Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #1,727 of 7,711
  Double post.

Please someone post impressions with some basic IEMs and with 320Kbps files compared with any of the previous models of Sony (After X series will be better) and no amp.

Thanks!

I'll do that once I receive mine. I'll use the GR07 MK2, no amp, and some 320kbps files. Comparison will be with X, and F series. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,728 of 7,711
Still uploading my music.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,730 of 7,711

Hope i did not see wrongly, but he just said the ZX1 won the iphone 5s by a small margin... is that still considered a winner? Since i consider iphone's SQ only average...

I don't recall but they may have been 320 files so differences wouldn't be huge among competent devices. I think the Ipod/Iphone 5 series above average though not up to the best.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,731 of 7,711

Turok... I would be deliriously interested in your views on how the ZX1 compares with your Z1070 in RB-lossless, especially with older soul/rock albums.

I will , just after uploading, and having early dinner.
"especially with older soul/rock albums " Do you have songs for me to try?

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,732 of 7,711

Did she manage to pick up the USB cable and screen protector too? I hope she did.

Yes she did for me Sean

Thank you for your suggestion and I bought Sony PHA 2 and Sony XBA H3 as well

Rudi... I encountered problems downloading the Drivers for the PHA-2 from Sony-JPN ended up getting 'blue screen' reboot every 4hrs, I think it was because I never had the Windows 'Japanese Language' pack installed... in the PHA-2 thread fkrieger has put a direct link to Sony-Asia so Drivers can be downloaded without any problems, sorted my problems out completely, hth.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680208/sonys-dsd-capable-pha-2-portable-headphone-amp-dac/285

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,733 of 7,711
  I will , just after uploading, and having early dinner.
"especially with older soul/rock albums " Do you have songs for me to try?

anything like The Dells, Delfonics, Wilson Picket, Sam & Dave, Harold Melvin, Chi-Lites etc. anything that's on Stax/Atlantic or Tamla lable recordings.

I want to know if the songs sound as lush as they do on WM-Z.

Mush overload... superb.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #1,734 of 7,711
Rudi... I encountered problems downloading the Drivers for the PHA-2 from Sony-JPN ended up getting 'blue screen' reboot every 4hrs, I think it was because I never had the Windows 'Japanese Language' pack installed... in the PHA-2 thread fkrieger has put a direct link to Sony-Asia so Drivers can be downloaded without any problems, sorted my problems out completely, hth.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680208/sonys-dsd-capable-pha-2-portable-headphone-amp-dac/285

Thank you
I will follow your advise

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #1,735 of 7,711
My daughter and her husband just arrived with my new Toys

From left to right

Sony XBA - H3 > Sony USB Dac cable WMC - NWH10 > Sony Walkman WMZ - ZX1 > 2 Dac Amp PHA2 > screen protector F ZX1

078f5cec8f6f6fea6a33f7e8872a05ef_zpse51d30c6.jpg

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,737 of 7,711
whats wrong with the ak100 and ak120 ui?

Nothing wrong with the UI.   Just that sony has done a great job on the music player app with easy access to almost everything - Seach, Playlist, Song Info, visualiser, add album art, plus the physical buttons at the sides make it a pleasant to use.    Coming from the days of DX100, DX50 with numerous firmware updates and comparing the AK120 and AK100 UIs, you will appreciate the ease and simplicity of the player.    I also use iSyncr app to syn my iTunes playlist and so android platform does have its benefits.  

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #1,738 of 7,711
My ZX1 has about four hours on it now. A few thoughts.

-Initially I found its sound comparable to the iPhone 5s out, using the akg 3003i. (which is not a bad thing). I went back and forth between both several times and finally decided the Sony won by a small margin.
-having physical buttons for pause, play, volume and ff/r is now essential to me. (the Tera dropped the ball not offering pause, I now use pause all the time).
-the player is sexy as hell.
-whomever designed the accompanying case should probably be fired. No button access?!?

And then I turned on Clear Audio+.

Wow. I usually say 'headstage' when discussing headphones, but with Clear Audio + on, it is that much closer to a speaker experience. There is definitely a volume boost, and I have gone back and forth with CA on/off with volume adjustments. No matter the volume, without Clear Audio+ on, after having listened to it, I can not go back to not using it. Anak & Mim, have you tried it?? I would be very interested in your impressions. The only downside for me so far is a questionable loss of midrange presence, but I need more time to test.

The th900 directly out of the zx1 is more than impressive. It's overall performance approaches what I have with my iOS/m8/tu-05 combo. (but only with Clear Audio+ on).

I have a WM line out cable on the way so I can use the ZX1 as source for the tu-05 and will report back. But in the meantime, with both the 3003 and the th900, the ZX1 does a phenomenal job.

Hope i did not see wrongly, but he just said the ZX1 won the iphone 5s by a small margin... is that still considered a winner? Since i consider iphone's SQ only average...

I don't recall but they may have been 320 files so differences wouldn't be huge among competent devices. I think the Ipod/Iphone 5 series above average though not up to the best.

The small margin was before I turned on ClearAudio+. Now I definitely prefer the ZX1. Using only lossess (Apples lossless on iphone and flac and Apples lossless on ZX1).

Can anyone tell me how to transfer playlists from itunes to the ZX1?? I am using mac only.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,740 of 7,711
My daughter and her husband just arrived with my new Toys

From left to right

Sony XBA - H3 > Sony USB Dac cable WMC - NWH10 > Sony Walkman WMZ - ZX1 > 2 Dac Amp PHA2 > screen protector F ZX1

Awesome. That's a lot of Sony :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back