Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #1,741 of 7,711
My daughter and her husband just arrived with my new Toys

From left to right

Sony XBA - H3 > Sony USB Dac cable WMC - NWH10 > Sony Walkman WMZ - ZX1 > 2 Dac Amp PHA2 > screen protector F ZX1

078f5cec8f6f6fea6a33f7e8872a05ef_zpse51d30c6.jpg

Congrats with Sony Family.
Mine will be received morning Sat.
Protection sheet is sold out.
Too bad

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,744 of 7,711
  So basically, USB OTG external storage is a no. But USB OTG audio should work with most USB DAC ,e.g. Apex Glacier
Has anyone used the LOD to connect to desktop amp to see how good the Line out is?

This DAP looks interesting.... I may wait for the local release as long as it is "made in Japan"...

I wonder if there's an app for that?

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,745 of 7,711
I got mine yesterday in the morning delivered by Fedex. Amazing how fast Fedex can work! I ordered like 3 weeks ago through PriceJapan. The parcel got picked up there in Tokyo by Fedex last Sun. It was sooo exciting to refresh the tracking page of Fedex during the following days seeing how it moved closer and closer to me (I live in Germany). When the Fedex boy reached me the parcel yesterday morning at the office at work and let me sign it, I expected to pay the customs fees directly to him, but he said customs was already cleared by them. He left and I could not believe my luck! I've saved like EUR130 by choosing Fedex now regarding customs. It also helped that Kaneda from PJ declared it with a value of 102.000JPY only. Thanks Kaneda. But please, don't get me wrong! I don't want to cheat customs and herewith cheat my government on purpose and would have paid it whatever it'd cost, but so I officially saved a lot of money. Edit: Will go to my nearest customs office asap in order declare it properly 'cause a bad conscience may blight the awesome sound of a brand-new ZX1 though. But nevertheless, I can highly recommend to order through PJ choosing the "DHL" - now Fedex delivery option, since EMS does not clear customs automatically here in Germany. KUDOS to both companies for the great service!

Plugged in the USB cable, device booted, I accepted the policy only shown in Japanese, then chose the English language option. Installed WiFi, entered Google account details and was ready to plug in my IEM Ultimate Ears UE 11 Pro's (I usually use them on stage when I play gigs, great IEM for stage anyway!) for a brief check with the stored samples here at work.

I have to admit that this is my first "real" DAP after my Sony Hi-MD MZ-RH1 means I'm sorry that I can't help you guys with comparisons with AKs etc.

Already the first samples with out-of-box settings blew me away! Transferred a few albums in FLAC before leaving to work real quick and listened to them on the train this morning. I didn't like the ClearAudio+ function so far since I only have listened to acoustic albums (Jazz, Bluegrass, Classics) played with acoustic instruments so far, also have not tried any sound changing apps yet. I'm sure that ClearAudio+ will bring some value if some rock, rap, hip-hop or whatever with drums, e-bass, e-guitar would be played. But I'm more a acoustic guy anyway. I liked to raise the ClearBass in the EQ menu a little bit.

Generally I have to say that the sq at this early stage is outstanding to me! You guys were "spoiled" with other good DAPs before, so for me it is a big step of course! The highs are crispy-clear, the mids even the lower mids much more transparent, warm and round and the bass and sub bass is clear but full of pressure without sounding poor as well. It sounds very airy and the pan seems to be as wide I have never felt it before in my live using these IEMs.

The device itself looks and feels very valuable in my eyes and hands although although the attached little case is a pc of crap. The side buttons are very helpful incl. the Pause button. Since it is a full Android based device it will give also so many more opportunities. Storage 128GB should be enough for me so far, but the missing SD card slot will probably scare some potential customers.

Finally I have to thank you guys in this thread which I followed through all the 116 pages since Sep. so far! Without you guys I would not even know that this sexy little toy would even exist! I'm probably not as audiophile as most of you guys and my technical knowledge is also pretty limited but me as a semi-pro musician having really good ears I am sure that I've finally found THE media player I desired. Without the knowledge about the ZX1 I probably would have bought a F886/7 which is also available here in GER, maybe the difference in sq is very little but the ZX1 is much more an eye catcher. Got to keep not only my ears but also my eyes on it!

