Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2,537 of 7,711

The problem is the stock player does not handle Ape. So ditto for anyone using Poweramp?

Respectfully, .Ape is lossless, is it not? Is there a reason why you cannot simply transcode to .flac?  (I know it's a bit of a hassle, but...)

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #2,538 of 7,711

this is going to sound really stupid... ensure the buttons on the side & base are in correct positions.

Thanks OK-Guy (your comment is not stupid at all, frequently the most obvious answer/s solve/s problems). Nonetheless, I made sure all buttons were at the correct positions; when I tested all possible connection ports ie. Audio In, Digital (Apple products) and USB (PC). The only connection/port is not working is still the "hi-res audio" connection between the ZX1>PHA-2.

Sinon... you have to download the drivers to your PC and install on PHA-2... I had same problem.

Do not install from Sony-Japan unless you have Japanese language-pack installed for Windows, can cause periodic blue-screen shutdowns... Use the link below for a safe installation, hth.

Download:- http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/576681

PHA-2 thread:- http://www.head-fi.org/t/680208/sonys-dsd-capable-pha-2-portable-headphone-amp-dac/285

Thanks Rudi for showing me OK-Guy previous post; to make sure, I have re-installed from above mentioned link, unfortunately, it is still not working :). Nevertheless, I called Sony technical support to help me out here, hopefully we can sort it out without me sending the PHA-2 back to Japan.

Cheers
SimonT

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #2,539 of 7,711

Respectfully, .Ape is lossless, is it not? Is there a reason why you cannot simply transcode to .flac?  (I know it's a bit of a hassle, but...)

Respectfully, yes it's a hassle. I remember when I had the Cowon X5, to play certain videos you had to downsize the rez and so on. In this modern age I just want to transfer files and play. Since you brought up this topic, what transcoder do you recommend?

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #2,540 of 7,711
I'm sure others here will have their favourite transcoders, but I personally find Xrecode does a respectable job, is very fairly priced, has plenty of tweakability options, and is multi-threaded, so it gets the job done relatively quickly.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,544 of 7,711

Thanks OK-Guy (your comment is not stupid at all, frequently the most obvious answer/s solve/s problems). Nonetheless, I made sure all buttons were at the correct positions; when I tested all possible connection ports ie. Audio In, Digital (Apple products) and USB (PC). The only connection/port is not working is still the "hi-res audio" connection between the ZX1>PHA-2.

Thanks Rudi for showing me OK-Guy previous post; to make sure, I have re-installed from above mentioned link, unfortunately, it is still not working :). Nevertheless, I called Sony technical support to help me out here, hopefully we can sort it out without me sending the PHA-2 back to Japan.

Cheers
SimonT

another thing, check to make sure that your feeding the PHA-2 with Hi-Res and not ordinary lossless (basic Flac, Wav, Atrac won't work).

You might be better off talking to Sony-Japan or Sony-Asia if you get no joy (PHA-2 not being available in Europe/USA yet)... though the international Walkman customer-service is great as well.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #2,546 of 7,711
Dec 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,547 of 7,711
woooo! My ZX1 shipped a day early :) It's EMS so maybe by the end of the week I'll be able to receive it. I'm pretty excited to hear them. I'll be pairing them mostly with the FA-4 or UERM for now until my other customs come back to me. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2,549 of 7,711
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I sent that back to JH Audio and apparently they are closed until next week and it probably takes 2-3 weeks for a refit so it will take some time before the JH13 impressions can come.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #2,550 of 7,711
Can anyone compare the Zx1 with C4 soundwise only? I am willing to forgive any short coming that C4 has as long as it sounds better than Ak120 or ZX1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back