Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #526 of 7,711

by looking at the shape of the back of this zx1 (not totally flattened), i think will not be a nice look when stacked with an amp, especially the longer one like Theorem. But i know..outer beauty is the 2nd for you..sound is no1...right bro?...
size]

BTW, after u told me...tomorrow is my Theorem day...hope you were right...so we both are happy owner 
biggrin.gif

Maybe you just don't need an additional amp with the ZX1.  Amping a highend portable DAP may defeat the portability factor.  I suspect that the internal amplifier will be on par if not better than most highend portable amplifier.  The S-Master module is very capable and a proven product.  Sony was heavily invested in an digital amplifier even before Nad released the M2.  The Sony STR-DA9000ES was the product that also feature the "S-Master Pro".

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #527 of 7,711
The product is not even out yet, and ppl are already thinking of amping it. I love this place!

I'm going to wait when the prices come down (if ever it does) and then I'll pounce on it. No way I'm paying $700. I've got the X, F & Z to enjoy during the wait. :)

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #528 of 7,711
  The product is not even out yet, and ppl are already thinking of amping it. I love this place!

I take your point (with some amusement), but it's not entirely fair to laugh at folks for suggesting amping the NW-ZX1

What I mean is that 15mw+15mw (into 16 ohms) isn't exactly powerful, by comparison with many other devices (for example, you'll see I mention in an earlier post that Cowon quote the J3 as delivering 29mw+29mw into 16 ohms, and I find the J3 to be quite gutless when faced with a low-impedance CIEM).

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #529 of 7,711
  If Sony makes this worldwide available, I am buying one. If not, I will decide between ordering FiiO X5 from local dealer or import ZX1 from pricejapan. Then I will have to choose carefully. Let's wait and see the reviews of both units 
wink.gif

I just ran into the Filo X5 myself.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-sep-24th-2013-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor

I like it's feature set, dual MicroSD, that means 2x64GB and beyond. No nonsense IU. Coaxial out/digital in. Industrial build & best of all, rumored to be around $400 at launch in December. I too will await reviews of both and against each other before ordering. It's getting harder to justify that $760US(before local conversion and postage) price tag.

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #531 of 7,711

I take your point (with some amusement), but it's not entirely fair to laugh at folks for suggesting amping the NW-ZX1

What I mean is that 15mw+15mw (into 16 ohms) isn't exactly powerful, by comparison with many other devices (for example, you'll see I mention in an earlier post that Cowon quote the J3 as delivering 29mw+29mw into 16 ohms, and I find the J3 to be quite gutless when faced with a low-impedance CIEM).

And they're all fair arguments. I just hope that people are actually waiting to try it out first before buying an amp for it. Nothing worse than a theory being disproved the expensive way. :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #532 of 7,711
Actually, one thing I've been thinking is that being an Anniversary model, does that mean limited numbers of these will be made? I'm just debating whether or not I jump in now or wait until mid-next year for one. I can certainly see myself using one and putting it to very good use at that but just not right now.

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #533 of 7,711
  Actually, one thing I've been thinking is that being an Anniversary model, does that mean limited numbers of these will be made? I'm just debating whether or not I jump in now or wait until mid-next year for one. I can certainly see myself using one and putting it to very good use at that but just not right now.

i am thinking if ZX1 sells so good and they will immediately release ZX2 to fix the ZX1 problems... and also maybe upgrade with DSD support... it makes perfect business sense if they use iriver as reference for audiophile DAP market.. I have 3 DAP already so maybe just take a backseat to see how this goes

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #534 of 7,711
Sounds like good advice to me. I think that was just the reasoning I needed to hear to just truck on with my F807. It's been great as my primary source in the car, clear as a bell and well rounded in its feature set but since I'll be travelling abroad soon, I'll be taking it with me along with my lowly Shure SCL4s. I was thinking of taking the Ultimate Ears UE11s with me but figured it's Russia and that's one pair of IEMs I can't afford to have go missing, if only for the inconvenience of having to sit behind the drumkit on stage without them in my wireless beltpack should I have a gig to play when I'm back home again. :p

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #535 of 7,711
I am not sure, but this is an anniversary version. The 35th will not happen a second time. Though Sony could be inspired and motivated by it to join the portable HIFI market fully.

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #536 of 7,711
Fwiw I think none of the official sources mentioned ZX1 as a 35th anniversary version/editsion product and I think 35th anniversary is 2014 but this will be released in 2013 Dec....

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #537 of 7,711

I'm going to wait when the prices come down (if ever it does) and then I'll pounce on it. No way I'm paying $700. I've got the X, F & Z to enjoy during the wait. :)

+1

Add to that the fact that even Sony has "already [thought] of amping it."   
tongue.gif

Enter the Sony PHA-2 portable DAC/amplifier, offering three choices of digital input, the first of which is a port for "High Resolution Supported Walkman" - which, at the moment, includes the NWZ-ZX1 and the NW-F880 series. 

Read the text above the left-most of three arrows in this promotional photograph of the PHA-2.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-future-of-portable-music-players/

So yes, "ppl are already thinking of amping it!   I love this place!"

And unlike the PHA-1, which did not offer an analog Line Out, the PHA-2's DAC section has a Line Out - allowing you to bypass the PHA-2's analog amplifier to drive an even more powerful amp, if you desire.

Mike

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #538 of 7,711

Maybe you just don't need an additional amp with the ZX1.  Amping a highend portable DAP may defeat the portability factor.  I suspect that the internal amplifier will be on par if not better than most highend portable amplifier.  The S-Master module is very capable and a proven product.  Sony was heavily invested in an digital amplifier even before Nad released the M2.  The Sony STR-DA9000ES was the product that also feature the "S-Master Pro".

if i owned one, i won't use additional amp to drive it. Personally, i prefer stand alone DAP to my capable driving IEM or cans. I never liked the sound of DAP+amp. I much prefer using ipod if amped. But person like Rudi is an extreme listener, and he has a small weekly group member consist of an extreme listener like him self, they do whatever they can do and no matter how it looks like turn to be, digging sound from good - best - very best - even though the weird one..hahaha...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back