Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 26, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #6,916 of 7,711

I don't doubt that Japanese people, audiophile or not will be all over the ZX1. And I didn't mean marketing the product only to audiophiles, I meant for Sony to also make audiophiles happy along with the consumer crowd. I'm interested to know what issues you concerned about with the ZX1? 
I guess over all I'm happy with how the ZX1 is shaping up, the only problem I had was the power bit, but its not going to stop me getting one, it is still probably the most refined high end DAP around, and I'm actually a Sony Fanboy 
biggrin.gif

Some Sony "fanboys" did say that the ZX! does not justify the cost against their Z3 Phone, because of the to small difference in sound quality, what always makes me wonder, what do people expect and how good or better can sound get? Not to mention the source and headphones you use. If the source is Tidal/ Wimp and you use high quality in ears, I can imagine those people are right.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #6,917 of 7,711
So which (kind of) headphones provide the optimum sound quality with the ZX1 - when listening at home lying on bed or sofa, so they don´t necessarily have to be very mobile. I prefer over ears, but the internal amp is obviously too weak to properly drive eg the AKG K701. So I currently use JBL Synchros S700, which have quite a lot of bass, often rather too much.

Has anyone suggestions for over ear HP´s which provide the best sq with the ZX1 or should I change to another type of headphones eg on ear or in ear...? Btw I would not like to use an extra hp amp between zx1 and hp. Thx 4 your input!

May 7, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #6,925 of 7,711
Would have been nice if Sony released it in the US. Then I could have judged it against ZX2 pricing.
But with prices falling on the ZX1, it's just a matter of a loooong 1 year before a significant drop can be seen.
Considering the ZX1 is over a year old and Sony has released its successor, the ZX2 in the U.S., I somehow doubt that they have any intention of ever releasing the ZX1 in the U.S.

May 11, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #6,926 of 7,711
  Some Sony "fanboys" did say that the ZX! does not justify the cost against their Z3 Phone, because of the to small difference in sound quality, what always makes me wonder, what do people expect and how good or better can sound get? Not to mention the source and headphones you use. If the source is Tidal/ Wimp and you use high quality in ears, I can imagine those people are right.

Where did you find this?

Even my F886 is much better sounding than any Sony Xperia "Z" phone I've owned and I've owned quite a few lol. 

If you want a good sounding phone, buy an iPhone 6. Sony's cellphones frankly don't sound that good.

May 14, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #6,927 of 7,711

Just received my ZX1. And for those who are wondering how it sounds compared to the F886 - it is a night and day difference. I had them both sound matched and the ZX1 provided a much more powerful and visceral low end slam with a sharper decay throughout the frequency spectrum.

Soundstage wise it is quite similar to the F886 with a slight more vertical extension (perhaps due to the more powerful bass kick). Guitar strings are more refined and come alive in comparison the the F886. The F886 is a great player and I prefer it any day over my Sony Z2 or iPhone 4S but the ZX1 is really on another level. The F886 sounds slightly thin in comparison to its larger more powerful brother. 

This was tested on my XBA-4s.... Now back to enjoying my music!

May 14, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #6,928 of 7,711

Just received my ZX1. And for those who are wondering how it sounds compared to the F886 - it is a night and day difference. I had them both sound matched and the ZX1 provided a much more powerful and visceral low end slam with a sharper decay throughout the frequency spectrum.

Soundstage wise it is quite similar to the F886 with a slight more vertical extension (perhaps due to the more powerful bass kick). Guitar strings are more refined and come alive in comparison the the F886. The F886 is a great player and I prefer it any day over my Sony Z2 or iPhone 4S but the ZX1 is really on another level. The F886 sounds slightly thin in comparison to its larger more powerful brother. 

This was tested on my XBA-4s.... Now back to enjoying my music!

Enjoy your new Dap, it's all about the music.

May 28, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #6,929 of 7,711
Next week I will probably join the club. I acquired a unit for 320 €.

I kind of have the feeling, that this is one of those D555 units, so its a must to own at some time.

Cannot wait to have it in my hands :)

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #6,930 of 7,711
Now that SSD drives are so cheap, (USD99 for 250 GB), does anyone know whether there is some way to connect and use this with the ZX-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back