Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 7, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #2,841 of 7,711
  roughly £480 from PJ... a good saving not to be scoffed at.

You said something about Japan increasing the taxes. When it is going to happen? They have no mercy for student do they
happy_face1.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #2,843 of 7,711
I have tried some upper tier ciems (none from noble audio though) and to me UERM (flat), Jh13(slight v shape), ES5 (warm, rolled off highs) are all good choices depending on what you want.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #2,844 of 7,711
Alpha, great to see you back.

I love the Z1070 but the ZX1 is a step-up but it can be unforgiving with older recordings from 60/70's, imo the WM-Z has the edge with the older stuff it has a touch of warmth which suits the music from that era (soul & rock)... apart from that the ZX1 has it beat hands down, the bass is a tad deeper with better punch (it rumbles deep), the hi's are a delight, the mids seem a little recessed but that could have something to do with the 5.0's being a bit laid back... I'll have some Noble-6's this week but no Walkman's for two weeks, I've loaned them to a manufacturer as a favour, ho-hum.

I think it's a worthy package for the price, it might be an idea to hold off to see if there is a USA release, it'll be cheaper than getting it from Japan I reckon.

Amber... Japan are putting up taxes on consumer goods, think it's March or April.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #2,845 of 7,711

I love the Z1070 but the ZX1 is a step-up but it can be unforgiving with older recordings from 60/70's, imo the WM-Z has the edge with the older stuff it has a touch of warmth which suits the music from that era (soul & rock)... apart from that the ZX1 has it beat hands down, the bass is a tad deeper with better punch (it rumbles deep), the hi's are a delight, the mids seem a little recessed but that could have something to do with the 5.0's being a bit laid back... I'll have some Noble-6's this week but no Walkman's for two weeks, I've loaned them to a manufacturer as a favour, ho-hum.

I think it's a worthy package for the price, it might be an idea to hold off to see if there is a USA release, it'll be cheaper than getting it from Japan I reckon.

Amber... Japan are putting up taxes on consumer goods, think it's March or April.

I agree... the ZX1 has made me discover a select few of my tracks that are not mastered as well as others, but at the same time I didnt realize how 3d other tracks could sound o_O

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #2,846 of 7,711

Thanks for the info mate. My birthday is on March so I better get myself a nice piece of gift
happy_face1.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #2,848 of 7,711

Cheer me up, I'm in football mourning at the moment. It always happens to us Gooners when things are going well! Eduardo, Diaby, Ramsey.... now Walcott.

I cant afford JH13/16s which is what I would really like. In case of this Euro stupid ruling, what reasonably priced 'phones would definitely be loud enough?

Those Arsenal blocks are ruining my Fantasy football teams at present. ( Won't last though !
wink_face.gif
 )

Think I'll definitely buy my ZX1 from Japan.....

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #2,849 of 7,711
  It's official, Sony announced at CES today the ZX1 is definitely coming to the European market. There's strangely no information or mention of the ZX1 on their USA website:

Press releases:

http://presscentre.sony.co.uk/content/detail.aspx?NewsAreaId=21&ReleaseID=9413

http://presscentre.sony.co.uk/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=9347&NewsAreaId=2

Hopefully it won't be afflicted with that volume cap issue that was mentioned a few pages back, as well as gaining that 'expandable' memory feature. 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for the info, Xjay. Hi Res / Home Cinema.....interesting ! Wish I had the money for all these new goodies !
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #2,850 of 7,711
The European Sony pages list the ZX1 as coming without headphones here, too, so we might get lucky and not have a volume cap built into the player. Still, I guess the only reliable way to find out will be to compare a Japanese and a Euro version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back