Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Jun 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2,071 of 3,257
Subbed.

I'm seriously considering getting these since the price drop. I love the Sony sound but it's hard to make the leap without having heard the hybrids.

Is there anyone on here that can tell me of these are an upgrade to the vsonic gr07 BE or the Dunu DN1000? I don't want to blow 240 bucks to find out that I own better stuff at almost half the price.

All comparisons and impressions are appreciated. Thanks

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #2,073 of 3,257
Got my H3s today and it's so very very good. I really wasn't expecting it to be this good after reading many bad comments but I'm truly impressed with them. Before I tell you my impression, I listen mostly to music with female vocals.

I have been using the UE900 for the past 6 months and I found them really good and thought they were my ultimate iem  ... then a month ago I got some IM70 and really like how the vocals just stands out so much more, more full and a lot clearer as well. Vocals sounded veiled or recessed on the UE900 in comparison. 

Some how the H3 has brought the things I like about the UE900 and IM70 together in one! The H3s sound full and powerful which was lacking on the UE900 .. and female vocals sound just enough in front which are very smooth and full almost like the IM70. And unlike the IM70, the sony has the highs to go with it .. the IM70 is missing highs when I go back and forth between them. The IM70 still has amazing vocals but the sony feels like the whole package .. I can't see much missing. soundstage is way wider then both UE900 and IM70. I'm not sure, I don't find the bass bloated .. it's quite tight and deep ... Maybe it lacks solid punch but I find it quite good.

Also different tips just make it sound very different .. I'm using IM70 tips and I have found them the best on the sonys. I was looking forward to trying the sony hybrid tips but did not like them at all .. a bit hard and made the sound harsh IMO. 

Anyway ... selling my UE900. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #2,074 of 3,257
Subbed.

I'm seriously considering getting these since the price drop. I love the Sony sound but it's hard to make the leap without having heard the hybrids.

Is there anyone on here that can tell me of these are an upgrade to the vsonic gr07 BE or the Dunu DN1000? I don't want to blow 240 bucks to find out that I own better stuff at almost half the price.

All comparisons and impressions are appreciated. Thanks

Not a direct upgrade IMO, but I prefer the H3 to the GR07BE and DN1k. Neither of those had enough bass for my basshead desires, and the treble was always a bit hot (especially on the GR07). The treble is less hot on the H3 while still being interesting, and the bass is obviously more pronounced. I find the upper midrange to be a little bit more forward than those two as well.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #2,075 of 3,257
  Not a direct upgrade IMO, but I prefer the H3 to the GR07BE and DN1k. Neither of those had enough bass for my basshead desires, and the treble was always a bit hot (especially on the GR07). The treble is less hot on the H3 while still being interesting, and the bass is obviously more pronounced. I find the upper midrange to be a little bit more forward than those two as well.

Basshead but with Stax? :xf_eek:

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #2,076 of 3,257
I pulled the trigger on these. I'm looking forward to having the Sony flagship iem. I can't believe how affordable they have gotten.

I love my gr07 BE. It was sibilant the first few hours out of the box. Now I feel it's as close to perfection as I have heard honestly. All this hype about the vsd3 and vsd3s and vsd5. I'm going to wait for reviews. I don't wanna spend my money pre-ordering and being the first to have them only to find out that the gr07 BE is the better phone (which I suspect is going to happen).

I'll spend the extra money for something like the h3. It sounds like it has a hifi and fun signature. Having the ex1000 driver for bass only, and adding two armature drivers to it is too awesome of a concept to not try it for $250usd.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,079 of 3,257
  Got my H3s today and it's so very very good. I really wasn't expecting it to be this good after reading many bad comments but I'm truly impressed with them. Before I tell you my impression, I listen mostly to music with female vocals.

I have been using the UE900 for the past 6 months and I found them really good and thought they were my ultimate iem  ... then a month ago I got some IM70 and really like how the vocals just stands out so much more, more full and a lot clearer as well. Vocals sounded veiled or recessed on the UE900 in comparison. 

