Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 4, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #8,162 of 8,223
I also just want to know if it'll ever be released, or if what we have now is the endpoint.
Same here, I love the wm1a, and the mrwalkman mods imo are what made it so great :) I understand mrwalkman's situation, but it would be nice to get a small update to understand what's going on and if he'll give the software one last upgrade or not

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #8,163 of 8,223
Hello, I can help with the service manual:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/e9j2...nual.pdf?rlkey=gs1wea022izvmupetqw45xff1&dl=0

These devices are not that complicated to open.
Forgive the OT question, but since you mentioned it... I have a NW-A55 with a bad battery, and figuring I had nothing to lose, opened it. I tried to replace it with a battery (a few, actually) from Ali. Two questions:

1) after soldering the new battery in, it starts but won't charge, only the thermometer symbol over the battery icon; what am I doing wrong?
2) assuming I can do 1), they are fairly easy to open.. but is there a trick to getting them closed up again?

I've pretty much written the thing off as it lay open with a few failed batteries laying about (same thermometer icon), but was just curious.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #8,164 of 8,223
Forgive the OT question, but since you mentioned it... I have a NW-A55 with a bad battery, and figuring I had nothing to lose, opened it. I tried to replace it with a battery (a few, actually) from Ali. Two questions:

1) after soldering the new battery in, it starts but won't charge, only the thermometer symbol over the battery icon; what am I doing wrong?
2) assuming I can do 1), they are fairly easy to open.. but is there a trick to getting them closed up again?

I've pretty much written the thing off as it lay open with a few failed batteries laying about (same thermometer icon), but was just curious.
Is it a Sony original battery? If not you likely need to use the controller from the original battery

Q-6

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #8,166 of 8,223
This is very interesting.
I didn't have a lot of time for this, so I made some test measurements to see how the frequency response changes when changing the settings.
At the moment I have the stock firmware 3.01 installed and didn't have time to keep changing regions.
I decided to check how vinyl imitation settings affect the output signal of the player.
In the attached files are the graphs obtained during measurements, you will understand what to what according to the legend.

For measurements I used REW application. Output signal is 96 kHz. The player as a DAC.
The output signal was taken from the balanced output through a nice thick copper interblock cable.
As an input channel I used PreSonus Audiobox 22VSL audio interface input.
I'm not an expert in such measurements and electronics, maybe I did something wrong, maybe I made the connection incorrectly. But during the measurements I had a very fast battery drain on the player, and when I switched on simultaneous charging with the player while using it as a DAC, the player got very hot and the warning indicator (mark on the battery) started blinking and I had to stop the measurements.

When I have more time I'll try taking measurements on the Walkman One firmware with different regions.
very interesting, do you think you can get the graphs for DC Phase Linearizer settings, i'm curious how the Type A & B low compare to Standard & High

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #8,167 of 8,223
very interesting, do you think you can get the graphs for DC Phase Linearizer settings, i'm curious how the Type A & B low compare to Standard & High
Yes, I plan to test the effect of all the settings on the output signal. Then I want to see the effect of different regions. I am currently on a business trip doing a very different kind of testing. I will be able to do this WM1A research in a week or two.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #8,169 of 8,223
So, I finally got the mrwalkman firmware working! I've got a few questions about some of the settings and their functionality though, since I'm very new to all of this. For the time being I will be using the nw-a50 with the sony wh-1000xm4. From what I understand the settings like the eq, dcaa etc. don't work when using bluetooth headphones, is that right? What about the rest of the functions of the fw - namely the region change and sound signature? If they don't I don't think I see the reason to make the switch to a custom fw if I'm going to be using wireless headphones. Also, do the nw-a50 stock fw sound setting work with BT connection anyway?
Thanks!

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #8,170 of 8,223
So, I finally got the mrwalkman firmware working! I've got a few questions about some of the settings and their functionality though, since I'm very new to all of this. For the time being I will be using the nw-a50 with the sony wh-1000xm4. From what I understand the settings like the eq, dcaa etc. don't work when using bluetooth headphones, is that right? What about the rest of the functions of the fw - namely the region change and sound signature? If they don't I don't think I see the reason to make the switch to a custom fw if I'm going to be using wireless headphones. Also, do the nw-a50 stock fw sound setting work with BT connection anyway?
Thanks!
Nothing from the player on either fw work over BT, only the settings you can set in the Sony headphone app. The only thing the player does is sending the digital stream of your music file to the headphone. All dac and amping is done purely by the headphone

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #8,172 of 8,223
Nothing from the player on either fw work over BT, only the settings you can set in the Sony headphone app. The only thing the player does is sending the digital stream of your music file to the headphone. All dac and amping is done purely by the headphone
I'd keep the custom fw for the extra functionalities it brings to the A50 even if you only use it on BT
Damn, okay, thanks for pointing that out. I've been quite content with the sound quality so far using the stock fw + the wh-1000xm4s, but it does seem like I'm missing out on a lot more by going wireless (a change I made mostly because it was time to switch from my ipod classic). I've been upgrading my music library this week from lower-quality and higher-quality Mp3s to Hi-Res and in many instances I can pick out differences even on the wireless sonys. I mostly use my headphones when commuting (usually for about an hour or two a day) or traveling for longer. Now I'm thinking about making the change to IEMs. Do you people have any beginner budget-friendly recs for getting my first IEMs? Anything I should know about IEMs before actually getting a pair?

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #8,173 of 8,223
Damn, okay, thanks for pointing that out. I've been quite content with the sound quality so far using the stock fw + the wh-1000xm4s, but it does seem like I'm missing out on a lot more by going wireless (a change I made mostly because it was time to switch from my ipod classic). I've been upgrading my music library this week from lower-quality and higher-quality Mp3s to Hi-Res and in many instances I can pick out differences even on the wireless sonys. I mostly use my headphones when commuting (usually for about an hour or two a day) or traveling for longer. Now I'm thinking about making the change to IEMs. Do you people have any beginner budget-friendly recs for getting my first IEMs? Anything I should know about IEMs before actually getting a pair?
Try to use the included cable with the XM4 and MrWalkman fw and see if you detect any meaningful differences to you

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #8,175 of 8,223
Does that actually switch off the DAC/AMP of the headphone, or are you just getting extra AD->DA conversions and double amping?
As I understand it that turns the XM4 into a pure analog headphone but I could be wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back