Sony SCD-C555ES Hot Rod: sacdmods.com Mods Impressions/Review
Jul 16, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #151 of 233
Doh! Sorry.....
frown.gif
(sheepishly) sacdlover started it...

Jul 16, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #152 of 233
dd3mon, actually a head-fier already posted a link to the player in the gear for sale section, so a lot of us already knew it was there. You have the 775 so I would look into modding it. The sacdmods 222es/775 are also excellent. If your not using the 555es with speakers the 222es/775 is just as satisfying. Since you wont have a 555es and 775 to do a direct comparison I doubt you would be anything but extremely pleased with an sacdmods 775. The 222es/775 has the same musicality just not the extra dynamics and more enveloping soundstage of the 555es.
wink.gif
I have one 555es and TWO 222es.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 16, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #153 of 233
Ah but dont underestimate dynamics! Its the reason why I sold my last cdp(well one of the reasons). The player was musical, but weak with no drive, oomph or prat. It flowed alright. Too much.

Jul 17, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #154 of 233
Oh I am not underestimating them at all, dynamics are especially important to me. You would have to hear the dynamics of the 555es to understand. The 222es in no way lacks dynamics but the 555es makes you think you have a sub hidden in the room. As I said before, the 222es is just a little bit less of everything; and this extra you get with the 555es doesnt come through nearly as well with headphones. Furthermore, the 222es with my gilmore v1 will rock the house when I have it hooked up to the big rigs speakers. The 222es can do it all, just not quite up to the 555s standard.

Jul 17, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #158 of 233
Gone are the days of secret bargains
frown.gif

I'm not really upset at anyone, just playing. Although it would be exceptional to get this player at the current price
smily_headphones1.gif

If this falls through for me (very likely as the amount I would pay is not much more than it's currently at) - I may inquire more seriously about adding a zap filter to the ce775 mods. Matt hasn't replied to my e-mail unfortunately (please step in here if you didn't receive it) - I'm sure he's a pretty busy guy though.

On a more positive and "already paid for" note - I will hopefully be receiving a pair of VD Reference interconnects tommorow to replace the current crappy ones I have been using
600smile.gif

-dd3mon

Jul 17, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #160 of 233
Quote:

Originally posted by bluesaint
don't worry, the price i'm willing to pay isn't "That" much more above the current price, probably a few hundred more max. It'll be a excuse for me to really consider the 777es. I don't know, SCD-1 seems overkill to use on 2ch sacd headphone.

heh, the guy selling is is buying an scd-1 to replace it. I've read some reviews that don't speak particularly highly of the scd-1's redbook playback though (almost goes without saying that the sacd playback is spectacular).

-dd3mon

Jul 17, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #161 of 233
Quote:

Matt hasn't replied to my e-mail unfortunately (please step in here if you didn't receive it) - I'm sure he's a pretty busy guy though.

I don't think I got it. Did you use my email form?

About the time you would have sent it, Bravenet was doing some major software upgrades to their mail servers and a few messages could have fallen through the cracks. I get about 95% of the messages received successfully, and the form processor sure beats the spam. I had to abandon an email address because the search engines picked up my email for every spammer to copy down. Never publish your email address on a website that gets indexed in a search engine. Essentially, don't include your full email address in an Audio Asylum post.

Send the email again, or you can private message me here with your email in the PM.

As far as the used player goes, it is in excellent shape and one of your guys could save a lot of money by buying it. I don't know exactly why John's selling it, but I sure hope he's made his SCD-1 comparison before he put it up for auction. At least I'm proud to have made him a ture SACD addict.

Jul 17, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #162 of 233
The scd-1 is also a modded gold mine.

Perhaps you would consider doing similar mods to a scd-1, Matt?

Even the high and mighty scd-1 uses op-amps in its analogue circuit(which is really moronic IMHO), and what unit couldnt benefit from a premium clock.

Audiocom mods are very intricate. After the superclock mod(with ps) They replace little things here and there. They are effective no doubt but sometimes I wonder if there arent simpler, more effective ways to mod the unit. This is from a layman's viewpoint though, but we all see how effective Matt's mods are.

Jul 17, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #163 of 233
Also, the scd-1 on redbook is as good as players in the $3k price retail price range. Many however do not like sony house sound, which can seem unmusical. Sony players are very suceptable to less than optimal power, as digital generaly is, but the sony players seem to be more so than others(this is from experience and testimony).

As I said in another thread, I would probably get a used redbook player for about the same price as a used or refirbished scd-1 if I had the cash. A few sacds arent worth the loss in redbook playback of most of my favorite recordings which are indeed, regular cd recordings. Now if they rereleased some of my favorites in sacd, then my priorities would change. This is all acedemic however, as Im buying a scd-1 from a fellow headfier at a great price, along with his ultimate lab cable. ERRRRR!

k.s.

Jul 18, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #164 of 233
Sorry guys, I'm not going to be modding one of those SCD-1's unless one of you wants to loan me yours for a month.

In order to mod it, I've got to buy it.

In order to buy it, I've got to have a load of spending money.

In order to get that, I shouldn't have bought that big old Audio Research preamp that I love so much.

So who wants to let me borrow his/her SCD-1?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back