Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Aug 16, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,151 of 3,257
Actually, I should rephrase that above comment.

There are certain genres / albums I'd be completely happy with H3 which I feel it's better suited than for 1Plus2, though on the opposite side, there are tracks, genres H3 will never do what the Tralucent can for them.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,152 of 3,257
I've done this in the past, it actually works. Another thing I've adjusted too with H3 is the mid-bass quantity, now I sense an absence in other IEM. But there are a certain tracks which remind my H3's limitations still, particularly with 1Plus2, some Taylor Swift - 1989 tracks. Then I consider the price difference between the two.

There's nothing like a crook pair of earbuds to awaken one's ears to the dinki di.
A little EQ can adjust the mid bass hump. Either lop it off or push up the sub bass for something that Beats owners can only wish for..

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #3,153 of 3,257
There's nothing like a crook pair of earbuds to awaken one's ears to the dinki di.
A little EQ can adjust the mid bass hump. Either lop it off or push up the sub bass for something that Beats owners can only wish for..

I actually don't mind the mid-bass, haha, I'm quite flexible on signatures and bass levels providing the warmer mid-range doesn't sound like it's coming from under wet carpet. I'm an Aurisonics ASG-2 fan.

There's a difference between warmth, thickness done correctly and just down right awful veiled sound quality. Imo.

Sony got it right.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #3,155 of 3,257
Still can't put these H3 down, it's that damn Sony house sound.

If you are enjoying it a lot, want to try it balanced? I am waiting for my 4th z5 replacement and so I will be having 5 sets of accessories including tips, cases and the extra balanced cables that come with it. I don't mind mailing you one. Do you have the foam hybrid tips? What size do you use?

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #3,156 of 3,257

If you are enjoying it a lot, want to try it balanced? I am waiting for my 4th z5 replacement and so I will be having 5 sets of accessories including tips, cases and the extra balanced cables that come with it. I don't mind mailing you one. Do you have the foam hybrid tips? What size do you use?

I'll send you a PM. 
smile.gif

I use large Sony hybrids (non-foam filled) But I think some are missng.

Let me check.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #3,157 of 3,257
I purchased both DN 2000J and XBA-A3 at the same time. Both have great soundstage and wonderfully deep bass but still cannot compare to the best, deepest bass ever in my old UE Super.fi 5 EB's. I've been searching for a long time for a decent replacement for my UE5EB's but still not satisfied with anything I've tried so far. I'll probably keep my DN 2000J's and most likely sell my XBA-A3's ... the A3's enjoy some deep bass, but lack the sparkle of the 2000J's. I''d be interested in anyone's opinion of some earphones that might be a decent replacement for my old Super.fi EB's.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #3,158 of 3,257
I purchased both DN 2000J and XBA-A3 at the same time. Both have great soundstage and wonderfully deep bass but still cannot compare to the best, deepest bass ever in my old UE Super.fi 5 EB's. I've been searching for a long time for a decent replacement for my UE5EB's but still not satisfied with anything I've tried so far. I'll probably keep my DN 2000J's and most likely sell my XBA-A3's ... the A3's enjoy some deep bass, but lack the sparkle of the 2000J's. I''d be interested in anyone's opinion of some earphones that might be a decent replacement for my old Super.fi EB's.

Your memory must be warped the UE5EB which I have two and one works bass is narrow and not as deep as the A3 which I also have. Sound stage of the 5EB is narrow and the mids and treble are very vieled. The 5EB treble is nowhere as bright as the A3 period.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #3,159 of 3,257
Hi John - I'm not going by memory. I still listen to my EB's (I had two pairs, now only one) and my experience seems quite different from yours. I've tried Westone UM30's, Future Sonic G10's, Shure SE535's, Sennheiser IE80's and still do not experience the wide, ultra-deep, lush sub-bass of my EB's. Maybe I just got lucky with my EB's or maybe you and I experience audio differently. I'm quite satisfied by the sound stage on nearly all of the other monitors (except for the Future Sonics ... always experienced terribly narrow sound stage on any of their earphones), but I'm just not getting the same ultra-deep bass experience on any of these other earphones. I just ordered a pair of Wooduo2's and Sony XB90EX, but I'm not getting my hopes up. So, of all the earphones I've tried so far, the DN 2000J's come the closest to the UE5EB's. While the A3's might have a slight edge in the bass department, they lack the sparkle of the DN 2000J's.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #3,161 of 3,257
I thin with classical music they sometimes shine sometimes don't, but most of the times they do shine, except with older or bad recordings, was listening to Rosinni's Scala di seta and the mic crackling when thye sung loud or played loud was pretty pressent

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #3,162 of 3,257
  I thin with classical music they sometimes shine sometimes don't, but most of the times they do shine, except with older or bad recordings, was listening to Rosinni's Scala di seta and the mic crackling when thye sung loud or played loud was pretty pressent

That's not the IEMs, it's the source material.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,165 of 3,257
I'd rather have good IEMs rather than ones that dull everything. You might try using EQ for such cases.

My setup consists of a Walkman A17 -> Fiio L5 LOD -> OPPO HA-2 -> XBA-H3, no eq all flat and they are amazing phones, Let's see what sony brings up at the IFA 2015 in two weeks i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back