Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling
Apr 23, 2022 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 575

feverfive

Headphoneus Supremus
https://www.techniknews.net/news/sony-wh-1000xm5-erste-informationen-vorab-exklusiv/

An anonymous retail source spoke to Germany-based TechnikNews, advising the successor to Sony's WH-1000XM4 will sport a redesign.

sony-wh-1000xm5.jpg

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 575
These are looking extra nice. I'm still very much enjoying my XM3s so no plans to upgrade soon but I like that they went through the effort of making a new look for them, very fresh.

I don't speak any German but are there any juicy details in that article worth noting?

May 12, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 575
May 13, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 575
Can I connect them to PC via cable and at the same time be connected via Bluetooth to my phone so that I could answer a call while i.e watching a movie on a PC without switching connection or doing anything?

May 14, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 575
https://www.soundguys.com/sony-wh-1000xm5-review-71783/

Soundguys' measurements on their B&K 5128.

An interesting observation : at first I though that Sony had been inspired by Apple's spring loaded pivot mechanism to join the headband to the earcups, but it turns out that - thankfully - Sony uses a traditional Y shaped yoke mechanism, hidden inside the earcup :

Screenshot 2022-05-14 at 08.40.57.png

Perhaps this may be the motivation behind the use of a smaller driver size as it moves the yoke a little bit inboard relative to an external yoke and possibly reduces the available width where the driver sits.
Or maybe it's just Sony doing something "just because we can" as they often do in audio it seems.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 575
The fact that they don’t fold completely in a compact case like the XM4’s is mind boggling. The convenience factor is important. The design is slick but at the cost of practicality

May 14, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 575
I'm gonna give it a whirl sometime since I like the comfort (weight), ANC performance, LDAC performance (if using a good transmitter) of the XM series. I do hope the the bass is tapered down. I'm actually most interested in the measurements right now (until I listen to it myself).

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 575
Very excited to get my hands on these this Friday. Of course the reviews are glowing and calling these the greatest ANC headphones ever made. Same was said about the XM4 but I disagreed, although I did feel they were the best value in ANC headphones when you look at the complete package. If it's true that the sound has been cleaned up and the bass slightly dialed back, these may very well be the greatest ANC headphones ever. Top battery life, Best comfort, best features, best ANC, much improved transparency mode, and now call quality and call isolation that surpasses the Bose 700? If the sound is even comparable to my Mark Levinson 5909, PSB M4U 8 MKII, and Apple AirPods Max, these will be the God of all wireless headphones.

May 17, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #14 of 575
highly recommended review:

highlight the xm4: 8 mics = better ANC + much better call quality

May 17, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #15 of 575
Can I connect them to PC via cable and at the same time be connected via Bluetooth to my phone so that I could answer a call while i.e watching a movie on a PC without switching connection or doing anything?
it supports multi point connection via bluetooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back