I will have Bday next Mon and I can't imagine getting better gifts than the Sony Xperia Ultra with this phenomenal large and clear screen I purchased 2 weeks ago and the ZX1 now. Let's see what my poor girlfriend is going to give me seeing me so excited about those to Sony devices I've bought by myself now :)

Hope you liked my little report though....

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,746 of 7,711
I got mine yesterday in the morning delivered by Fedex.

Already the first samples with out-of-box settings blew me away! Transferred a few albums in FLAC before leaving to work real quick and listened to them on the train this morning. I didn't like the ClearAudio+ function so far since I only have listened to acoustic albums (Jazz, Bluegrass, Classics) played with acoustic instruments so far, also have not tried any sound changing apps yet. I'm sure that ClearAudio+ will bring some value if some rock, rap, hip-hop or whatever with drums, e-bass, e-guitar would be played. But I'm more a acoustic guy anyway. I liked to raise the ClearBass in the EQ menu a little bit.

Generally I have to say that the sq at this early stage is outstanding to me! You guys were "spoiled" with other good DAPs before, so for me it is a big step of course! The highs are crispy-clear, the mids even the lower mids much more transparent, warm and round and the bass and sub bass is clear but full of pressure without sounding poor as well. It sounds very airy and the pan seems to be as wide I have never felt it before in my live using these IEMs.

The device itself looks and feels very valuable in my eyes and hands although although the attached little case is a pc of crap. The side buttons are very helpful incl. the Pause button. Since it is a full Android based device it will give also so many more opportunities. Storage 128GB should be enough for me so far, but the missing SD card slot will probably scare some potential customers.

Hope you liked my little report though....

Nice little report, wishing you a coming happy birthday btw. Talk about having nice devices for one's birthday! :wink:

One quick question, in cases of warranty support where would you ship it? Mind you, you most likely not going to need it but I was wondering.

Congrats for your new toy. Sorry for your wallet.

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,747 of 7,711
A certain grumpy avian, slightly less grumpy after receiving a sleek new ZX1, apparently, had this to say.

Works beautifully AND sounds  WONDERFUL with the Etymotic ER-4S (with green filters), which is a very hard to drive IEM—all effects off on the ZX1, and it doesn't sound harsh, piercing, bright at all, nice, tight and plentiful bass, too. Wonderful combo.

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,748 of 7,711
So it drives SE5way, it drives Ety ER4S. I am assuming there shouldn't be any fear of lack of power to drive c/iems. I think I finally found my end of the game dap. Well, as there is no "perfect dap" in the world, I believe I have to live with 128 gb non-expandable storage option.

Also, special thanks to Mim for answering each of my questions. Even with the 50% volume if it goes too loud, I think I am fine with it. For home purposes, I might get PHA2 later on. Now, I have to wait until I save the rest of the money
happy_face1.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,751 of 7,711
Anyone, is it fair to assume that the one year warranty will be covered by Sony Japan and this is where one would ship it? I believe there is no English manuals so if you do have an answer to my question I would truly appreciate it.

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,755 of 7,711
  I wonder if its because K3003 needs more power???
A nice comparison would be with something in a mid-range IEM maybe Westone 4R or EX1000.
Maybe we can use the ZX-1 to lure in some rats.

I will do more testing later tonight, maybe in part due to some burn in? But right now, with ClearAudio+ enabled, the ZX1 pretty much handily beats any other DAP I've heard. Including the iphone 5s. The soundstage is out of my head (never had that with iems before) and 3d. I just about hate to use the term holographic, as it is cliche, but it's heading in that direction. While listening today at work, I looked over my shoulder twice, realizing that it was the track, not someone making noise behind me. I have a pair of GR07's I might try later, if I can be convinced to pull the 3003s out of my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back