Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Aug 14, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #2,506 of 3,257
I'm using the large tips from a $6 Ivery IS1 with tape mod and they're excellent. 
I have had the H3s in from 9am till 4pm today out of a O2+ODAC and it's has been wonderfully enjoyable ... love these things. 
My Shure 846 are coming tomorrow ... lets see how they stack up.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #2,507 of 3,257
Looking forward to that Totl comparison!
I'm using the large tips from a $6 Ivery IS1 with tape mod and they're excellent. 
I have had the H3s in from 9am till 4pm today out of a O2+ODAC and it's has been wonderfully enjoyable ... love these things. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #2,510 of 3,257
As before I'm really interested in that comparison. I'm certainly using my 846's more than the H3's but I still think the H3's are fantastic for the price and actually for me they are more comfortable.  

Some mini review of the 846 vs h3 will be very welcome. Have to say they are whole different iems but still interesting the comparison.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #2,511 of 3,257
Some mini review of the 846 vs h3 will be very welcome. Have to say they are whole different iems but still interesting the comparison.

I'm no expert but I did a mini comparison earlier in this thread (post # 2263). My initial impressions haven't changed a lot . The 846 with black filter sound most like the H3 . The 846's do have quite a bit more clarity and while the bass quantity is about the same, the 846's bass is more crisp. Overall the H3's , while not in the same league as the 846, hold up extremely well and are just as enjoyable to listen to if you're looking for a more fun relaxed sound. The 846's mids are definitely more forward and overall it is more balanced but as before, the H3 IMHO is certainly not that far off and more than worth the $. Keep in mind that I was only using an iphone with 192 kbps source files

Interested to see if joey99 agrees

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #2,512 of 3,257
  I'm no expert but I did a mini comparison earlier in this thread (post # 2263). My initial impressions haven't changed a lot . The 846 with black filter sound most like the H3 . The 846's do have quite a bit more clarity and while the bass quantity is about the same, the 846's bass is more crisp. Overall the H3's , while not in the same league as the 846, hold up extremely well and are just as enjoyable to listen to if you're looking for a more fun relaxed sound. The 846's mids are definitely more forward and overall it is more balanced but as before, the H3 IMHO is certainly not that far off and more than worth the $. Keep in mind that I was only using an iphone with 192 kbps source files

as a shure iem fan im still planing to buy the 846 (used maybe). But since they are similar and im enjoying a lot more the sound from dynamic drivers, i guess i will be holding the 846 purchase =)

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #2,514 of 3,257
a prototype of the XBA-H3
smile.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #2,518 of 3,257

My 846s arrived today ... have been listening to all sorts of different things today but I mainly listen to music with female vocals. 
I think you're right on with the comparison. I really haven't done too much A-B-ing but only just enjoying the 846 at the moment. What immediately strikes me is how spectacular vocals is on the 846 .. if that's your thing, the 846 is the only one to get .. clarity and realness (if that's a word) of vocals is just amazing and quite forward .. and I love that. Vocals are slightly more distant on the H3. I'm using the tape mod on the H3 and the bass is tighter than before but the 846's bass is just so well defined.

So far, just the vocals and bass quality of the 846 was worth the price for me. As hockey_magnet  said .. H3 by all means is not that far off really .. the 846 is more than 3 times the price and one would expect some improvement. Both so very enjoyable and both very comfortable to wear. Will write more when I give it more listening over the next week.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,519 of 3,257
My 846s arrived today ... have been listening to all sorts of different things today but I mainly listen to music with female vocals. 
I think you're right on with the comparison. I really haven't done too much A-B-ing but only just enjoying the 846 at the moment. What immediately strikes me is how spectacular vocals is on the 846 .. if that's your thing, the 846 is the only one to get .. clarity and realness (if that's a word) of vocals is just amazing and quite forward .. and I love that. Vocals are slightly more distant on the H3. I'm using the tape mod on the H3 and the bass is tighter than before but the 846's bass is just so well defined.

So far, just the vocals and bass quality of the 846 was worth the price for me. As hockey_magnet  said .. H3 by all means is not that far off really .. the 846 is more than 3 times the price and one would expect some improvement. Both so very enjoyable and both very comfortable to wear. Will write more when I give it more listening over the next week.

Glad you're enjoying the 846's. Certainly the best iem I've heard to date. As you mention I think we agree on the main areas of improvement over the H3's are Clarity across the board, more forward mids inc vocals and a sharper more defined bass. Still hanging on to the H3's as a backup though :)

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #2,520 of 3,257
Went back to using my Samsung Galaxy S3 for the XBA-H3 and I can say that the phone and IEM just does not pair well. Sloppy bass, recessed mids and highs. Come E18 and it sounds fantastic. Relatively tight bass (could be tighter), but mids and highs shine. So no-go with straight to a cell phone but with an amp or DAC/AMP and it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back