SONY PFRV1 Personal Field Speaker Headphones on ebay. Low price.
Mar 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #16 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a broader note, though, I think it's awesome that a big company like Sony finds room to be so innovative with one of its products.

well to be fair... they did first try the market with their mdr-f1. Next step is orb audio size speakers dangeling on a headband like those corny beercaps for football games.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 67
sony-field-speakers.jpg

They dont look too enticing.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 67
I have this. It's power hunger; it does not sound good until louder volume. It has somewhat harsh top (why Sony keeps doing that?) It does have mid bass, it does not have deep bass; and, it's not as little as many believe; let's say, no "ohm" factor. It is fairly comfortable, the bass "poke" don't hurt; if they hurt..., they should not go into your ears. My normal full size can is Denon 5000; I mostly use IEM; it takes about 10 mins to get used and enjoy very much to its sound. To increase bass volume, half-insert earplugs to your ears; strange enough, treble seem un-reduced.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #20 of 67
I have had a set of these for over a year. with a proper amp they are fantastic. (they come with a crappy lil amp) My only negative comment is they suck when your laying on the couch. But other then that I can not give a negative "sound" review. I find they have more then enough base (provided you wear them properly) and some fantastic detail. Beautiful sound stage. I find them very underrated for what they provide. I wish I would of got mine for 179.00. These are my BBQing / cooking cans. use them a lot outside.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #23 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had a set of these for over a year. with a proper amp they are fantastic. (they come with a crappy lil amp) My only negative comment is they suck when your laying on the couch. But other then that I can not give a negative "sound" review. I find they have more then enough base (provided you wear them properly) and some fantastic detail. Beautiful sound stage. I find them very underrated for what they provide. I wish I would of got mine for 179.00. These are my BBQing / cooking cans. use them a lot outside.

One problem was a member who claimed these would be the next K1000 or K1000 killers, so I feel many wanted them to fail for that reason. He was a bit cocky and boastful. Others are upset that sony didn't come out with a true succesor to the SA5000. A headphone you and I both love. Sony needs to make a 1,000 headphone with the Quila 10 technology, minus the 3 different fitting sizes, that and the price 3,700, pretty much killed it, and was a huge failure from a marketing stand point. I'd still give my left pinky for one.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One problem was a member who claimed these would be the next K1000 or K1000 killers, so I feel many wanted them to fail for that reason. He was a bit cocky and boastful. Others are upset that sony didn't come out with a true succesor to the SA5000. A headphone you and I both love. Sony needs to make a 1,000 headphone with the Quila 10 technology, minus the 3 different fitting sizes, that and the price 3,700, pretty much killed it, and was a huge failure from a marketing stand point. I'd still give my left pinky for one.

I had the chance to audit them 6 months ago at Fry's in San Jose. You can call them and see if they are still have them on display.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 67
All I can say, is I paid $230.00 shipped from the UK for my pair and have never felt these were not worth the price. At $179.00 I would consider them a steal.

I get some really goofy looks when people come over and see them on. but when worn properly not only are they very comfortable. They have very nice sound. They do however require an amp. I tried them without one and they are lethargic and dull. even the crappy lil amp that comes with them add a lot of life. I use my lil headroom micro amp with these cans and they just sound incredible. At least to me and the people that have actually tried them.

one other note, my pair did not come into their sound until after 200 hours or so of burnin. which to me is a minimum for Sony HP's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #28 of 67
Same price on Amazon with only $6.99 shipping, was free shipping two weeks ago.

I was going to get one but I assume it will bother everyone like having your laptop speaker on really loud.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #29 of 67
I just ordered it off amazon marketplace from seller "Lots deals 4 U" for $177 shipped and only 4 left, also with 3% back from using the amazon chase card (hehe people like me cause economic collapses). I look forward to comparing it to ultrasones since they both claim to make use of the outer ear and have accurate soundstaging, although I doubt the pfr-v1 can create as large a soundstage as the pro 900 which directs sounds from outside the perimeter of your ears. I really admire Sony's innovative designs but am worried why they keep making headphones people dislike, but I have to give them a try after being somewhat disappointed dissembling the pro 900 by its bulk and design shortcomings like the quickfix black stickers they used to cover two out of five upper holes and the merging of grounds very close to the drivers.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #30 of 67
^Yeah i too can't figure why couldn't they treat at least the Pro900 with some freakin dampening considering how substantial improvement it adds, just a square Grado'esque stubbornness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back