm impedance was just wondering what i should expect??

The audio board is a heavily modified one which originally belonged to a Sony X10i phone so similar limitations would exist in terms of impedance.

shouldn't be a problem. 40 ohm isn't something to be scared of... also, if you spend so much money on an earphone, you might as well get something like a fiio x3 or x5 or iBasso Dx50...

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #515 of 3,257
shouldn't be a problem. 40 ohm isn't something to be scared of... also, if you spend so much money on an earphone, you might as well get something like a fiio x3 or x5 or iBasso Dx50...

I like low profile not to mention it does have a very good hardware build up resulting in a great note that a amp might spoil. I am not very sure what 40ohm will result in maybe lower sound or no difference at all only time will tell.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #516 of 3,257

I like low profile not to mention it does have a very good hardware build up resulting in a great note that a amp might spoil. I am not very sure what 40ohm will result in maybe lower sound or no difference at all only time will tell.

AMP shouldn't spoil it. if anything, it should improve sound. more energy = more control. even if the volume levels stay the same, it will sound different (most probably better)

here's a funny thing: DX50 for example, sends most milliwats at 40ohm resistance. lower resistance phones will get  less power...

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #517 of 3,257

Which country sony store is this? Are you sure you got that price, seems real cheap, help us get on it if it for real! post a link please.

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #519 of 3,257
I have the xba-h1's now and I'm listening to them while I have my lunch. So straight out of the box, no burn in so here goes my thoughts.

Out of the box these are the best cans I've used. I've had Muse, The Louis Lester Band, Andrea Bocelli, some dance, classical tunes and whatever I can throw at them. And this is first 30 mins only.

I love the tone. Mid and treble is excellent. Bass is how I like. Punchy. Personally I wouldn't buy the more expensive version after hearing these. Using them straight out of my iPhone 5S. I also wouldn't bother amping these with the iPhone 5S.

I would describe these as musical too. Quite taken aback to be honest. More later.

Want to know about a particular tune just ask as well.

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #520 of 3,257
I have the xba-h1's now and I'm listening to them while I have my lunch. So straight out of the box, no burn in so here goes my thoughts.

Out of the box these are the best cans I've used. I've had Muse, The Louis Lester Band, Andrea Bocelli, some dance, classical tunes and whatever I can throw at them. And this is first 30 mins only.

I love the tone. Mid and treble is excellent. Bass is how I like. Punchy. Personally I wouldn't buy the more expensive version after hearing these. Using them straight out of my iPhone 5S. I also wouldn't bother amping these with the iPhone 5S.

I would describe these as musical too. Quite taken aback to be honest. More later.

If you can leave some comparison impressions with other iems in the same price range, that you own ofc, would be awesome.

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #521 of 3,257

They are so suspiciously good, it's hard to think what Sony have done in the H2 and H3, because changing anything would make the overall balance worse. I assume the larger dynamic drivers (13.5mm for the H2 and 16.5mm for the H3) will push the bass emphasis lower down, and the extra BA in the H3 is simply to compensate and correct the changes in the rest of the spectrum.

I've been rocking them exclusively for the last four days and they still surprise me. This is what I always imagined technological progress in IEMs would sound like, not the ever increasing number of BAs that, to be honest, sound mostly the same. Hybrids are definitely the future.

Unparallelled price too.

EK

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #522 of 3,257
Missing some Sony in my life and this is looking promising. Looking forward to more impressions that will inevitably hurt my wallet.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #523 of 3,257
Definitely getting the H1. Looks like I'll be having a merry Xmas this December!

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #525 of 3,257
Fit is everything. Tried the medium foam filled tips and the bass vanished. Tried the large foam tips. Better. But the non foam tips give me huge bass. So these stay. Will try comply tips later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back