Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 3, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #31 of 1,079
To me, the “walk to the next level of sound” would normally mean a Walkman with higher output power. But one of the Satos in the team explained in an interview that the 250 mW output limit was due to the voltage limit of the semiconductor for the S-Master developed by then. I wonder if they managed to overcome that limit with a new version of the S-Master, or if they went with a hybrid design based on the learning of the TA-ZH1ES, to rise the output to a more competitive level with modern DAPs without affect the better life too much?

A hybrid design would require more battery capacity, so hopefully they're gonna have a 3rd generation of the S-Master HX or something, combined with some new caps, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #32 of 1,079
I hope they really pushed the s master chip abilities or introduced something new, there's strong competition nowadays from the likes of Fiio/hiby/Cayin/ibasso - all of them are pushing sound quality, and with r2r daps approaching 1000 USD and offering close to desktop sound quality. I find my ZX507 a little underwhelming, it's OK and coherent sounding but for the money it should really blow one's socks off

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #34 of 1,079
I wonder if “plague island” will still have the volume cap ??
It will until parliament ditches the EU rule and it looks like Boris is toning down his Ditch EU rules drive in order to promote the Net zero drive

Feb 3, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #35 of 1,079
Edit:

Feb 3, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #37 of 1,079
Feb 3, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #39 of 1,079
Feb 3, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #40 of 1,079
Right, it’s Linux.

Internally, the WM1A/Z OS is called BBDMP2, while the DMP-Z1 one is BBDMP4, and yes, they're basically Linux, with an ARMv7 native binary app which is the player UI which we see, with services running in the background.

Feb 3, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #41 of 1,079
My apologies if this has been posted before? But I don’t see it anywhere?

Los Angeles - February 8th, 17:00
New York - February 8th, 20:00
London, UK - February 9th, 01:00
Melbourne, Australia - February 9th, 12:00

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #42 of 1,079
As someone who just bought a second hand WM1A, I don't know if I should be feeling any form of missing out. I just got the battery replaced and my library is offline. Nonetheless, still very excited to walk with Sony to the next level of Walkman

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #43 of 1,079
As someone who just bought a second hand WM1A, I don't know if I should be feeling any form of missing out. I just got the battery replaced and my library is offline. Nonetheless, still very excited to walk with Sony to the next level of Walkman
I bought a brand new inbox WM1Z early this week hahaha. The new device won't suddenly make my 1Z sounds worse or anything and I'm really happy with it. Of course I still want to see what this new release is.

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #45 of 1,079
I bought a brand new inbox WM1Z early this week hahaha. The new device won't suddenly make my 1Z sounds worse or anything and I'm really happy with it. Of course I still want to see what this new release is.
Haha I highly doubt so. Thus far the only way Sony has gimped their own products is with their own proprietary nonsense like the WM-Port. Cheers to listening to music from the legendary Sony brick!:beerchug:
Regardless of whatever comes the WM1A & WM1Z will retain their legendary status among the Walkman line...IMO of course.
Indeed! The gold and black brick will always be king of kings regardless of what comes after!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back