Sony SCD-C555ES Hot Rod: sacdmods.com Mods Impressions/Review
Jul 1, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #92 of 233
Hi Leo, I just put em on straight away, so I haven't really A/B'ed before/after.

KAS Audio Primus due tomorrow!
600smile.gif
After a few days, I'll write up some final thoughts on the 555ES Hot Rod.

Mark

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #93 of 233
Leo & markl, I use the cardas caps and maybe I'm lucky but I can't here any difference with or without them. I've also tried some red rubber caps from MCM that are about 3.00 a dozen and can't tell with or without them either. Do I use them anyway? Yes. They look cool and maybe during the day when everything is turned on around here they might be doing some good. I'm glad I don't pick up any noise to worry about. I've always wondered if living in the city or an apartment building would make things like the caps more usful?

Jul 1, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #94 of 233
Hello 555es enthusists.

Looks like I wont be getting a moded unit afterall.

They sent it to me from ss, instead of to sacdmods, and well, one of my friends was selling their sacd player because he needs the money and hasnt been using it lately.

So I called ss and they said I could return it(its totally unopened),
and refund my money.

So all you guys enjoy those 555es. They are nice units(but what I am getting might be better!)
Sorry I wont be able to do a stock, moded comparison.

k.s.

Jul 1, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #95 of 233
What are you getting instead?

Jul 1, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #96 of 233
KShaft you traitor!
eek.gif
600smile.gif
Best of luck with your new source, and try to enjoy it (no matter how much it lags behind the 555ES Hot Rod).
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Mark

Jul 2, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #99 of 233
Well, this wouldnt have happened if they sent it to the right place
biggrin.gif
But It happened for a reason. A fellow head-fier needs the money, so Ill buy his product because its very good, and also its very modable, or a SUPERB transport. So we help each other out.

And Leo, that was a good guess. Youre very close! the 777es is the player I was SERIOUSLY looking at and would have picked up if not for the fellow Head-Fier selling his similar unit.

heheh.

Id love to hear the Hot rod 555es at a meet or whatnot, and am looking foreward to Markl's full review.
k.s.

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:18 AM Post #100 of 233
Question for Markl, sacdlover and anyone else with a 555es (modded or stock) - how's the headphone jack sound? I've read that the jacks on some higher model Sony ES cdps (xa777es, 777es) are actually fairly good, wondering how this one fares.

-dd3mon

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:50 AM Post #101 of 233
To be honest I wasnt that impressed with it.

Ive had older 7es units and they were very good. The 555es one didnt move me as much, but it was better than nothing to be sure!

The moded ones(at least by SACDmods) the headphone out is disabled as the zap filter takes over the completely in the analogue section.

k.s.

Jul 2, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #102 of 233
Quote:

Question for Markl, sacdlover and anyone else with a 555es (modded or stock) - how's the headphone jack sound? I've read that the jacks on some higher model Sony ES cdps (xa777es, 777es) are actually fairly good, wondering how this one fares.

dd3mon, as KShaft mentioned, Anker's mod disables the headphone jack, but if it's identical to the one on the 333ES, it wouldn't be missed.

Jul 2, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #103 of 233
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
dd3mon, as KShaft mentioned, Anker's mod disables the headphone jack, but if it's identical to the one on the 333ES, it wouldn't be missed.

I concur. The headphone jack is horrendous, muddy and sounds like it's clipping. With my 580's listening from my Portable CD player would yield better results.

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #104 of 233
Thanks for the info guys - sounds like going ampless on this unit would be pretty stupid (even has a holdover), or impossible in the case of the modded version.

-dd3mon

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #105 of 233
Oh - here's another little tidbit of info I just received from Oade Brothers - I don't know if this is common knowledge yet or not.

Quote:

Hello,

The SCD-C555ES has been discontinued.

The SCD-C222ES is $XXX, In Stock.

Thank You,

Oade Brothers Audio
316 S. Broad St.
Thomasville, GA 31792
(229) 228-4480
(229) 228-0112 (Fax)

Price of the 222 removed for the same reasons it is not posted on his website. However, I can tell you his price on the 222 is by far the lowest I've seen.

Didn't know the 555es is officially discontinued.

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back