Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling
Jul 24, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #347 of 583
I've got the B&O H9 3rd gen and use the cable powered off and sound even better that way.

That is an exception, not a rule. More typically, wireless headphone manufacturers use really cheap, relatively inefficient drivers in their wireless headphone products, and they needed the amplification that's built into such headphones just to sound right. Without this headphone-specific amplification and processing, these headphones all too often sound honky.

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #348 of 583
That is an exception, not a rule. More typically, wireless headphone manufacturers use really cheap, relatively inefficient drivers in their wireless headphone products, and they needed the amplification that's built into such headphones just to sound right. Without this headphone-specific amplification and processing, these headphones all too often sound honky.

I do not contradict you but I just want to point out two exceptions of wireless headphones which sound excellent: Bowers & Wilkins P7 and KEF Space One. There might be other exceptions but these are the ones I have listened to.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #349 of 583
BTW, Since I had the XM5 recently and returned it, I have since very recently bought the XM4 (again) for 210 pounds UK and I am really liking it.

I had the XM4 about a year ago and reckon that they have done something to improve it?

Has anyone else bought the XM4 recently and have similar thoughts?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #350 of 583
Im waiting for the momentum 4.But is it worth getting these instead? The most important thing for me is anc,but of course,also good sound.I already have the edifier spirit s3 wich sounds great,but lacks a little bass and dont have anc.I have some good headphones/iems for home use whith dac/amp.But would love to have an headphone with anc for noisy enviroments.I have the shure aonic 4,wich have good passive isolation,but its easier and comfyer with an headphone.Not sure to pull the trigger on xm5 or wait for momentum 4.Wonder if the momentum 4 will have better anc than xm5s 🤔 I would want to have the best anc awailable and decent sound.Not too dark and muddy sound.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #351 of 583
Im waiting for the momentum 4.But is it worth getting these instead? The most important thing for me is anc,but of course,also good sound.I already have the edifier spirit s3 wich sounds great,but lacks a little bass and dont have anc.I have some good headphones/iems for home use whith dac/amp.But would love to have an headphone with anc for noisy enviroments.I have the shure aonic 4,wich have good passive isolation,but its easier and comfyer with an headphone.Not sure to pull the trigger on xm5 or wait for momentum 4.Wonder if the momentum 4 will have better anc than xm5s 🤔 I would want to have the best anc awailable and decent sound.Not too dark and muddy sound.
Hi.
I was in a similar situation. I had the Momentum 3 and, although I loved the sound, I found the ANC lacking.
I pulled the trigger on the XM5 because, to be honest, I knew (we'll see if I was right) the ANC of the Momentum 4 would be an improvement over the M3, but not up to the XM5. And what I need is decent sound that I can eq and excellent ANC.
And after seeing the Momentum 4 leak, the terrible design, I'm glad I purchased the XM5. They respond to eq very well and the noise cancelling is stunning.
I'm using Chrono's eq settings from his review in Headphone Show. Look it up. He's not crazy about the headphones, but I prefer them to the Momentum 3. And I really like the XM5 design, much more than the design of the Momentum 4 (if that leak turns out to be real, which it seems it will be).

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #352 of 583
Hi.
I was in a similar situation. I had the Momentum 3 and, although I loved the sound, I found the ANC lacking.
I pulled the trigger on the XM5 because, to be honest, I knew (we'll see if I was right) the ANC of the Momentum 4 would be an improvement over the M3, but not up to the XM5. And what I need is decent sound that I can eq and excellent ANC.
And after seeing the Momentum 4 leak, the terrible design, I'm glad I purchased the XM5. They respond to eq very well and the noise cancelling is stunning.
I'm using Chrono's eq settings from his review in Headphone Show. Look it up. He's not crazy about the headphones, but I prefer them to the Momentum 3. And I really like the XM5 design, much more than the design of the Momentum 4 (if that leak turns out to be real, which it seems it will be).
Tnx for reply.This helped me a lot 😊 I think i will pull the trigger on the xm5s,since i want strong anc.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #354 of 583
I would want to have the best anc awailable and decent sound.Not too dark and muddy sound.
i have had so many anc headphones from the top tier brands. just take the xm5 and be happy. you will not regret it :) .

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #357 of 583
i have had so many anc headphones from the top tier brands. just take the xm5 and be happy. you will not regret it :) .
Got the xm5s.But i bought them for my daughter.Her old headphones got broken earlier this week.I might go for the momentum 4s.The xm5s sounded good and great anc,if not perfect.But i paid 502 euros fot them here in norway.Too expensive.But i wanted the best anc so she can play low/safe volume and take care of her hearing.I have people in my family with hearing loss,and still with hearing aid,i can see how irritating and problematic it can be in daily life.But sony shouldnt have charged that much for them.

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #358 of 583
Got the xm5s.But i bought them for my daughter.Her old headphones got broken earlier this week.I might go for the momentum 4s.The xm5s sounded good and great anc,if not perfect.But i paid 502 euros fot them here in norway.Too expensive.But i wanted the best anc so she can play low/safe volume and take care of her hearing.I have people in my family with hearing loss,and still with hearing aid,i can see how irritating and problematic it can be in daily life.But sony shouldnt have charged that much for them.
It's a good reason to buy them.
Best to listen to them quiet for few weeks and find the best volume.
Compromise between detail and loudness.

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #359 of 583
But i paid 502 euros fot them here in norway.
yes this is too much for what the xm5 is worth in my opinion. here in germany you get them for just above 300 euro when there is a special offer.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #360 of 583
Screenshot_20220806-202509_Headphones.jpg

Is this how load im playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back