Some how the H3 has brought the things I like about the UE900 and IM70 together in one! The H3s sound full and powerful which was lacking on the UE900 .. and female vocals sound just enough in front which are very smooth and full almost like the IM70. And unlike the IM70, the sony has the highs to go with it .. the IM70 is missing highs when I go back and forth between them. The IM70 still has amazing vocals but the sony feels like the whole package .. I can't see much missing. soundstage is way wider then both UE900 and IM70. I'm not sure, I don't find the bass bloated .. it's quite tight and deep ... Maybe it lacks solid punch but I find it quite good.

Also different tips just make it sound very different .. I'm using IM70 tips and I have found them the best on the sonys. I was looking forward to trying the sony hybrid tips but did not like them at all .. a bit hard and made the sound harsh IMO. 

Anyway ... selling my UE900. 

Thought you'd like them - female vocals really shine on these. Re the tips - I like the Sony Hybrids as the provide a bit more emphasis on the highs but I've gone back to Comply Ts 200 as I found the hybrids uncomfortable after a while. Comply's soften the highs a bit but overall, they still sound great

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2,081 of 3,257
I was pretty put off my some of the comments I read here too, especially with everyone rushing off and doing the tape mod. Maybe I just like my bass, but I'm very happy with the normal signature on the H3. It's not for everyone but it's almost completely nailing it for me. I do find the bass a little blunt and just a touch messy at times, but most of the times I love the sound and I'm just blown away by the treble extension and soundstaging. Ergonomics sure are irksome though.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,082 of 3,257
I didn't like the sound of the tape mod either. I think finding the right tips were more important to get the right sound for me because in the past 2 days I'm tried all the tips I had from my MH1, UE900, IM70, and of course all the tips that came with the H3. I found different sizes gave really different sound. I can see maybe why people might call the bass really bloated and covered up everything ... that's when I use the normal large tips and especially the complys .. all I hear is bass thats just very bloomy and all the mids and highs are covered up. So after trying all of them, I found l liked the sound of the large IM70 tips which doesn't have overwhelming bass and keeps vocals clear and in front. Using medium tips for me will move everything more forward, more clear but looses the bass a bit. 

All in all I really like these. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,083 of 3,257
  I didn't like the sound of the tape mod either. I think finding the right tips were more important to get the right sound for me because in the past 2 days I'm tried all the tips I had from my MH1, UE900, IM70, and of course all the tips that came with the H3. I found different sizes gave really different sound. I can see maybe why people might call the bass really bloated and covered up everything ... that's when I use the normal large tips and especially the complys .. all I hear is bass thats just very bloomy and all the mids and highs are covered up. So after trying all of them, I found l liked the sound of the large IM70 tips which doesn't have overwhelming bass and keeps vocals clear and in front. Using medium tips for me will move everything more forward, more clear but looses the bass a bit. 

All in all I really like these. 

It sounds better with wide open bore tips... Was having fun with ATH tips and now it sounds even better with ortofons one (bigger bore). I think the boomy bass just overpowered the other frequencies because of the small opening of sony tips. Pretty happy with current tip. Will snap some pics later... 

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #2,085 of 3,257

Basshead but with Stax? :xf_eek:

Yeah, I should clarify I like emphasized bass when I'm on the go, since I find "neutral" bass just gets washed out in background noise, so I prefer an elevated bass profile on the go. Also, my STAX have a slight bass hump and enough impact to keep me satisfied. :wink:

I pulled the trigger on these. I'm looking forward to having the Sony flagship iem. I can't believe how affordable they have gotten.

I love my gr07 BE. It was sibilant the first few hours out of the box. Now I feel it's as close to perfection as I have heard honestly. All this hype about the vsd3 and vsd3s and vsd5. I'm going to wait for reviews. I don't wanna spend my money pre-ordering and being the first to have them only to find out that the gr07 BE is the better phone (which I suspect is going to happen).

I'll spend the extra money for something like the h3. It sounds like it has a hifi and fun signature. Having the ex1000 driver for bass only, and adding two armature drivers to it is too awesome of a concept to not try it for $250usd.

Sony's flagships always get cheap pretty quickly after being released though. I'd say even with the hybrid tips, the GR07BE was still a bit sibilant for me, and I'm not really personally looking forward to the VSD3, if it does actually emulate the Shure/Westone sound because I found that too dull and boring.

Although I haven't heard the EX1000, I'm guessing it's more like the EX1k's mids and treble are recreated with BAs, and then there's a subwoofer strapped onto the whole mix. :D

Let us know what you think of them when you get them though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back